Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished my Trex 700 DFC v3 build and decided to do a bit of an experiment with the motor and esc to see how the cheaper motors and esc held up against the 'normal' choices for a 700. Using MKS bls950 servos, Futaba s9254 and Beastx and Gryphon Agena bec.

I fitted a YEP 120hv 4s-14s ESC (basically a Hobbyking YGE copy) ($118)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ler_OPTO_.html

and

Turnigy Helidrive SK3 Comp Series 4962-480kv Motor ($75)
http://http://www.hobbyking.com/hobb...ize_heli_.html

Having had a 30 flights with it so far and the results have blown me away...the motor has bags of power and comes down luke warm and is as good as the 4035-450 Scorpion I had in my Logo 600se which since posting this on rcheliaddict I have swapped out as the Scorpion was getting to hot so have put a Helidrive in the Logo which is also working perfectly and comes down just warm.
The ESC has been been really easy to set up and uses a programme card identical to the YGE card which costs only $5. I've not changed either of the p and i gains and the governor is working perfectly with no noticeable drop in HS.

I know there will be some that will knock this approach, using cheap/copy/clone stuff etc, but the results (so far!) are very good and for around £120 ($200) for the motor, esc and prog' card it's an inexpensive way to get a 700 size heli in the air.
I have no idea about the long term using this combination, time will tell, it will be interesting to see how it turns out but so far i'm really impressed.

Have saved £400 ($650) or more over a Scorpion motor/Kontronic drive combo though which is a pretty decent saving.

Last edited by George J; 09-26-2012 at 04:00 PM..
George J is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyant View Post
You have renewed my interest in one !
Might put my HK3 4035-530kv up for sake and get one?

Sent from Android via Trap a talk 2
I wouldnt trade a mk 3 for this one from power perspective, this motor is good at mild to mid power but at max the scorpion wil be stronger.
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I wouldnt trade a mk 3 for this one from power perspective, this motor is good at mild to mid power but at max the scorpion wil be stronger.
I had a Scorpion 4035-450 mk3 in my Logo 600se and just couldn't get the heat down, the motor was so hot after a flight you couldn't even touch it so as i'd had such good results with the Helidrive in my 700 v3 DFC I decided to swap the Scorpion out for another Helidrive and have had a few flights now with the new motor in the Logo and I have to disagree, there is bags of power from the Helidrive and it more than equals the Scorpion power and on the plus side the Helidrive motor comes down barely even warm. :-)
Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1. I keep getting surprised by how cool these motors come down, being used to scorching hot Scorps on my other helis and 20 min cool off nreaks between flights. Now I can fly my P6 back to back all day long and I sense no lack of power even for my portly 3.9kg 600.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the common timing used for this motor? Does anyone have any info to share, please.

