Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default It seems like quite a few guys dropped out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANtoolMAN View Post
Yeah. I dont get that whole chicken fried steak thing

It originated with German immigrants in the San Antonio area. It's an American spin on wiener schnitzel, using beef instead of pork.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I never knew that. I will have to ask my manager, he grew up in Texas, if he knows that.
The whole chicken fried steak thing cropped up in conversation a little while ago with me, my boss and a Canadian. The Canadian did not know anything about it.
I was like, why would you know? I spent 10 minutes looking at my plate thinking wheres the chicken. Of all the things I should remember from my life that one is up there.

Last edited by wab223; 05-25-2017 at 04:55 PM..
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab223 View Post
There are a fair few lads that I miss on this forum. Some I know have gone to the drone racing phenomena.

But there are several I wonder about, people I thought would be here after I gave up.

Archmage is one I am thinking of. Are there any others you wonder what happened to them?

I wanted to post Christopherson singing about the Disparu down in Agentina but seems like that is gone too. Van Zandt will do. And we are all cowbows anyway.

Townes Van Zandt - Pancho and Lefty. Heartworn Highways (4 min 54 sec)
yep pilots come, pilots go, in this hobby it's how it goes.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

More going than joining. Look at HFs "active" posting membership vs lets say just four years ago? But our local quad group up here in the N.W now has about 300 members in just the last year and a half?

We used to have a fairly large heli club with our own dedicated field. Now defunct. I am the only guy that has shown up at our field in the last year and a half. Only me left, (everyone else basically just quit), and one new arrival this last fall. A sponsored pilot for Synergy who transferred from back east and is a young doc at the local hospital. Man this guy can smack it around.
Our big heli meets up here have all shrunk by about half also. Spokane, Portland, Seattle, Othello, ect. The vendors don't even show anymore for the most part.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #65 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
More going than joining. Look at HFs "active" posting membership vs lets say just four years ago? But our local quad group up here in the N.W now has about 300 members in just the last year and a half?

We used to have a fairly large heli club with our own dedicated field. Now defunct. I am the only guy that has shown up at our field in the last year and a half. Only me left, (everyone else basically just quit), and one new arrival this last fall. A sponsored pilot for Synergy who transferred from back east and is a young doc at the local hospital. Man this guy can smack it around.
Our big heli meets up here have all shrunk by about half also. Spokane, Portland, Seattle, Othello, ect. The vendors don't even show anymore for the most part.
If it weren't for the plankers that have been flying at our club for 40+ years, we would have no club too.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Where's all the RCHN guys? Isn't that pretty much the epicenter of their activity? Personally, I'd love having my own dedicated heli field basically to myself instead of having to keep searching for new open areas because I got chased out of the last one when development started.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

There has been 3 or 4 helicopter guys at my AMA field since i've been there for the last 3 years. Same guys.

I think people have trouble learning to fly these machines. And they give up. Or theyve done it so long, they just bail out.

I'm good. I'll keep flying.
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
I think people have trouble learning to fly these machines. And they give up. Or theyve done it so long, they just bail out.

I'm good. I'll keep flying.
+1. Unless you have natural talent, it takes patience, time and lots of practice to learn how to fly helis proficiently. This hobby can also get expensive... On average a normal crash can easily cost upwards of $100 (blades, heli parts, etc.). Add to that the time it takes to repair the heli (waiting for parts, doing the actual repairs, setup) and people who are not hard core heli hobbyists can get frustrated and drop out. With an FPV racer most of the time all you need to do after a crash is replace props.

I myself am in this for the long haul both for the challenge of learning advanced moves, the tinkering, and also the adrenaline rush. Spending more time on the SIM though because I am currently on a tight budget.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #69 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Our club has never been very big, but we've seen interest in helis wane too. Most of the time, we could count on having 4 or 5 guys regularly on Saturday morning. Now it's more like one or two. I've been suffering burnout, more from stressful situations at home than losing interest in helis, so I haven't flown much.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
Spending more time on the SIM though because I am currently on a tight budget.
Do what ever it takes to stay in the heli hobby.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Many may have gone, but it's good to see you're still in the game.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem is lack of new blood. As we "regulars" and people that fly (or try to fly) often grow up stuff happens. I am considering a break because of life stuff and I have just built my Heli fleet to where I had envisioned. But motion would keep on going if we had new blood. I keep finding awesome YouTube videos but most not on the US. Everyone wants to go FPV and avoid the hardships of helis. Or they want fortune and glory which can be found on FPV but not on helis. Plus many don't even know it exists with so many just glued to phones and iPads. Strange new world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Our club has never been very big, but we've seen interest in helis wane too. Most of the time, we could count on having 4 or 5 guys regularly on Saturday morning. Now it's more like one or two. I've been suffering burnout, more from stressful situations at home than losing interest in helis, so I haven't flown much.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroutt19 View Post
I have not been able to fly due to not having extra funds to get things needed to get birds back in the air! That is changing next week. I went kind of dead quite on here, dont have anything new to talk about. I am sure that is going to change as well...lol
oh missed this one, take it easy, would hate to see you burn out too quickly early in the game.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
Land Management...Bureau (of)

It's a govt thing

Where's the Bundy crowd when you need them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erospawn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelisRock View Post
The idiots on the City Council in Menlo Park, CA

So it is literally a crime to fly your Helicopter or any Rc aircraft or did it come from dronaphobia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erospawn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn View Post

no kidding! i was listening to some talk radio last year and they said those Bundy's were rockstars.
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

HI, have been into heli's hard since 2013 and hav'nt seen anyone flying a heli yet. Was a couple guys with beginner planes for a while but I think they gave up so if I want to see other heli's fly or get my heli fix I find it on helifreak for now. Usually log on every nite and check out what's going on in different forums but don't always post.
Helithunder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you're talking about actual Bundys, some are dead and some are currently in jail, so there's that...
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=erospawn;7379337]Where's the Bundy crowd when you need them?

Al Bundy? Probably still at the shoe store........
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

[QUOTE=seefest;7380835]
Quote:

Al Bundy? Probably still at the shoe store........

No, now he is married to hot a blonde and is a black belt in Gracie BJJ.
wab223 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in