Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 470 Class Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which governor?

Given the choice of using the hobbying 60A V4 built in governor, or the Microbeast+ governor (taking RPM input from HW), which would be the better option?
Logic would suggest that the FBL has more info than the ESC does (such as knowing when you increase pitch) to properly keep the headspeed constant, but I have no experience with governors, so what do you think?
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrypoint View Post
Given the choice of using the hobbying 60A V4 built in governor, or the Microbeast+ governor (taking RPM input from HW), which would be the better option?
Logic would suggest that the FBL has more info than the ESC does (such as knowing when you increase pitch) to properly keep the headspeed constant, but I have no experience with governors, so what do you think?
You're right, the conventional wisdom says that the FBL governor is generally going to be better because it is preemptive rather than reactive. However, the HW V4's do not play nice with external governors (see 'Hard Start' problem). There are ways around it by using heli-linear mode and switching off the AFW in the ESC but I found it easier and more effective to use the ESC governor as the HW governors are pretty good.

All my heli's use the FBL governor except the one that has a HW V4 ESC.

So many things to fly, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using govenor for the first time. HW 60v4 on my 470L with a brain2 fbl.
I am using the FBL gov simply because I figure you only need to make changes at one place. Regarding the proactive responce using the fbl gov, with the processing speed of the esc I don't know if you would actualy notice the difference, but electronicly it would be faster and I would guess you are talking milli seconds.
But as I said, I don't have any previous experience so what do I know.
Jeti DS-16. Whovian.
Necroscope is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necroscope View Post
I am using govenor for the first time. HW 60v4 on my 470L with a brain2 fbl.
I am using the FBL gov simply because I figure you only need to make changes at one place. Regarding the proactive responce using the fbl gov, with the processing speed of the esc I don't know if you would actualy notice the difference, but electronicly it would be faster and I would guess you are talking milli seconds.
But as I said, I don't have any previous experience so what do I know.
The theory is that the ESC only knows when the head speed has already changed and can correct for it. The FBL knows that you are asking to increase or decrease the load and applies the power change required. If the system worked perfectly the head speed would not change at all with an FBL governor whereas with the ESC governor, it would change and then get corrected.

In reality, some ESC's work better than others and some FBL's work better than others. Nothing is perfect.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashalotjoe View Post
The theory is that the ESC only knows when the head speed has already changed and can correct for it. The FBL knows that you are asking to increase or decrease the load and applies the power change required. If the system worked perfectly the head speed would not change at all with an FBL governor whereas with the ESC governor, it would change and then get corrected.

In reality, some ESC's work better than others and some FBL's work better than others. Nothing is perfect.
Yup but then your pissing with FBL Gov settings to get it tuned properly to prevent bogging or over shoot. The V4 60 on that bird works great, plug in the LCD box at the field and tune the P and I gains the V3 doesn't have no PC needed and fly. Want to change head speed, land, change curves and fly, no PC needed.
Se so many vids using FBL gov having bogging and then mentioning having to link back up and do more tuning.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad007 View Post
Yup but then your pissing with FBL Gov settings to get it tuned properly to prevent bogging or over shoot. The V4 60 on that bird works great, plug in the LCD box at the field and tune the P and I gains the V3 doesn't have no PC needed and fly. Want to change head speed, land, change curves and fly, no PC needed.
Se so many vids using FBL gov having bogging and then mentioning having to link back up and do more tuning.
Yeah, I kind of agree. In my experience ESC governors pretty much work straight out of the box, FBL governors need to be tuned but are often better if you can be bothered to get them right.

I don't really have an issue with tweaking FBL governors because I use FBL's that are integrated with the Jeti so it's actually easier to tweak the FBL than the ESC which usually needs a PC or a box. If you don't use an integrated system, yeah, it's a pain.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashalotjoe View Post
Yeah, I kind of agree. In my experience ESC governors pretty much work straight out of the box, FBL governors need to be tuned but are often better if you can be bothered to get them right.

I don't really have an issue with tweaking FBL governors because I use FBL's that are integrated with the Jeti so it's actually easier to tweak the FBL than the ESC which usually needs a PC or a box. If you don't use an integrated system, yeah, it's a pain.
Yup, you got a Jeti, the average joe goes to the field and flies and has to take a lappy and tweak for several flights. Basic V4 setup takes little adjustment if your paying attention. First 2 packs and done. Got the V3 and the gov S**ks.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently switched from the v-bar governor to the stored governor function in the 60A V4 and the model flies just the same.

The electronics are so good that it probably takes no time at all to work out the rpm is dropping in the ESC.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
I recently switched from the v-bar governor to the stored governor function in the 60A V4 and the model flies just the same.

The electronics are so good that it probably takes no time at all to work out the rpm is dropping in the ESC.
Did the same also, had Vbar, it did take some tweaking. Had overshoot once then tail wag, etc. Yup the V4 electronics have a faster CPU etc. and works better than the older versions. Went to all V4s and no more wasted time.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running ikon 2 gov, works great with 60A v4. If you have logging makes it a breeze to tune.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same here, using Brain 2 gov. Was extremely easy to set up. It even shows you what rpm you are running. No guess work, no need to use a tachometer or a head speed app.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
denis747 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in