Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters

500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters 500 Pro Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Restraining

In the Spektrum DX6 Instructional Manual, it refers to restraining the heli on the ground. How do I do this? Thank you.

Last edited by DaveScott; 12-22-2016 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
DaveScott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveScott View Post
In the Spektrum DX6 Instructional Manual, it refers to restraining the heli on the ground. How do I do this? Thank you.
I think this advice is both bizarre and wrong in equal measure - certainly for flybarless heli's. You may get away with it on a flybarred heli but it causes all sorts of complications with flybarless, some of them dangerous to either the heli or the user (or both).

So many things to fly, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashalotjoe View Post
I think this advice is both bizarre and wrong in equal measure - certainly for flybarless heli's. You may get away with it on a flybarred heli but it causes all sorts of complications with flybarless, some of them dangerous to either the heli or the user (or both).
Hi Mark - Thanks for your reply. However I don't understand - could you explain further. Thanks - Dave
Old 12-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you restrain a helicopter to the ground it is possible that the heli could explode into pieces. It has to do with vibration and resonant frequencies that can be introduced while Being restrained.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveScott View Post
Hi Mark - Thanks for your reply. However I don't understand - could you explain further. Thanks - Dave
It partly relates to vibrations and ground resonance and partly to the action of the flybarless controller. If you consider that the flybarless controller (FBL) is trying to keep the heli in the orientation that the sticks require. If it senses that it needs to put in say a bit of left aileron and it doesn't get any feedback that the heli has actually moved (because it is restrained) then it tries to put in more and more aileron until it is maxed out. With all control directions doing the same thing, chaos ensues. If the heli is just tethered and not totally constrained, bad things happen.

I'm assuming that the suggestion to restrain relates to carrying out transmitter function tests. IMO, the only way to do this safely is to remove the blades so all controls can be checked (even spool up) without significant danger. If you're only doing a servo test and don't need to spool up, you could just disconnect the motor.

I hope this helps

So many things to fly, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not a good idea. I just had an incident where my "restrained" 180CFX decided it wanted to eject its boom. It wasn't really restrained, I was testing head speed on carpet and the skids AND tail somehow got stuck in the carpet. It did this incredible death shake from 0-insanity in a fraction of a second. The tail got all twisted up and almost ripped off.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea, tail fins don't like getting stuck in anything..dirt/grass/carpet..makes the fbl go crazy..my ar7200
was intolerant of this..im using Spartan vortex now and its
much more forgiving..but never restrain a heli for reasons stated above..
Old 12-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

What everyone stated above it correct!

Restraining a helicopter on the ground is potentially very dangerous.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Guys - My apologies - The article refers to fixed wing! Doh! Thanks for you replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in