Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Electronics

Electronics Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Electronic Stablization?

I have a tri-blade head for my trex 450 and I was told and read that I must have something for stablization so I never put it on because of funds for an electronic stablization unit. So tonight I decieded to try it out. I recently put up a post on how to set up the head but I got no replies. So I figured it out on my own. I must say I flew my 450 with 3 blades,no flybar and nothing for stabalization and it flies just fine. So whats all the hype?
Reaper26 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to hear it works out well for you. I haven't tried 3-bladed, but my 4-bladed head works really well without electronic assist. I was told the Gaui 365 isn't any good, hence the price is dropping also.

I have to use lots of Expo -70% and lower the pitch to 6-7 degree max. It doesn't handle wind as well as flybar head and handles slightly different.
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a heli-artist 500 fuse for my trex 450V2 and want to put a 5 bladed head on it but I didnt get any responce on what I needed besides the head. Im debating if I should try it without and electronic assistance. Its great to hear your heli flew well without any electronic gizmos to replace the flybar.
frdmflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I responded to your post frdmflyer but I just looked and it didnt show up on the thread. I basicaly said what I posted above. Try it without any stabalization. Just make sure all your blades are balanced and tracking propely and I dont think you'll have a problem. I think the more blades on a head the more stable it would be. (I think)
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont have that much Expo set up in mine but now that I see your using that much sidneyw I think I'll put some more in. It is a bit touchy.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used 40% at the beginning but I also reduced cyclic to only 4 degree and HS of 2000. It did ok, however I did not like how it handled with some wind (I'd say less than 10mph). Then, I increased the cyclic pitch back to 6 degree, increased HS to 2200-2300 rpm further increasing expo to 70% and it feels really good when it gets a little windy.

I use flex plastic blades due to the rigid head design. Super Hornet at another forum has shown the way to create your own flapping hinge head.
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll try your set up. I'll let you know how it turns out. Wont be able to try till this weekend but I will let you know.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
7wt
Registered Users

Scott, you going to bring that three bladed head to the dome Friday? I'd like to see it.
7wt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im not Scott. He and I are like best friends though. I may go to the dome on Friday so you can see it fly. ( Not gonna make the dome. LOL!) Read below!

Last edited by Reaper26; 03-25-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I found out that its alot harder to land when you lose rudder with a flybarless head. I saved it for the most part. Only blades and a few chips and scratches in the fuse and a servo. I think the culprit was my gyro. Im using a 240 and it was giving me a little trouble before. I flew with the gyro outside on my 450 before I scaled it and I thought it was cuz of the cold, but I was wrong. I should have known better. It will be a little bit before i can get it fixed. Im laid off at the moment so every cent counts.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is interesting to hear others are having the same questions. I did some asking at the LHS and he said he would do some research for me but his initial thoughts are that you need electronic stabilization if you have only 2 main blades, are flybarless and want to do 3d. He did not think you needed electronic stabilization for multi-bladed heads flying scale.
Trex 500CF - Stock
MiniTitan - Super Cobra
heirmeistr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
7wt
Registered Users

doorman on RR has a thread about this topic and swears that no electrics are needed. He has a four bladed head in an EC 135 without stabilization. I saw it fly at the all nighter and it flies real smooth. He says that you need to weight the nose so that the rear of the skids leave the ground before the front.
7wt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are lots of threads about this now. I have a four bladed head and elevated tail and four bladed tail and can fly it with no stabilization just fine. It is touchy so requires some expo and likes to float in winds, but is great inside and out on calm days.

My Gallery
majuro15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in