Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by egicar View Post
OK, you are right about certain "issues-non issues", like the high/low swash leveling.
Stefan already said that the MB corrects itself these little problems, but many of us don't read (the manual as well ).
Egicar, hopefully this wasnt your intention but this feels like a personal insult to me.
I have a very good understanding of the contents of the manual and the way a control system works. I am finishing my master degree in Mechanical engineering -> Dynamical systems design. So that would give me more than a basic understanding of control systems.

@Marcosp, you hit the nail on the head.
Fact is that the MB can only react to changes in rotational positions. So when you have interaction the MB can only react to this after a change in rotational position happens. Just like the increased torque from the main rotor where revomix is usefull. So when you can minimize interaction this will give a more stable flight.

I read that this Microsetting software is just a simple version to adjust the parameters like phasing and revomix and that a more extensive software version will follow later.
Looking at the reactions of a lot of people on the web this seems like a unwise decision. And for me it wasnt clear that this was just a simple quick version. So I understand a lot of peoples dissapointment on this version.
I certainly hope the swash levelling option will be part of the full software version. One of the MB developers even mentioned it already 9 months ago that it will be a option. So thats where my dissapointment came from when I saw it wasnt in this software version.
DannyvG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamgils View Post
Egicar, hopefully this wasnt your intention but this feels like a personal insult to me.
I have a very good understanding of the contents of the manual and the way a control system works. I am finishing my master degree in Mechanical engineering -> Dynamical systems design. So that would give me more than a basic understanding of control systems.

@Marcosp, you hit the nail on the head.
Fact is that the MB can only react to changes in rotational positions. So when you have interaction the MB can only react to this after a change in rotational position happens. Just like the increased torque from the main rotor where revomix is usefull. So when you can minimize interaction this will give a more stable flight.

I read that this Microsetting software is just a simple version to adjust the parameters like phasing and revomix and that a more extensive software version will follow later.
Looking at the reactions of a lot of people on the web this seems like a unwise decision. And for me it wasnt clear that this was just a simple quick version. So I understand a lot of peoples dissapointment on this version.
I certainly hope the swash levelling option will be part of the full software version. One of the MB developers even mentioned it already 9 months ago that it will be a option. So thats where my dissapointment came from when I saw it wasnt in this software version.
Of course! It absolutely wasn't my intention!!!
I'm sorry if you feel so . Excuse me, in any case, please.
I like very much the MB (maybe I'm one of the first MB owners) and I'm very happy about this new little application. Many scale pilots were waiting for a phasing option and I think that the revomix is awesome, also if the MB can work fine as it is.
However, I have found that many posts contain questions and issues that can find their responses/solutions simply reading and following the manual.
In my limited experience (I have only 3 little birds with MB installed), I can say that the MB can work very well if correctly installed on a heli correctly assembled.
Any mechanical imperfection affects the heli performance, expecially on a small size one. This could be amplified with a FBL system. For this reason, I do not recommend a FBL heli to a beginner that doesn't have experience in proper setup of his helicopter and don't fully know its mechanical principles. He could face a disappointment.
I hope that BeastX Development Team continues to refine the MB, adding features that we clients need, but it has its fisical limitations and we clients shoulb be aware of.
If a sw application can help overcome these limitations, IMO, so be it.

Ciao,
Egidio
Old 03-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosp View Post
My understanding is that high and low swash leveling is just the same concept as revo mix. You can wait for the heli to move in an undesired way and "then" let the gyros correct. We have been flying like this since the days of the first heading hold gyros. What is better is that since the inception of FBL, the gyro knows about collective movements and can anticipate the tail "before" the tail gyro senses any movement. This is better and that's why all units have incorporated revo mix, an old school tool that is still in Tx menus.

High and low swash leveling is just the same. If up and down swash are crooked the gyros are going to compensate for deviations in high and low pitch movements, but it will always be better if it is flying straight in the first place. The less you make the FBL unit work the better. In extreme cases like the dreaded 3G, even after exhausting setup of FBL parameters, you get bobbing and shakes all around from poor sensors catching late to wrong mechanically setup helis.

I like the ease of use of the no PC approach of the MB, but I miss the precise setup of a computer. I mean, you can level the swash ok "if you use a swash leveling tool", but Parameter A in Paramenters menu you never get right and if you do you can not repeat that setup, it's just by eyesight. Actually I never understood why you have to manually compensate for uneven climbs and descents (or level hover) on a FBL unit, this is unique to the MBX. A level swash at 0º and preferably a level swash at high and low should be enough, right?
About the A point - parameter menu.
The BeastX Team did it to help pilotes on the filed to make easily and quickly their helis standing in hover almost hands free. I prefer the "natural" behavior (sweet left shift) and I correct it with the TX stick ..., but the A point is an option, even if I don't use it.

Ciao,
Egidio
Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

On other FBL units you don't adjust for a level hover. You take off and it hovers steady, be it slightly tilted as it should. Once you take off, correct and enter a steady hover it stays there. I understand Par A is to correct this to some extent, but I still don't get it. A FBL unit with level swash and correct subtrims which in a computer setup you setup onscreen seeing what your Tx is throwing at it and the end points to get 100% each way, then you don't need any swash correction for hover.
Come to think of it I just answered myself, MBX needs this because it does not use a computer interphase so you might never have 0 input at midstick. I argued about the need to subtrim until you get perfect center on a Skookum thread and some guys called me awful names hahaha. I suggested if the heli drifts use trim and they understood it was a no no. It's a no no if the subtrims are calibrated to give absolute cero on all axis.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I understand the parameter A as to be a quick field adjustment in case the swash is not level from your previous leveling in the Setup Menu.

