Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fastflyer20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What C rating is safe???

Hey all. I never thought of this before but after getting all digital servos, my mind went there and I cant seem to find any info on it so, I thought Id ask. For a Rx (receiver) battery, in a 600 class nitro helicopter, what should the discharge rate in C (min/max) be when your using all High Volt, digital servos and a stand alone tail gyro?
Im using 4 Hitec HS-8360TH servos, 1 Hitec HS-8315BH tail rotor servo, and a Spartan Quark gyro in my Raptor 30V2. The receiver is a AR7100R with rpm sensor for the rev limiter and I just want to be on the safe side when choosing the battery. Thanks for the info!
av8ersteve1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
For a Rx (receiver) battery, in a 600 class nitro helicopter, what should the discharge rate in “C” (min/max) be when your using all High Volt, digital servos and a stand alone tail gyro?
A "stand alone tail gyro" implies you are still using a flybar. The flybar does all the work and the servos are very lightly loaded.
And, "HV" servos will draw less current for the same load vs 6v (or 4.8v) servos.

Since the flybar equipped Trex 600N used 6v digital servos (Align DS-610) when it came out, I would expect the HV servo to be loafing and draw almost no power compared to the old 6V servos.

In that case, it really doesn't matter what the C-rating is for the receiver battery.
A simple, 5S NiCad pack would work fine.

As a gauge, if you fly FBL, then most of the larger BEC top out at 10A to 15A continuous and 20A peak.
But, batteries have a capacitance / impedance factor to them that allow for larger spikes without stressing.

Most of my 2S 2200mAh / 3500mAh LiPo's have internal resistances in the 5mΩ range, so I would estimate they are "really" 2C to 4C maximum anyway (even though the label says 20C) and they are working fine on my 700 size nitros
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get something that wiill give you 20a or more continuous and you should be ok.
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

More specific to this line of comments, given a 700 nitro FBL and HV servos, what is the common size 2s pack[s] to run and what is flight time/number of flights per charge? I was considering running the Jeti dual redundant switching setup but looking for a sweet spot of light weight and flight times, perhaps four flights per charge may be too greedy?
FlaFlyer52 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2020, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ticedoff8 handled the pack C rating. A 2200 pack is one of the more common RX packs and will allow you to fly many flights as a starting point. You can go smaller for lighter weight if you wish. Since each combo of heli and pilot have different amp draws, fly three normal length flights, charge and note mah consumed. You can now determine how many flights you can get on your receiver pack. I tend to be conservative and only discharge receiver packs to 40% of capacity. Spare packs are not expensive, so I take an extra pack if I plan on many flights.
ticedoff8 likes this.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in