Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Autogyros

Autogyros R/C Autogyros Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Any autogyro pilots out there?

OK, an autogyro isn't a helicopter, but it's helicopterish, and if it has a starter motor to spin up the rotor before takeoff (like this one), it's just that much closer.

I tried to build an autogyro once, but it was harder than I thought, so now I'm looking at this one, the Durafly Auto-G2, at Hobbyking. It looks like it might be a real hoot and it's less than $100 with a 800mm+ rotor diameter. So far as I know, it's the only commercially available gyrocopter out there.

Anyone have any experience with autogyros in general or this model in particular?

Last edited by Harbormaster; 09-30-2014 at 10:06 PM..
Harbormaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couple guys a my field have them, they fly great. They are always smiling.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneJourdan View Post
They are always smiling.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know if they are all quirky, but the one I saw fly once sure was and he crashed.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've built a couple, a 1.5M dia rotor scratch built pusher of my own design built from various heli crash parts and one from free plans available on RCGroups. They are a different animal to get flying and then keep in the air once up. There are some large commercially available gyros, have a look here :-
http://www.ladbrokehobbies.co.uk/

There is also an autogyro section on RCGroups with plenty of info available http://www.rcgroups.com/auto-gyros-224/
Old 10-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinww View Post
They are a different animal to get flying and then keep in the air once up.
That's both what interests me and what makes me think twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinww View Post
There are some large commercially available gyros, have a look here :-
http://www.ladbrokehobbies.co.uk/
This one is cool! Funny to hear both rotor noise and prop noise...
Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a friend that has the earlier version of the AutoG, the one that doesn't have the prerotator for the head. It flies very well if you use the rudder for the primary turning control and use the aileron control basically just to level it. It does easy loops. Landings are nice and easy if you add a little power just as you flair. It can be hard to see for someone that doesn't fly helis. He crashed his the first couple of attempts, then got me to fly it a few time just to see that it flew ok. He then repainted it mostly orange to make it easier to see, but he still has trouble seeing it well enough to maintain orientation. His most successful flights have been with me standing beside him telling him what direction he is turning.

I would class the AutoG as easy to fly, especially if you have time flying things like scale Cubs, but harder to see than most helis.
Dyehard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks like a fun slow flyer. Would like to try one out!
Doom Buggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I had one of the HK AutoG's.

Lost lift and crashed on the first flight
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a kit from flyingbalsa.com. I'm very happy with how well it flies. Thinking about building another one this winter.

They're somewhere between airplanes and helicopters as far as intensity while flying. Probably closer to airplanes.

I find it amusing how loose and sloppy the head is, and yet it flies well. Compared to how perfect a helicopter head has to be.

-J
BigJay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been thinking of building one of these. I highly recommend checking out flitetest.com. They focus more on planes but they have a lot of good information on their website. I take issue with their safety practices on occasion but it's nothing really bad.
Flite Test - Twin Twirl - REVIEW (10 min 12 sec)
Old 10-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do enjoy the flitetest gang!
Doom Buggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got two of the Hobbyking ones, the original Auto-G and the G2 version. The G2 has the addition of a 'self rotator' motor so you can spin the blades up before take off which greatly reduces take off distance. Trying to lift off without enough rotor speed is the #1 cause of crashes on the original Auto-G. The down side of the G2 is it's a fair bit heavier so performance and flight time take a bit of a hit, but are still acceptable.

They fly great but they aren't easy. It's like a strange combination of fixed wing and a heli. Because the yaw and pitch controls are conventional rudder and elevator you have to keep some flying speed to keep air moving over the surfaces, but you do get used to it and one you get the knack they are great fun. But they can easily catch you out, so from what I've seen most people crash them sooner rather than later!

This is my 'G2' doing some relaxing evening flying:
Auto-G2 Evening flying in Aberdeen (5 min 25 sec)

And the 'G' doing barrel rolls (don't try this at home)
Auto-G doing rolls (0 min 50 sec)
Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeloron View Post
I highly recommend checking out flitetest.com.
A guy at the field had a super simple little foamy that he built from plans at flitetest.com, so I had heard of them before. They have a bunch of videos and plans, so I may actually go back to trying to scratch build. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
The down side of the G2 is it's a fair bit heavier so performance and flight time take a bit of a hit, but are still acceptable.
I was wondering how much weight the prerotator was going to add. Hmmm...

Loved the barrel rolls!
Old 11-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm so sorry I found this forum. I can predict a weakening of my financial condition.

I just love oddities.

I have been flying autogyros on my simulators and have found them to be quite entertaining, but reading through this thread probably pushed me over the edge to get a real one.

Quote:
They are always smiling.
Quite reassuring!
Helmet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
I'm so sorry I found this forum. I can predict a weakening of my financial condition.

I just love oddities.

I have been flying autogyros on my simulators and have found them to be quite entertaining, but reading through this thread probably pushed me over the edge to get a real one.

Quite reassuring!
I love oddites too, and these definitely are. They sound cool as they pass by and fly like nothing else. They also sound cool as the rotor comes up to speed during a hand launch and starts to make the distinctive whistling sound that means it's ready to go. They are not easy to fly, however, so prepare for a learning curve. I thought the stories I heard about "losing orientation" were just plankers who weren't used to having great big wings to look at, but in my (limited) experience, an autogyro has to be watched like a hawk all the time, especially before you get the CG and the trim just right. You need to keep them close at first. They are fun, interesting, and challenging. I was throwing my 450 all over the place yesterday, because after flying my Auto-G2, a heli seemed easy!

Last edited by Harbormaster; 11-23-2014 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: More... ;)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I'll get an Auto-G2 ready for next season. Seems to be much fun.
Helmet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
I think I'll get an Auto-G2 ready for next season. Seems to be much fun.
I'm using the micro-flight.com conversion kit (below) to convert my Auto-G2 into a pusher with a "dual control" head (i.e. both pitch and roll like a heli, instead of just roll + an elevator) in hopes that it won't require quite so much foreward speed to stay in the air and will have more control. I guess it's not surprising that a hard core heli guy ends up make his autogyro more heli-like. I'll post about how that goes on [URL="https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431"] when I get the time to sit down at the bench again...

The 1.25 size conversion kit is similar to this 1.0 kit, but doesn't include blades, props, or servos.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, not much left from the original? How long did it take to get the kit from them? I bought a kit for my mcpx and took a very long time and several e-mails to get it.
It looks very cool. The only thing I see it needs is a pilot.
I have been interested in these for a while. A guy flies his full size over our flying field every Sunday. It looks to be home built. I think I would rather try the mosquito ultralight one seater heli.
Maybe a g2 from Santa?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in