Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Graupner

Graupner Graupner Radio Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Graupner MZ-24 Pro mini review w/ Brain2

Just wanted to pass along my impressions with the MZ-24 Pro. Was kind of skeptical at first about getting this radio and the programming. After programming and flying a TREX 550X with it all I can say is wow. Coming from a JR 9303 with a Spektrum module on PPM to Graupner with SUMD is a huge difference.
In learning how to setup, I took my radio to work and just programmed a fake model in my free time. When I had question, the manual answered all my questions and I was able to breeze through the real setup. My best advice is to just go through all the screens and play with everything and see what it does before you do the real thing. Some of the terms are different from JR, but I think this the case when going between any two different brands of radios. The radio manual is in two parts. The first manual is very basic and comes with the radio. The second manual is very detailed and very easy to read and is downloaded. You will learn a lot when getting this radio. I didn't know the difference between PPM protocol and SUMD protocol and latency until I bought this radio and learned what the difference was. My hovers are smoother and all around flying is much better. The gimbals are awesome.
The first time I flew it it flew very funny. I had a gentleman (JC Zankle , how is an awesome pilot, down right scary at times) fly it to tell me what was wrong. He flew it, landed, handed me the radio back, said "nothings wrong. Flies great, it you". So after 17 flights it does fly great. I was just used to my old radio. I don't want to put in errors in explaining the difference between PPM and SUMD protocols so pleas look it up and research it. If someone else wants to chime in and explain it, please, be my guest.
Hooking up the Brain2 was easy carefully following the diagram provided in the Brain software. I had to buy a special wire set from MSHUSA to get telemetry. You can make your own if you trust yourself making an adapter. So far everything has worked as advertised and would recommend this radio FBL combo. If you have any questions I answer them as sone as I can. Thanks Graupner for a great radio.

Last edited by jazsop; 06-29-2017 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Edit
jazsop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Yep, JC is an awesome pilot.

PPM is an analog signal that relies heavily on timing of pulses, which means there's margin for error. I believe it's also a rather slow protocol.

SUMD is like the Internet: it uses digital packets. As such, all values are discrete digital numbers, so 0 will always exactly equal 0, for example. Also, information other than control information can be passed in the packet (e.g. failsafe status).
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

One other thing: Make sure your receiver firmware is up to date. The latest version (6a39) speeds up telemetry communication immensely, including queuing of multiple requests from the transmitter. This means you can hold down the INC or DEC button on the transmitter and the values on screen will increment or decrement quickly.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 07-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm.. at first I thought of switching to Jeti but I can hardly justify the expense. Than I considered Graupner but have found mixed reviews about. In the end I am not sure I need it, my old Dx7se just does everything I need its on the edge and has some limitations but still does everything I need. Gimbals were moded many years ago to make them smooth as silk and installed a lipo that lasts longer than a Kindle. I always hear people say that a better radio doesn't make you a better pilot so in the end I keep thinking if its worth the invest. Basically I will gain a real time tunnung an telemetry, right?
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMO the telemetry and fbl integration are totally worth it. I personally hated taking a laptop to the field, and even the added annoyance of pulling out my phone when my transmitter is already in my hands to use a bluetooth app was too much for me.

To each their own, but for me fbl integration is priceless.

*Chronos*7HV Nitro*EXO*Warp 360*
Compass Models Field Rep
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default New Graupner MZ-24 Pro mini review w/ Brain2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyhv View Post
I always hear people say that a better radio doesn't make you a better pilot so in the end I keep thinking if its worth the invest.

That’s true...to a point. I don’t think you can discount ergonomics as a factor and the MZ-24 Pro (and MZ-24 before it) feels great, like an extension of my own body. Of course, ergonomics vary from person to person, so what feels great to me might not feel great to someone with larger hands, for instance.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally think if you are at home with a Spektrum radio the Graupner will likely feel pretty good as well. I came from a DX8 Gen 1 and it is perfect. I am a pincher for all intents and purposes.

Compass Models Field Rep
Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, true that even the bluetooth is a bit of a pain as it has to be sinchronized each time I want tweak some parameter, the datapod needs to be attached to the heli and land it every time...

Ergonomics is number one of my priorities, would look for somembody with the MZ-24 in the next heli event and see how it feels.

Have looked through some pages of the pdf manual and looks like a very powerful radio!
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just released a new free firmware update (3.1.010) for all Brain2 range with (also) full setup of the alarms for the ESC connected to the Brain (temperature, instantaneous current, consumed current, battery voltage) and other improvements/additions.

Now the Brain2 <-> HoTT integration is really complete.

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...78&postcount=1
Old 08-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jazsop, what was the cable you had to buy to get the telemetry working?
My setup will be a castle ice 120esc, a brain2 and a GR16 hott receiver, will I need the same cable?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy-uk View Post
Jazsop, what was the cable you had to buy to get the telemetry working?
My setup will be a castle ice 120esc, a brain2 and a GR16 hott receiver, will I need the same cable?
You will need this cable (or one of the longer ones) and a regular servo patch cable with the red wire removed.
MSH Brain Governor adapter cable 90mm MSH51605

Don't be confused by the description of the cable; it works just fine plugged into the SAT1 port for control signals. The modified patch cable serves two purposes: it's a gender changer and isolates receiver bus power from SAT1 port power.

Every other connection is done with regular servo patch cables.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 08-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you. Better get one ordered. Two even.

Ordered two. Thanks for the link bum. They are in the next town from me.

Last edited by snowy-uk; 08-09-2017 at 06:37 PM..
snowy-uk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I like to do for cables that require a sat connector is order the Quantum RC satellite cables made for spektrum satellites.

They use a larger gauge, higher quality wire than anything else available with that satellite plug. I will then trim them to length and crimp the servo connector on them. Cuts out at least 1 connection and makes the cable much more resilient to wear and tear and vibration.

Compass Models Field Rep
Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Yeah, I made my own too, but used genuine Spektrum satellite cables. I always add strain relief in the form of shoe goo or heat shrink though.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

my god I feel lost.

my MZ-24 transmitter arrived today along with my two GR-16 HoTT receivers that are planned for my two big helis. I don't know whether to take the spectrum out of my 450 and try one of the GR16 s in with that until I build the Goblin.
the GR-18 that comes with the transmitter set is intended for my 2m wingspan B17 bomber. I have not flown that yet, I am teaching myself and am still on a high wing trainer. I think a 6 ch receiver with gyro should be good for that.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Just install the Brain software on your PC, launch it, go to the Manuals section, and read the document about Graupner integration. It's pretty comprehensive.

The GR-18 is a 9-channel receiver, BTW. If you're using telemetry and individual cables for each channel, then you can only use 8 of those.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks bum. Will go power on the pc right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in