Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5s and 6s. Pros and Cons?

I see most people use 6s BUT some use 5s and still say the trex500 performs.
Can anyone tell me differance in using 5s or 6s.I do not understand why a lower voltage is used and change the pinion.Is a lower voltage harder on the standard motor+esc OR easier?
For me i think the 5s system looks better.i can get cells easy and charge 2 packs at once,i am a novice by the way so basic flight for me.But do not want to go the 5s route if it is unproven,why do most go for 6s if 5s does work.
diduhearthat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not flown 6s but I can tell you my experience with 5s 300 TP with a 15 tooth pinion. I get about 6 minutes of good flying with plenty of bat to spare. plenty of power. And the lipos are cheaper.

I have heard of some going to a 16 tooth pinion but can't attest to how they fly.

I would like to try a 6s to see the difference but i would have to buy one and don't want to do it. I don't see any reason to change right now.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 5s vs 6s

I use 5s and get same as post below......for a beginner 5s will much longer flight times and a lighter batter (same mah) at a lower price. 6s has more pop and is used by most people and due to that the prices are similar to 5s
mulleng is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly 5S 3300 packs because of the flighttime. Flying moderate 3D I get around 7mins per flight using a 15T pinion. However, I'm currently using a 16T and I get a solid 6 mins putting back 80%. 5S works fine if you're not into "Extreme 3D" and/or looking for high headspeed.
Trex 250 Super Combo
pcliftonjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think finless says it ll with the power discussion sticky?

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...85&postcount=2
erniefritz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi,

The Outrage 6S 3000 mAh 25C packs provide the best power/weight ratio (and fit without tray mod). Just around 435 g, stay very cool, and provide a lot of pop yet a lot of flight time.

You can find one of the latest Bob reviews here on HF.

Best,
Frank
Tail boom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

6s-pro- a little more voltage=little less amps for same wattage used. I think you would really see a difference with 8S from 5S.
6S-con- may cost alittle more and a little heavier.
conrod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

or 12S, thats what i am planning to do now...

i got about 90 cycles on my 3 (6S 3000maH) outrages, so its getting to the time where i use them in my planks.

my 500l is due for a change anyways....
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stupid question: How can you get longer flighttimes out of a battery that has less Watts in it (5s vs 6s)? Or is it that with a 15T the motor power consumption is so much less that it makes up for the difference?
Pogo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Stupid question: How can you get longer flighttimes out of a battery that has less Watts in it (5s vs 6s)? Or is it that with a 15T the motor power consumption is so much less that it makes up for the difference?
That is not a dumb question at all, the short and simple answer is you don't. I believe most people who go with 5s also run higher capacity packs (3000+), were the 6s users go with around 2500mAh. I know some people are all about flight time and cram large 6s packs in there.

Personally I think I am a bit of an odd ball. I run 6s 2170mAh, I get about 5:00 of sport flying and about 3-4 minutes when I really start banging the sticks. Which is plenty for me, I can't keep my focus longer than that anyway! I also enjoy the lighter feel of the Heli with that smaller battery.

I have four batteries for the 500 and and plenty of charging capacity (3 x Hyperion Duo = 6 chargers), which keeps both my 500CF and 600ESP in the air as much as I want during a day of flying. I prefer more but shorter flights as I feel the quality of the flying is better if they are kept short.
Bikerjoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BikerJoy,
You must have power at the field or a ......Generator
conrod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrod View Post
BikerJoy,
You must have power at the field or a ......Generator
Nope, I just carry a BIG Marine deep cycle 12V 115Ah battery.
Bikerjoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjoy View Post
Personally I think I am a bit of an odd ball. I run 6s 2170mAh, I get about 5:00 of sport flying and about 3-4 minutes when I really start banging the sticks. Which is plenty for me, I can't keep my focus longer than that anyway! I also enjoy the lighter feel of the Heli with that smaller battery... ...I prefer more but shorter flights as I feel the quality of the flying is better if they are kept short.
Well, you're not the only oddball out here. I'm with you. I like the way the heli flies with my 2200 mah packs, and I gotta admit, after four min. of adrenalin, I prefer to land, take a breath and put in a new battery rather than keep pushing my luck in the air.
airpup86C is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in