Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Longest flight time possible with an electric FPV heli?

I'm planning to build an electric heli with just FPV stuff like a small FPV camera, eagle tree OSD, 5.8 VTX and maybe a GoPro when I want to shoot in HD. I'm very happy with my Naza-M so I'm planning to use the new Naza-H for this build. My main goal is to maximize flight time and fly FPV within my 2.4 TX range. I'm all in for suggestions like using longer tail booms, longer asymmetrical main blades, lower headspeeds with matching pinions, handwounding motors, choosing lower C rating batteries because of less weight and all other tips you guys might have. To put it simply how far can flight time be stretched for an FPV heli? Price and heli size are not the main factors in this build and I'm assuming it has to be bigger than 500 to have a tidy setup without using an extended landing gear. Could an Align kit be a good choice for such build? I'm not sure how they compare to other brands in terms of weight. Thanks for all your input.
| SAB GREEN GOBLIN 700 | SAB URUKAY | Synergy E5 | Synergy E7SE | 700 Dominator | Futaba 18MZ | T-Rex 500 ESP DFC | Mcpx BLS | Red Bull BO-105 | 180CFX | Kyosho Hyperfly | TBS Disco | Disco Pro | Disco Pro AMOB | Caipi | www.youtube.com/hizlimax |
Hizlimax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

a electric helli from start to finish average flight time is about 8 minutes with no acro

for long fpv a plane is the only way to go
even on a quad with a big pack 10-15 minutes safely is it
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I strap 2 packs of Lipo at the bottom of a 450 with GoPro2 and it can fly about 14-15 mins. I think 15 mins is about the longest you can get.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi!

I did about 16min. 30 sec. flight on Trex 600 Pro, 12S 2x3300 mAh.
Original symmetrical blades, RPM was lowered to 1500 rev/min to get max time. Heli was perfectly controllable. Of course NO acro at all. Gentle forward flight - circles, eights as to avoid hovering which would reduce the time.
I am planning to put FPV equipment onboard and the flight time is essential for me.
I will order assymetrical blades soon. Would you think that I should go for a bit bigger blades - 620mm? or stay with 600? regarding the flight time of course! I am aiming to exceed 20 minutes!

Greetings from Poland
Raven_poland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Raven,

I was also aiming for a flight time around 20mins. Could you share the battery voltage you had after you landed? I believe the lowest possible headspeed along with the longest blades you can fit will gain you the most flight time at first. You could even stretch the tail boom and use even longer mains. I have Spin Blades 435mm assymmetrical main blades for my Trex 500 and they do provide better lift and the build quality is great. They are much wider than the Align blades as well. Check out this thread which talks about 27 minute flight time with a Trex 700:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=301397

Cheers from Turkey
| SAB GREEN GOBLIN 700 | SAB URUKAY | Synergy E5 | Synergy E7SE | 700 Dominator | Futaba 18MZ | T-Rex 500 ESP DFC | Mcpx BLS | Red Bull BO-105 | 180CFX | Kyosho Hyperfly | TBS Disco | Disco Pro | Disco Pro AMOB | Caipi | www.youtube.com/hizlimax |
Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put 2 6s packs (total 9300 mAh) on my Gaui X5 fully decked out with FPV gear with 515mm asymetrical spinblades running at 1800rpm and got a 20 minute flight. Used up 80% of the packs. It flew pretty decent at 1800 ... I'm sure I can go lower to gain even more time.
windsnob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizlimax View Post
Hi Raven,

I was also aiming for a flight time around 20mins. Could you share the battery voltage you had after you landed? I believe the lowest possible headspeed along with the longest blades you can fit will gain you the most flight time at first. You could even stretch the tail boom and use even longer mains. I have Spin Blades 435mm assymmetrical main blades for my Trex 500 and they do provide better lift and the build quality is great. They are much wider than the Align blades as well. Check out this thread which talks about 27 minute flight time with a Trex 700:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=301397

Cheers from Turkey

I have two lipomonitors connected to both main batteries set at 3,7v/cell
I land when they start beeping. After eng. shutdown the voltage is about 3,8-3,85v/cell.
I hope I don't drain the batt too much!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kansas State University at Salina has a aviation department and they have an FPV that I think may have up to 6- 5000 mah 6s batteries on board outside the frame to get longer flight times don't know what their fight times are but you need to also look asymmetrical blades also. Since the flights aren't aggressive and you look at lower headspeeds flight times will increase.
I don't know what their flight times are but its set up for competitions.

edit: If you are only going down to 3.85V you are not even getting to the storage voltage yet set it down even lower when you get done 3.3V is still not a problem. The 3.8V is a good value to get to while breaking in Lipo Batterie, but after a dozen or so flights you can start getting more aggressive with your flight times. Just don't go below 3.0V.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually I was doing a break-in of the lipos as I did about 5 flight only after the final assembly of my 600PRO.
Some sources say that it's not good to go below 3,8v/cell as it degrades lipos much quicker.
I have read not to go over 80% of the capacity - which is in fact about 3,7 - 3,8v - I've checked after the flight the batteries take about 2700-2800mAh during charging (they are 3300mAh).
Next I will try assymetrical and a bit bigger - 620mm.
The winter has come to Poland - now we have -10 Celsius! (MINUS TEN!) so I think I will wait till spring with my next experiments
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my Trex 700 I'll fly down to 3.75 V and have to put back in maybe 2800mah. Well at least your keep an eye on the charging characteristics of your batteries.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_poland View Post
I have two lipomonitors connected to both main batteries set at 3,7v/cell
I land when they start beeping. After eng. shutdown the voltage is about 3,8-3,85v/cell.
I hope I don't drain the batt too much!
You can set your lipomonitor alarm to 3.5v/cell as it will start beeping when it sees one of the cells below that which means you will still have some 3.55s or even 3.60s on other cells. When you land you will still see 3.7s which is still in the safe zone imo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in