Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had the shakes BAD...did the grommet mod and cleaned the servos and its better then new.

Thanks guys
Tbone675 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1157 View Post
Well, I did it. Pulled it all apart and cleaned her up, but I still have the wobbles. I'm getting frustrated with this thing.
I may have spoken too soon. I meticulously repeated the servo cleaning proceedure. I also tightened the main motor, as someone had previously suggested. I tightened my blade grips just a bit, and I did a rebind (not sure why).

It's drizzling right now in SoCal, so I merely flew under my solid patio cover. I tried very hard to reproduce the wobble, but she just wanted to fly flawlessly. It looks as if I'll be keeping her after all.

What is this grommet mod? I couldn't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Stu
1157 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

stick one of the spare canopy grommets over each of the balls on the swash to remove the free play.
Tbone675 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #164 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone675 View Post
stick one of the spare canopy grommets over each of the balls on the swash to remove the free play.
A full grommet may not fit on the elevator servo ball, but you can cut one in half.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
A full grommet may not fit on the elevator servo ball, but you can cut one in half.
I'm real confused now. I'm an idiot, I think I need a photo.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

cleaned mine up and did the grommet mod and no more wobble/shakes, was able to flip and hover inverted without it freaking out. Did end up with a uncontrolled piro towards the end of a pack while inverted (was flipping it), she went in but survived, can't say that would happen with a 450
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #167 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I'm real confused now. I'm an idiot, I think I need a photo.
I meant cutting it in half the same way you'd cut a bagel.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is how I did my elev ball link, half a grommet.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tip: Only clean the specific servo(s) that are causing your problem

Cleaning the servos really does reduce the shakes. I find that I needed a cleaning after about 50 flights. One more tip: If your heli shakes "up and down" (nose dips down and then up at about 3-5 times per second), clean the elevator servo. If it shakes "left to right" then clean the front two servos.
newtothesport is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcruiser View Post
That is how I did my elev ball link, half a grommet.
So let me get this straight, I'm putting a grommet over the ball link, which is on the ball. Is this at an angle? How can this not be binding? I need help.

By the way, I had some more exteded flghts when the drizzle stopped yesterday. My wobble is still there, but it corrects itself much quicker now. The wobble also doesn't seem as radical as it was before my second servo cleaning.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #171 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Take the servo-to-swash link off the two front servos. Slide a full grommet onto the ball, so that it sits behind the ball (on the neck of the ball). Then you can put the links back on. The grommet holds pressure against the link to take up the slop.

On the back (elevator), again remove the link. Cut a grommet in half (instead of II it looks like I) and slide that onto the neck of the ball. Then put the elevator link back on.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Take the servo-to-swash link off the two front servos. Slide a full grommet onto the ball, so that it sits behind the ball (on the neck of the ball). Then you can put the links back on. The grommet holds pressure against the link to take up the slop.

On the back (elevator), again remove the link. Cut a grommet in half (instead of II it looks like I) and slide that onto the neck of the ball. Then put the elevator link back on.
Okay, that makes sense to me now. That is not what I was imagining. Thanks Chris.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This has started happening to me. Cleaned the servo and still no luck... kinda disappointing as I just got this thing flying perfect and then this happens. No way I'm gonna spend $25 on this thing now that I got all I need for my X2.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #174 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Have you done grommet mod and all that shiz? Check over your blades to make sure they don't have any cracks or big scrapes...

Also tail blades: if they have any white stress marks on them ... they will NOT hold as well and can cause vibes as the blade is going in and out of track.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep I have the gromments mod. It helped all the shakes that the heli had out of the box. My blades are really messed up yes, but I realy thing it's the servo as I've been flying these messed up blades for a while.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Also, check for:

Bent Feathering shaft
Worn/loose dampeners (You should feel reasonable friction as you slide the feathering shaft through)
Loose servo board or main board fastening screws
Loose motor screws
Excessive slop in swashplate
Head loose on the main shaft (the Jesus bolt (screw) hole in the main shaft can get wallowed out)
Main gear seated properly
Bad main shaft bearings
Bad grip bearings
Worn ball joints/linkages

Also, if you are using the FF blades with the "bullets" on them make sure that you haven't lost one of the little weights that are glued into the bottom of the bullets.

Last edited by mejmea; 04-26-2011 at 08:15 PM..
mejmea is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

Broke the anti-rotation guide on my frame so while I had everything disassembled I decided to clean the servos. Use a paper towel and some electrical contact cleaner and I was shocked how black the towel was after cleaning. Got everything reassembled and few it this morning and it flew great.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So let me get this straight, I'm putting a grommet over the ball link, which is on the ball. Is this at an angle? How can this not be binding? I need help.

By the way, I had some more exteded flghts when the drizzle stopped yesterday. My wobble is still there, but it corrects itself much quicker now. The wobble also doesn't seem as radical as it was before my second servo cleaning.
Update: grommets installed along with the new B grips and head. This thing is awesome now. No wobble and the blades track perfectly during entire flight.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MSR Canopy grommets vs. MCPx grommets

So I think I like the MSR canopy grommets better: (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH2226) than the MCPx canopy grommets: (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH3021)

No need to cut the rear one in half. They pop on perfectly. Bamboo tweezers helped my install.

Also, haven't seem much talk lately of blade balance as it relates to vibrations...
To the new folks, don't forget to start by balancing your blades. Well, check loose main-gear first, but blade-balance would be a close-second.

A quick & dirty balance test: Put the heli on smooth ground, spin the motor up, and then let it spin down. If it wobbles just before it stops, your blades are out of balance. A toothpick makes a great blade balancer.

Vibrations and shakes are like snow conditions. There are many, and the causes are many and compound one another. I have a beautiful MCPx (the "green" one) that is so well balanced that it doesn't need the grommets at all. On my red, "ensign red-shirt" MPCx however, the MSR grommets let me get away with small "blade-nick" balance problems with very little shake.

New blades aren't always perfectly balanced either. Toothpick is your friend. :-)

Happy flying!
clintfisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I worry about these middle fingers?

Do you guys think that I should I try to straighten out these middle fingers or will I make them worse if I try messing with them? My concern is that the middle brushes could touch the wrong strip....???? The fingers on the other servos look nice and straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mcpx fingers.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	228343  
buzzme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in