Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What castle creations esc would you buy???

I am thinking about buying me a 400 or 450 size heli and was wondering which esc you would buy. I am thinking about getting the 50 ice but was wondering what others thought. Is this a good one? Have there been any fires or any other problems with the 50 ice? I have a brand new 100 ice never open(well my bf does) to afraid to use it cause of all the horror stories about them catching on fire and blowing up so was wondering if anyone heard of the 50 ice doing that..
epoweredrcgirl09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrcgirl09 View Post
I am thinking about buying me a 400 or 450 size heli and was wondering which esc you would buy. I am thinking about getting the 50 ice but was wondering what others thought. Is this a good one? Have there been any fires or any other problems with the 50 ice? I have a brand new 100 ice never open(well my bf does) to afraid to use it cause of all the horror stories about them catching on fire and blowing up so was wondering if anyone heard of the 50 ice doing that..
the ice light 50 does looks pretty trouble free, the ice 50 had a recall on it all he ice controllers did except for the ice light series... at least the light series i have not heard any thing bad about.

i have had 2 ice 75's and a ice 100 and they all work great. eventually ill get the ice light 50 for my 450

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

500+ flights on my ICE lite 50, the thing is solid!

I run mine very hard, and it gets close to 200, but I have not had any issue as of yet!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ice 50 (not Ice Lite) for a 450
Ice 75 for a 500
Ice 100 for a 6s 600

There have not been too many problems with the standard Ice catching fire - mostly HV models. I have Ice 50, Ice 75, and two Ice 80 HV - no problems with any of them.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Ice 50 (not Ice Lite) for a 450
Ice 75 for a 500
Ice 100 for a 6s 600

There have not been too many problems with the standard Ice catching fire - mostly HV models. I have Ice 50, Ice 75, and two Ice 80 HV - no problems with any of them.

Colin
Is there a thread were someone had issue with the ICE lite 50? I have not seen any. like I said, 500+ flights, and close to 50 now FBL, ICE Lite 50. Yes, I use the internal 5 amp BEC, yes the temps get pretty high on a hot day when flown hard, but the unit is over a year old, I have put it through some serious torture, and it has performed flawlessly!

Last edited by snjbird; 05-21-2011 at 08:29 PM..
snjbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ice 50 Lite works fine for 400 class. Love the logging!
crashmore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So the Lite is the good one? seem that what everyone is using.
Do you guys run separate BEC's with them?

My bf is going to get another 400-450 sized heli and needs a esc. he just won a certificate for so much off on a castle product so he plans to buy one really soon.

he was building a 500 sized heli over winter got a 100ICE Not te lite and everyone started having issues catching on fire so he never even put ends on it its still in the pagage. its brand new but he didn't by it new got from a guy he knew so he couldnt return it to CC

we just want a trouble free esc.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ICE 50 in my Pro with MicroBeast. 40 flights and counting with zero issues. Using the integrated BEC as well and it's been working fantastic - wouldn't hesitate recommending it to any and all

Sm
Old 05-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It depends a bit on the ambient temps and where you position the ESC on the heli. There has been a couple of reports of Ice Lites running hot, and my theory is that if they are the same price, why go for the non-heatsink version.

With the big heatsink of the Ice 50, it will never run hot. Mine tucks in nicely under the canopy on my old 450 SE V1.

It is a matter of preference really, so take your pick.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

egirl,

Don't even consider putting the 100A in the 400/450.

I'm using the ICE Lite 50 in my Furion 450. Using the internal BEC at 6V and it comes down hardly warm at all.

BTW, I bought the ICE Lite because I didn't have room between my frames to fit the non-Lite version. At least it doesn't look like I have the room.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

so heat sink is the only driffrent between the two esc's?
it was last yr when was having issues with the ICE100. so hope all issues fixed by now.

He is either going to get s blade 400 ( he misses his he old last yr) or the new blade 450 when it comes out if reviews are good or maybe something else 450 sized.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
so heat sink is the only driffrent between the two esc's?
it was last yr when was having issues with the ICE100. so hope all issues fixed by now.