The parameter A over rides previous settings. It is something that might be useful if the heli does not go up in a perfect straight line when giving full pitch inputs. Ideally your swash should be level and your CG perfectly centered along with the cyclic gain and pitch up compensation already adjusted correctly. In this case you won't need to tough the parameter A.

Parameter A is only to be used if you didn't do the swash leveling perfectly previously IMO.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I did my first flight with Revomix enabled 20 cyclic and 40 pitch, the tail holds rock solid. I love my Trex 550 with the BeastX
www.modelhelicopter-review.nl
trexpro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosp View Post
I argued about the need to subtrim until you get perfect center on a Skookum thread and some guys called me awful names hahaha. I suggested if the heli drifts use trim and they understood it was a no no. It's a no no if the subtrims are calibrated to give absolute cero on all axis.
Marcos, I don't know about the SK, but I also had 3G before and if I remember correctly, upon power up the 3G samples the input channels and assumes that what it sees is trim not stick input. So if you set subtrim, it will be what is should be: subtrim. (same with the align 750 and 780 gyro, you can set subtrim)

Reading the MB manual, on page 61 it says: "Never use the trim functions of your remote control! The MICROBEAST will see trim as a control command and not as servo trim." To me it means, the MB does not sample the input channels upon power up like the 3G. In this case having the param A menu can be rather useful to do small adjustments that could be hard with the setup menu (I have 0 in param A, never had problem myself with the level setup, but I do use a swash leveling tool).
I am a Heli-Coholic! Citizen #207
PRÔTOS Max v2 PRÔTOS 380 Speed Goblin 380 Blade 180CFX
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK guys, apart from the sub trim talk has anyone else used this new revo mix function? I'd love to see what the general concensus is on acceptable values for a 550-600 sized heli (providing a pretty decent mechanical setup)
seemore74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set my T250 up with the revomix (not an easy task fishing and juggling connectors in this thing for sure). Barely-on rate mode showed 45 was a good level for collective. In HH mode I was quite amazed how nicely the tail stayed put with this active (so much so I spent a whole pack doing pitch pumps ).

Regarding the cyclic revo mix...how would one find the 'ideal' number...and what manouvers would benefit from something like this?
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

From MB forum ....

Quote:
To the scale pilots: It is assumed that the helicopter was adjusted according to the instructions and collective pitch center stick position corresponded to 0° pitch during the setup procedure! A subsequent change of the pitch curve then represents no problem but if from the beginning instead of 0° the adjustment has been done with hovering pitch the RevoMIX can not be used because it assumes that 1500μs pulse on the collective corresponds to 0° of pitch.

Does this mean if mid-stock is >0° pitch as some scale pilots set to 5° to achieve mid-stick hover RevoMix cannot be used?
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Set my T250 up with the revomix (not an easy task fishing and juggling connectors in this thing for sure). Barely-on rate mode showed 45 was a good level for collective. In HH mode I was quite amazed how nicely the tail stayed put with this active (so much so I spent a whole pack doing pitch pumps ).

Regarding the cyclic revo mix...how would one find the 'ideal' number...and what manouvers would benefit from something like this?
All cyclic moves benefit from revomix as well.... I'm not sure how to dial it in perfectly but the recommendation is to use half of what you used for the pitch value.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
From MB forum ....

Does this mean if mid-stock is >0° pitch as some scale pilots set to 5° to achieve mid-stick hover RevoMix cannot be used?[/I]
The way the revo mix works is that it applies the least amount of precompensation at midstick(1500us) and the increases the precomp as you move the stick up and down from there. For most pilots this is right because you have zero pitch at midstick...and zero precomp. Then as pitch increases(in either direction) the precomp increases.

So depending on your pitch curves things may not match up correctly. It might be OK in the midstick upwards but at your zero stick downwards the precomp won't match well.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it some... it depends on if the pitch was adjusted by the radio side or if it was done mechanically. If it was done in the radio you should be fine.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone heard any mumblings as to when this software will be available on mac?
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mac would be nice
browndog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndog View Post
Mac would be nice
VMware or Parallels...
Ecaf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have a ?? regarding the microsettings software? will it work like the skookum 720 where u do all programing from a computer then go fly?? do i have to power on the heli or just plug to my computer? can n e 1 help??
CHIEF-X is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

At the moment, only a couple of parameters can be set in the software... the idea is that they will later release the full software to allow all settings to be done via the computer interface. So to answer your first question, not yet no, but in the future, yes.

I haven't used the software myself, but to update firmware you need power supplied to the microbeast, so I'm guessing the same goes for adjusting settings via PC.

Ecaf - that's great and all, but it requires one to have a copy of parallels or fusion, a copy of windows, and installing both onto the mac for potentially one bit of micro settings software. Beast has always promised software for both mac and PC, and the beast updater has a version for both - hence why I was wondering when the mac version might be along.

It's a good suggestion though for those who absolutely can't wait.
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs_nut_58 View Post
i have a ?? regarding the microsettings software? will it work like the skookum 720 where u do all programing from a computer then go fly?? do i have to power on the heli or just plug to my computer? can n e 1 help??
The Microsettings at this point do not cover all the settings. It is only for Revomix and for Swash plate phasing/type.

You do it from a computer with the microbeast powered up.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

•Asymmetry is a compensation function if the tail gyro behaves unequal between both directions (there are no negative values since the value depends also on the setting for the main rotor torque). Under normal circumstances it should not be necessary to change this value - default is 0.
simmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndog View Post
Mac would be nice
Mac and Linux

Ciao,
Egidio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in