Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail in hover .....Decent

So what should I work on next??? Nose in hover, then figure eights??? That is the order I have been working on with the sim, so far in real life I can tail in hover pretty good and do a few tail spins, 360, 180, but always go back to tail in the maintain ultimate control. Any ideas/tips? I have a hard time with foward flight then bank left or right, then rudder, but it always seems to get out of control on me...(on the sim that is)
2001rotax800 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

IMO, work on side-in hovers next until you're comfortable with both sides.

Then while you're working on nose-in hovering as the next step, you could also try some left to right forward flight with quick 180 turns at both ends.
This way you'll mostly be exposed to just side-in flight with quick 180 turns.

I would also make sure you can do any maneuver on the sim before trying it with the real heli.

This is purely one mans opinion, and there are many routes to take.
Just go slow, use the sim for what it's worth and good luck.
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once you get your orientations down, forward flight, or really any flight will prove much easier. Orientation is key in this game. Like wolf said though, side-in is probably the next thing for you.

Here's a little trick that I found useful when learning my nose-in and other orientations... Say you're nose in, and you're having a bit of trouble figuring out which way to properly move the cyclic stick. You can turn your body in the direction that the helicopter is facing, and turn your head to look at the bird. This will help your brain get used to the orientation you're trying to learn. Just turn your body in whatever way the heli is facing, so your body will be controlling it "tail-in" and your head will be "nose-in".

If that makes any sense, hopefully it will help you out. Hopefully you can do it once or twice to see what I'm actually trying to say
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbailie View Post
Here's a little trick that I found useful when learning my nose-in and other orientations... Say you're nose in, and you're having a bit of trouble figuring out which way to properly move the cyclic stick. You can turn your body in the direction that the helicopter is facing, and turn your head to look at the bird. This will help your brain get used to the orientation you're trying to learn. Just turn your body in whatever way the heli is facing, so your body will be controlling it "tail-in" and your head will be "nose-in".
+1
That's what I use to do.
Well, not when it was completely nose-in, but as the heli moved away I would turn my shoulders and follow the it.

Another "trick" is to remember STD when nose-in and in a panic.
Sticks Towards Danger
That will always get you out of trouble...as long as you're not inverted.
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sounds basically what I do. Only I tell my thumb to "go with the nose"
Utah Flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you all, I will get to work on the sim. I like the STD, its like whe I flew planes, and the plane is heading torwards you, alerion to the low wing, Thanks again.
2001rotax800 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in