He is either going to get s blade 400 ( he misses his he old last yr) or the new blade 450 when it comes out if reviews are good or maybe something else 450 sized.
all of the ice controllers had a recall one them, the heat sinks were coming loose and it would burn up. and it looks like some of them just burned up for the hell of it.. it seems to be some what common with the ice series with the heat sink.

i have looked up the ice light series and i cant find any kind of recall or problems with them. i will be getting one of the ice lights fro my 450 for sure. over the ice 50 witch is known to burn up. i have not had problems with the ice controllers yet but you never know. i would feel more safe with the ice lite tho..

if this is for a blade 400 or blade 450 why are you posting here lol.... this is the align section... but your better off posting here i would thing so it's ok with me. tell him to get a 450 sport and not a blade 450.. i had a blae 400 it was a total joke, my 450 sport flys so good its not funny, its so fun and just flys so good, i never expected something this small to fly the way it does..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have beat the Ice 50 to death over the last 2 1/2 years. Multiple wrecks, toasted motors, It has gone through numerous builds and upgrades and always come down in perfect shape. I like the fact that I could mount it in the body cavity and throw every and anything at it with any motor and battery combination and trust it. Now I am running the 6cell batt upgrade and the scorp 2221-2010. It comes down after hard 8minute flights still barely warm to the touch. (hey I don't fly harcore 3d)
The Ice50 is one of the most reliable Esc's you can buy. It is definitely overkill for most apps and you may not need anything this heavy duty.
It is not until you move farther up the foodchain to the much larger Esc's in the CC Ice lineup that problems start with them going up in flames. I have yet to see a legitimate post anywhere on the Ice50 smoking in 3 different forums due to internal failure. It is basically identical to the lite but has the heavier heat sync.
But hey, I don't see everything.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks everyone she posted for me while i was working, I have had trex and blade400 i perfer the b400 fly so much better. posted here cause more involded in 450 sized here then there. thanks i just got dcided what one to buy ice or lite maybe i will try the lite

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on the Ice 50 Lite... 10 months, 200+ flights and several hard crashes. I love this little ESC...
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup love the ICE lite, It has a very good governor, works well on the 450, would work good on a Blade 400 too!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-wLWH5PLTI[/ame]
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got the ICE 50 here. It mounts almost perfectly between the chassis plates of the sport right under the main gears with the fans built in. Even really flogging that thing on a hot 90*F day won't get it over 110*. The standard flight mode has weirdly delayed throttle response, but the governor and soft starts on the ICE 50 are just plain good. Castle Link and data logging are great too. We've been using it a lot on a Trex 600E test bed we use at Goddard(ICE HV 100) for instrument testing.

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore8888 View Post
Got the ICE 50 here. It mounts almost perfectly between the chassis plates of the sport right under the main gears with the fans built in. Even really flogging that thing on a hot 90*F day won't get it over 110*. The standard flight mode has weirdly delayed throttle response, but the governor and soft starts on the ICE 50 are just plain good. Castle Link and data logging are great too. We've been using it a lot on a Trex 600E test bed we use at Goddard(ICE HV 100) for instrument testing.
Commodore - could you please post some photos of your ICE 50 mounted on your Sport? I'm going to be doing that exact same set-up

Thanks!

S
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have my Ice50 mounted inside the CF body under the forward nose area. Perfect fit. And it has never once come down hot in over 120 plus flights now. I just wish it data logged longer since my flight times seem to exceed its program parameters.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's how I've got mine mounted. Should give you an idea of how to go about it. I used 3 layers of thinner strong gyro tape to secure it with minimal vibe interference. Same for the receiver and gyro above it.

Meaning to get some of the black fishnet covering for the servo wires though. Really like the look and added protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICE 50 1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	230134   Click image for larger version

Name:	ICE 50 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	230135  

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in