Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > For Sale Forums – KNOW your buyer/seller ratings! No Price bashing. NO FIREARMS > Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts

Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts Post your theft, scammed, ripped off reports here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you guys sure about this security screw thing. I got a used GY401 on ebay and it had plain screws. It was very old and dirty looking so I figured it was probably not a fake. I saw the thing about the screws, mine had plain screws so I got worried and opened it up. Every aspect of the boards inside and connections are identical in every way to a known genuine one I have including a big chip that is mostly covered by the way it is inslalled. I can clearly read the first three letters Fut on this chip that is inside it. On the fakes they have a big steel nut where this chip is and the boards look nothing like the genuine futaba. It seems to work good and I do know the differance .
rcollector is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollector View Post
Are you guys sure about this security screw thing. I got a used GY401 on ebay and it had plain screws. It was very old and dirty looking so I figured it was probably not a fake. I saw the thing about the screws, mine had plain screws so I got worried and opened it up. Every aspect of the boards inside and connections are identical in every way to a known genuine one I have including a big chip that is mostly covered by the way it is inslalled. I can clearly read the first three letters Fut on this chip that is inside it. On the fakes they have a big steel nut where this chip is and the boards look nothing like the genuine futaba. It seems to work good and I do know the differance .
It's possible that the original owner replaced the screws, but they should come from Futaba with the 3 blade screws. I know mine has the 3 blade screws.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could the real early ones have come with Phillips screws? Seems there is no question the new futaba 401 uses security screws but futaba doesn't mention anything on it's web page on identifying fakes about the screws.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have to agree with rcollector, I don't have a single 401 with that type of screw. All of mine are phillips. I do have one of the fake 401s, it came on a heli I bought, it has the silver connectors. Doesn't work very well, tail won't lock down, either too much gain or not enough. It's almost like the old piezo gyros where it starts drifting when things warm up a bit.
cctvflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Could the real early ones have come with Phillips screws? Seems there is no question the new futaba 401 uses security screws but futaba doesn't mention anything on it's web page on identifying fakes about the screws.
I'll email Futaba and see what they say.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
Old 03-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Futaba says if it has phillips, it's counterfeit.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
All the GY 401's I had ( three) had phillips screws holding the top and bottom case together.These 401's were purchased from Hobbico when the GY 401's first came on the market. At the time I was a Futaba team pilot. The GY 601's I had also had phillips screws holding the case together. Maybe Futaba changed what type screws they used, but they have used phillips screws also. Futaba connectors will always be gold color.
Gold-plated terminals improve conductivity and prevent oxidation for
longer lifespan.
1DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
Futaba says if it has phillips, it's counterfeit.

Hmm, mine is a pretty darn good counterfeit if it is a counterfeit. It is identical in every way internally and works as good as the original.....
Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hmm, mine is a pretty darn good counterfeit if it is a counterfeit. It is identical in every way internally and works as good as the original.....
Then Futaba lied to me.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's what it sounds like to me. If I was the only one I would say the screws have been replaced but what about 1DavidH, pretty convincing. Maybe they just want to sell even more gyros? Who knows. Here is a long thread at rc groups also on this subject http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296848 SYMAWD ,I see you are involved in the discussion. I am in no way trying to stirr up trouble. I just can't figure out why mine works so good, looks identical inside and has phillips screws. My other helis have a JR g7703d and GY520 and this 401 holds the tail as well...I used to fly with xmhobbie G401b's so I am also familiar with the performance of cheap gyro's. As I said before though maybe mine is a real good clone. Can someone here confirm that there are clones that look identical inside, even have futaba lettering on the large black chip inside? What the heck, maybe mine was crashed and they replaced the case with one from a fake?

The bottom of page three of the rc groups thread has some good photos of a bad fake....

Last edited by rcollector; 03-30-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are some photos of the insides of a real one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3141785
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default More fakes on eBay

I am an example. I just purchased what turned out to be a fake Futaba GY401 on eBay from HOBBY HOBBY.STORES. I had installed it on my Blade 400, but had not yet test flown it. Seemed to work, so I gave the seller full marks in feedback.

Another guy who also purchased a gyro from the same seller contacted me and asked me if mine was a fake. After reading the Futaba web page on fakes, I assumed because it had gold connectors that it was real. WRONG.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/techsupport/counterfeit.html

Dug out a known good Futaba GY401 that I purchased a couple of years ago for my Trex 450SE. Differences are: Fake uses phillips screws. Real one has tri bladed security screws. Also, the product numbers on the bottom of the plastic case are different. On the FAKE, the numbers are "07101492-1", and "GY401-020". On the real Futaba gyro, the numbers on the bottom of the case are "01101472-1", and "GY401-001".

Chris Shaker
cjshaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got my money back

Just got my money back from the seller of the take GY401 Gyro... Thank you eBay!

Chris Shaker
cjshaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #34 (permalink)

How does futaba still sell gy 401 at their prices anyways. A quark is much cheaper somehow?
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

So this is FAKE?

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_1982wt_1795

The seller does not know if they are fake or authentic so I asked if they come from china or LBS. Her responded:

"I get them from a guy that works at the local Hobbytown. He will not say where he gets them from. I was able to get 5 of them from him 3 weeks ago and this is the last one I have until he lets me know he has more. "

How about this one?

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-GY401...#ht_948wt_1274

I guess the font on the side of the box can't be used to determine the fake in these two cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebz View Post
In addition to the connector tangs being silver instead of gold, Futaba says the "401" font used on the paperboard package is different - it's a very minor difference, but their site shows pics of each for comparison:

http://www.futabarc.com/techsupport/counterfeit.html

Note that Futaba also says some servos are also fakes on that webpage
------------------

The imitations and their packaging are visibly different than the true Futaba items. Refer to the photographs below to learn how you can easily tell between them.
GY401 Gyro Comparison

1. Compare the GY401 packages.

The "GY401" type fonts are different.
2. Examine the plating on the gyro connector terminals.

The terminals on the genuine Futaba gyros are gold-plated to lower contact resistance. Those on the counterfeit versions are silver.
S9254 & S9257 Servo Comparison

Differences can be found in the plating on the servo connector terminals and in the shapes of the grommets.

1. Connector terminals on the genuine Futaba servo is gold-plated to lower contact resistance. Those on the counterfeit version are silver.
2. The grommet on the counterfeit servo is slightly shorter than that on the genuine Futaba product.
ozvena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #36 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just get a spartan Quark for 10$ more?

Really, at 72$ for a possible fake gy401, get a spartan quark for 90$ when on sale?
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lucky me got my Futaba GY401 in the mail today.
Decided to open it up and take some pictures for you guys.
Tell you what, it could be taken as genuine except for the big nut in the middle, and the word "ues" instead of "use" on the card as read from the bottom of the clear plastic housing.
Mine weighs 25 grams, not 27 as stated in the manual that came with the gyro.
Philips head screws, and gold plated connectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2003.JPG (479.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2004.JPG (490.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1999.JPG (510.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2013.JPG (497.0 KB, 99 views)
Align Trex 450S
Old_tech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

genuine question: why do people still pay $60 for a tail gyro when you can get a FBL gyro for the same price and only use the tail portion of the gyro, until you later upgrade your head to FBL then use the rest of it?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why are people still buying 401s when you can get a second hand Quark?
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default fake GY401

Hi,
I just bought one off ebay and it would not work.
Opened it up and big nut inside.
This had gold contacts on connectors. The screws were normal Phillips type.
Hope he refunds.
Vince
xpecta is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in