Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3SX setup for dummies help needed

So I've read the sticky's and searched around and I think just asking might save a lot of time.

Here is what I have: 3SX, DX6, and a YGE 40A LV ESC

The heli it is going on is a 300x, and yes, I know its overkill, but I will get a better heli one day and just transfer it.

My question is do I use SATs, and if so do I use 2 of them? Is this what I should get? https://www.helidirect.com/spektrum-...-receiver.html

Do I not need a BEC if the ESC has one?

Basically I'm asking what do I need to buy to connect this all up.
If using SATs, how is everything connected together? (3SX to SATs)

If a receiver is recommended, which one, and how is this connected to the 3SX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few things come in to play here. Lots of people run the smaller helis on just sats but a small heli can brown out just like a big one. I'm not familiar with the BEC/ESC combo you have so it might be more than capable depending on how power hungry the servos you choose are.

The safer option is always a full receiver with the BD3SX but on a 450 space becomes tight. Personally I'd look at the AR7700 with the full diversity antenna and single wire set-up. You could probably skip the sat on the 450.
MCX2, 120SR, Blade 4503D w/Robird G31, Trex 500 w/RC Aerodyne A109 Scale Fuselage, 2X Trex 500's, Trex 550 w/ BD3SX, 2X Goblin 570's, 2X Goblin 700's w/BD3SX DX6i, DX9, Phoenix Sim, and a credit card. HF member #178,534, AMA
danfornow1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

some of your questions about how to connect things are answered in the 3sx instructions which you should download from the BD site. The link was in my FAQ. You could run 2 Sats and they just plug into special ports on the sides of the units. But I agree that the AR7700 is now a better choice as it costs less than two Sats, is a full RX and comes with one Sat. Use PPM mode on the RX tab of the software and the PPM port on the AR7700.

You could use a regular non-single line RX like an AR7610 which is discontinued but still available (on Amazon) for example. Or even an AR610 since you only have a DX6. For those you would use the cable loom that comes with a new 3SX (again look at the instructions).

However, since you only have a 6 channel TX, if you want to use Rescue and/or SL you are going to have to put that on Channel 5 (Gear/Gyro) which is normally used for Tail Gain. Tail gain you will have to set by software. per my FAQ, you'd be much better off with DX7.

Regarding your BEC, it is probably ok but marginal. Something like a Castle 10 amp BEC doesn't weight much and has more current (7 amps) than the 3 amp rating of your internal BEC. https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...FQaUfgod_s8Fvg

The Talon ESCs have much bigger BEC's in them.

I have found that my 700 gassers with five big servos draws about 2 amps average based on RX battery recharge so I think you would be ok with the BEC you have but others may have more specific experience. Check the forum for your model and ask there about the BEC.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all of that info. Much appreciated
Old 04-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So now I got a DX8 and AR7700, and was wondering if the the throttle cable from the ESC gets plugged into the AR7700 or the 3SX?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It goes into the throttle channel on the 3SX
MCX2, 120SR, Blade 4503D w/Robird G31, Trex 500 w/RC Aerodyne A109 Scale Fuselage, 2X Trex 500's, Trex 550 w/ BD3SX, 2X Goblin 570's, 2X Goblin 700's w/BD3SX DX6i, DX9, Phoenix Sim, and a credit card. HF member #178,534, AMA
danfornow1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in