Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X4/X4 II

X4/X4 II Discussion and support for the Gaui X4 and X4 II

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1980 View Post
What kind of flight times with 6s 4000mah 30c lipo would i get with flying sport/light 3d? Also the kits are in at fast lad performance here in the uk, but the spares dont look like they are fully in yet, just wanted to see what spare prices were like.
You should get about ~5:00 easily doing sport / light 3D depending on your setup and collective management.

Parts are economically priced, and many parts are shared btween the X4 II, NX4 and X5 (tail mostly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nasca View Post
These new parts do not affect flyability. They are only to reinforce the frames in the event of a crash.
Thanks, Matt. Great to know!
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

The modification make sense, they don't include a counter bearing but they make sure the drive train and the pinion get together at all time with no major deformations between the vertical axis of the main shaft and the vertical axis of the motor shaft ... On a 500 size it's more than enough .... positive to negative brutal change of cyclic will create loads on the frame and induced some deformations ... gear mesh is critical with power involved (especially on this overpowered / heavy side model) ... Glad to not have finished mine ;-) and will wait for the parts to arrive ;-) ... hopefully soon ...
Flydynamics is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

They said it is a replacement with free of charge! Ask your distributor for exchange though but I don't know when this upgrade will be available.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flew my X4 II today. I found my new practice machine! This little guy is ultra fun. Flew 4 min on 3800s and had 33% left. I think 4:30 would be no problem and probably even 5:00.

I have no idea what the headspeed is but it's rocking. +-13 pitch and it doesn't even grunt, just pulls right through it. I'm very impressed with the GAUI servos so far. The cyclics are crisp and have good power and the tail holds well. Can't wait to go back out tomorrow!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's awesome Matt ... I spent 1/2 the day sorting out a few issues on my X4II but I now have a vibe free heli, partly my own fault.

During the process (thanks to a lack of X4II parts ... they're coming very very soon!) the X4II was running on an X5 tail boom/tt with Compass (Rotor-Tech/Fun-Key) 515mm main blades, and it looks like it would even take Edge 523s.

It was VERY floaty, even with the HKIII-4020-1100kv on a 14T pinion. I fully intend on investigating that further once I've had a chance to fully enjoy the model in it's stock form. A note on the 14T ... this is the smallest pinion you'll be able to run without modifications to the motor mount. You may even need to elongate one of the holes, mine was to the end of the adjustment and had a bit too much extra play in the gear mesh for my own liking.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great news Jeff!!!

The cross compatibility of the Gaui parts for this model gives you a lot of options. You could run 425, 475, 500, 515, and maybe 523's to tune the disk loading to your flying style.

Very impressive!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well ladies and gents, I found out the reason today for the new motor mount and bearing block ... I had more bad luck today immediately on lift off (this time a gyro issue). The gyro didn't seem to initialize properly this time. Literally lifted off and the whole bird was hard to control (not the fault of the bird).

At any rate, at first count I need a set of main blades, upper frames, servo horn, main gear, tt gears, and potentially a motor shaft. Canopy is banged up good, but reusable.

The frames fractured right between the motor mount and bearing block. This is why they elongated and linked the two components with the update parts.

In the meantime ... I'm just going to set it on a shelf and wait until we have our parts inventory (just placed our inventory order today .. parts finally showing available online).

Very sad ... I was thoroughly enjoying flying it and just starting to feel comfortable with it and the new controller. In fact, it was the only model I was flying today as I still needed to work out a few issues with other models. In the end, I set the 7HV up on the Futaba controller and it out to make myself feel better.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about the issue Jeff ... Happy to hear the Futaba gear allowed you to fly the 7HV.
Do you have any ETA for the Gaui new bearing block and motor mount ?
If you're free Monday afternoon, I have some good French product for you ;-)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nada ... I'm going to email JC tonight.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeff, sorry to hear about the crash man! Hope you get it healed up quick!

I flew mine more today and have fallen in love! I'm running Spin 465 3D blades at around 2700 HS! WOW Flight time went down to 4:00 but that's fine with me and 30 seconds longer than I'm used to flying.

It flies exactly like a small X7. Smooth, confident and pure fun! Everyone should have one of these!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yike...that's not a good early sign!

Does the new part provide a sort of solid metal plate through this area to stop it breaking the frame down the middle? I know the X5 needs the frame brace in this area though it's different by the looks of it; with the battery fence, the X5 seems to mainly break the front and rear of the frame (from reports) when it goes in and not the motor area.

Bending the motor shaft as well seems like an absolute PITA for a new model's first crash...I wonder why Gaui didn't discover this in testing and provide the new parts inside the kit.

I was close to ordering this kit but want to make sure it's not going to end up costing me more than an X5 is a crash. Did you break the little outrigger frames as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
Well ladies and gents, I found out the reason today for the new motor mount and bearing block ...

The frames fractured right between the motor mount and bearing block. This is why they elongated and linked the two components with the update parts.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

What size batteries were you using Matt?