Thanks.
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use Auto timing on a YEP 120HV. I've also flown it on 18* timing and it works well. 10kHz PWM.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
I use Auto timing on a YEP 120HV. I've also flown it on 18* timing and it works well. 10kHz PWM.
Thanks, Dr M. I got the same setup and I am also using 18* also except for 8kHz PWM instead of 10. I will try that too.
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a YEP on my 700 dfc v3 and have it on 18 for timing and 8 khz, also not touched the p and I gains and the governor is working very well. This is with the 480kv Helidrive. Also changed the soft start from auto to 2% power and the soft start is now really good.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HK site says these motors have 25mm spacing for M4 bolt holes. Am I wrong that 25mm spacing is usually associated with M3 bolt holes and M4 bolt holes are associated with 30mm spacing?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're right, that's the typical convention. My SK3 480kV had two opposing 4mm holes at 25mm and another pair of 4mm holes at 30mm spacing. It's odd, but I modified my motor mount to fit all four screws.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesheli View Post
I had a Scorpion 4035-450 mk3 in my Logo 600se and just couldn't get the heat down, the motor was so hot after a flight you couldn't even touch it so as i'd had such good results with the Helidrive in my 700 v3 DFC I decided to swap the Scorpion out for another Helidrive and have had a few flights now with the new motor in the Logo and I have to disagree, there is bags of power from the Helidrive and it more than equals the Scorpion power and on the plus side the Helidrive motor comes down barely even warm. :-)
Of course you are entitled to disagree but my observation is based on factual data, having rewinded both motors the scorpion has stronger magnets and less airgap with same dimensioned stator size , this says one thing, more torque and power, for instance to obtain the same kv in the helidrive you need 2 more turns of copper per slot pair, again because of weaker mags and larger airgap. With normal flying the difference wont be noticeable but at max a different story, this is mere scientific fact. Scorpion may run hotter off course due to its construction So if youre a social big sky flier hdrive will work well but at max scorpion has the edge. Good value motor but dont get carried away by expecting more than it can offer. Also you cant compare a 450 kv motor with a 560 kv as there are too many variables to say one feels as strong as the other. Just my opinion though
Old 09-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stolla, you're probably right if flying REALLY hard that the Helidrive might not cut it (although there is a video on rcheliaddict of a 700 with a Helidrive getting a good workout) and I can only go on experience and I have found the Helidrive 480kv that I swapped for the Scorpion 450kv has no noticeable difference in power between the 2 motors doing similar flights. The same on my 700 dfc, the Helidrive has plenty of power and doesn't bog on my set up and the way I fly.
I don't really understand the ins and outs of how motors work (lots of variables as you said) but I can only go on personal experience as I have used both Scorpion and Helidrive almost back to back in 2 different helis and I believe they offer real value for money and if on a budget will make a massive difference to set up costs.
I might feel different in 6 months time (assuming they last that long!!) but at the moment they work for me and i've not spent much money to see how they work out, we shall see! :-)
Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well your findings are not surprising as 90 percent of pilots use way overpowered motors, espescially in helis where you run a gov, different gearing etc the variables are such that a weaker motor may actually outperform a stronger motor if its setup correctly enough gov headroom gearing etc. Motors like the le scorpions etc with thick single strand wire onky gains a significant edge at max power so you have to be a hard flyer to realise the potential of these motors, throw in the biggest bottleneck the lipo and again people fail to understand that you have to run the highest c rated lipos to feed these monster motors. Yes u can run them on 25 c and enjoy flying them but you will gain no increase in performance even if the placebo effect may lead u to reason otherwise. ive rewinded 2 of these motors now and agre they offer significant value for money and will work well for 90 percent pilots out there
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #54 (permalink)

jonesheli and Stolla I really like your discussion.

Thank you

Check TDR manual. Henseleit provided interesting data:

http://www.henseleit-helicopters.de/...anual-2011.pdf

"For the same flight condition „Hovering at one position“ 570W is required at 1300 rpm at the rotor and at 1850 rpm you already need 1000W. At more than 2100 rpm 1500W are required, i. e. nearly the triple amount, although you do nothing more than hovering."

Some put 11kW motors like KDE 700XF-495 in Goblin 700, but it designed for smashing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1698998

Here is my setup: https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=570

It flies MUCH MUCH better than 600.

Main advantage of stretching T-Rex 600e to 690mm blades is low weight.
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

well I'm back again, finelly set-up my turnigy power system on my 700E,
at first had a hard time getting the programbox to work I thought it was broken,so I tried the Tx and tone setting and found it kinda hard to set this way the different tone just confuesed me, so I went back to the programbox one more time and found out it needed a seperate power source pluged in next to where you plug in the ESC JR type plug,then when it lit up I pluged in my lipo and made my settings, it seem's to work fine still need to test fly and check that my setting do'nt over heat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121114_083305.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	366109  
DALE-PABAJO69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i'm about to put this motor on my next purchase list the 560kv version

anyone did any logging as to what kind of power they are pulling with this thing
i'm paying 240ish for a similar motor and these are less than 1/2 the cost and i've read all good things so far
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Havent logged but you can expect similar power to the earlier 10 pole scorpion, i.e not mk3, since mags stator etc very similar
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolla View Post
Havent logged but you can expect similar power to the earlier 10 pole scorpion, i.e not mk3, since mags stator etc very similar

yea ur right stolla it is indeed very similar to the scorpion 4035-560kv.
I'm gonna use this motors settings to set-up my esc,my first innicial settings motor and esc got quiet hot.
the only thing I dislike about HK products is the lack of info with there products.and all the trial and error I have to do before I get it eventually right.
DALE-PABAJO69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can someone here tell me the *actual* diameter of this motor? The specs on HK say 49mm, but they're rarely correct. If it's much more than that, it won't fit my heli (MA Furion 6)

Thanks!
DudeInMyrtleBeach is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBeach View Post
Can someone here tell me the *actual* diameter of this motor? The specs on HK say 49mm, but they're rarely correct. If it's much more than that, it won't fit my heli (MA Furion 6)

Thanks!
Mine is 49mm around the smooth section, but the finned section is a bit thicker, measuring in at 52.5mm. I hope it fits in your bird.
Goblin Speed | iKon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in