How does it compare to your 6S and 12S X5s? It does sound like a very cool heli and I want one...need some additional info about the frame break issue Jeff has already run up against though.

Quote:

I flew mine more today and have fallen in love! I'm running Spin 465 3D blades at around 2700 HS! WOW Flight time went down to 4:00 but that's fine with me and 30 seconds longer than I'm used to flying.

It flies exactly like a small X7. Smooth, confident and pure fun! Everyone should have one of these!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailureToFly View Post
What size batteries were you using Matt?

How does it compare to your 6S and 12S X5s? It does sound like a very cool heli and I want one...need some additional info about the frame break issue Jeff has already run up against though.
3800 mAh

Funny you ask. At the field yesterday I had some people think I was flying the X5, when it was the X4II and vise versa. The performance is very similar, to see them fly, they look equally powered. To be at the controls; the 4 on 465mm blades feels super light, the 5 on 12s, has gobs of power but you can feel the added weight. Both of them are so powerful it's forcing me to work on my collective mgmt.

GAUI released a free upgrade for the X4II to connect the motor mount to the bottom main shaft bearing block to strengthen the frames.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks, Matt. Parts on order ... I hope to have them by the end of the week. These things happen, and it wasn't the fault of the X4II that the gyro didn't initialize properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailureToFly View Post
Does the new part provide a sort of solid metal plate through this area to stop it breaking the frame down the middle?

Bending the motor shaft as well seems like an absolute PITA for a new model's first crash...I wonder why Gaui didn't discover this in testing and provide the new parts inside the kit.

I was close to ordering this kit but want to make sure it's not going to end up costing me more than an X5 is a crash. Did you break the little outrigger frames as well?
I wouldn't let my crash stop you from purchasing one. It wasn't the X4's fault. See the picture of the new mounts that Gaui is providing free of charge based on what I've read. What used to be 2pcs that weren't connected are now 3pcs that connect to make one solid piece. This will prevent the motor torque from blowing out the frames in a crash since it's distributing the force over a larger area.

The lower frames were unscathed, and really, the upper frames would have survived as well if I had the updated bearing block / motor mount.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeff,

If you need parts for your x4 II, call me, mine will not fly before a while and if you want to have your fly rapidly I can borrow parts from my kit ;-)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about your X4 Jeff. Hopefully this is the end of you run of bad luck.

It is great to hear they are providing the parts free of charge. At least they have fixed the problem before most people have put the heli together.

Matt,
Have you got any videos of you flying the X4? That would be really cool to see you throw it around.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the generous offer, Marc. I submitted my dealer order for X4 II parts to the distributor yesterday. If they are able to fill the order complete, I should be golden.

Hey Scott ... the gyro was the same one that caused a crash with the Goblin 500 under the exact same circumstances. I'm sending it back to the manufacturer to take a look at it. The model goes ultra-sensitive. My 7HV was flying great ... I now have the Atom 5.5 up and running ... just need to get the Warp 360 on the Futaba radio gear now.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm considering replacing my 500 DFC with one of these.

Would like some feedback on my intended setup:

HKIII - 4025 - 550 Kv
15T 6mm pinion
CC Edge 80HV
CC Bec Pro
AR7200BX or Brain or mini V-Bar
DS515 on Cyclic
DS650 on tail
X5 tail boom and TT
Edge 473 or 523

Aiming for 2500-2800rpm
So far the right LiPos for this setup are not obvious to me, Ideally I'd like 2 x 2000mAh 6S 40C(or higher) Block packs.
Hobby king have some good looking 1300mAh 45C nanotech packs that I'm sure would fit but they will probably only give 2:30 - 3:00 max flight time, I'd like at least 4:30.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat6111 View Post
They said it is a replacement with free of charge! Ask your distributor for exchange though but I don't know when this upgrade will be available.

Just spoke with the NA distributor, they should be arriving any day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
HKIII - 4025 - 550 Kv ----- Aiming for 2500-2800rpm
Unless you're going to try and go 12S this is way too low a KV rating. Even with an 18T pinion (the largest they make I think) you'd only be able to achieve around 1750rpm realistically with about 1900 max at the start of the flight.

You need something up in the 850-1100kv range.

I'm running the HKIII-4020-1100kv in mine, and the stock setup comes with the 910kv.

I would just go with the stock 910kv motor on a 17T pinion governed if that's the range you want to achieve.

I think the right pack size for this model is between 3500-4500mah ... I'm running 4000mah 30C and they seem to be perfect in every way.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
...Unless you're going to try and go 12S...
that's exactly what I'm going for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
...So far the right LiPos for this setup are not obvious to me, Ideally I'd like 2 x 2000mAh 6S 40C(or higher) Block packs.
Hobby king have some good looking 1300mAh 45C nanotech packs that I'm sure would fit but they will probably only give 2:30 - 3:00 max flight time, I'd like at least 4:30.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in