Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > RealFlight Flight Sim

RealFlight Flight Sim All versions of RealFlight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Real flight

I was at my local hobby store and was practicing out on a real flight simulator. I never flew before except for a small sky patroller but I recently bought a blade MCX2, just waiting on it to come in the mail! The guy at the hobby store told me I have to learn to hover before I even attempt to fly, on the simulator I can't seem to hover at all? Any tricks or anything to help learn ? I downloaded the sample version on my laptop until I get a real flight simulator with the radio controller
mikey214 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its hard, you really just need practice, practice, practice and do the tutorials/training in the Realflight sim.

It just takes time man

Dead heli's flying: Compass 7HVU, 6HVU, Atom 5.5
RIP Compass
electronjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
Its hard, you really just need practice, practice, practice and do the tutorials/training in the Realflight sim.

It just takes time man
Thanks ! I thought so was hoping it wasn't me , the guy was telling me to keep the heli in one spot and I looked at him like he was joking me it felt like I was getting blown all over the place , but I guess I have to buy the simulator and just practice and practice and practice , is it just like the real thing so if I learn on the simulator ill be able to fly a collective pitch helicopter?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Repetition.

Quote:

It just takes time man

Flog the simulator! Far better than busting up your new bird. I did it the hard way, coulda bought two computers with the crash damage money. It's only hard at first.

Got RF after I learned to stay airborn. I repeatedly broke the bank trying to keep two birds in flying shape, you have to be somewhat stubborn.

PS you got the right sim in my opinion, happy flying!
RobZfisherman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey214 View Post
...so if I learn on the simulator ill be able to fly a collective pitch helicopter?
Yes just make sure you can hover perfectly (no incorrect "corrections") in all orientations, piro, and fwd flight with a small heli and the settings set to advanced.

Turn on wind and learn to compensate. Make it harder than it is in real life. There is a "pucker factor" the sim just doesn't capture. I cement orientations and maneuvers in my mind with a small heli like the Furion 450 and the sim speed up at 150% and maybe even a little gusty wind which leaves no room for mistakes.

RIP Compass
Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes just make sure you can hover perfectly (no incorrect "corrections") in all orientations, piro, and fwd flight with a small heli and the settings set to advanced.

Turn on wind and learn to compensate. Make it harder than it is in real life. There is a "pucker factor" the sim just doesn't capture. I cement orientations and maneuvers in my mind with a small heli like the Furion 450 and the sim speed up at 150% and maybe even a little gusty wind which leaves no room for mistakes.

+1 The reset button on the sim is a whole lot cheaper that buying a lot of parts.
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will be receiving my blade mcx2 tomorrow hopefully I will also pick up a simulating !
Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where are you at in Jersey Mikey? I am by the shore, Point Pleasant area, and we have a couple clubs here you can come check out if you want
Micro-ocd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-ocd View Post
Where are you at in Jersey Mikey? I am by the shore, Point Pleasant area, and we have a couple clubs here you can come check out if you want
I'm at exit 135 on the parkway , Clark if your familiar with this area , but my grandmother has a shore house in lavallette and my dad and uncle dock their boat at Clark's landing in point pleasant !
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Oh, there's more.

On the sim your bird is perfectly tuned and assembled for flight. Your new bird will need trimming and gyro/menu adjustments at lift off. If you can have an experienced pilot do the first flights for you it will help your wallet.

Typically the rudder needs most of the adjustments and cyclic may or not be off while pitch and rpm will want attention at the same time. And blade tracking vying to keep you busy.

Cheers!
RobZfisherman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally picked up a real flight 6 simulator today ! Been practicing for about the last two hours just about getting hovering down. . . I was thinking , how long does it take to learn and be comfortable flying?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Finally picked up a real flight 6 simulator today ! Been practicing for about the last two hours just about getting hovering down. . . I was thinking , how long does it take to learn and be comfortable flying?
Its not easy. It took me months of practice before I could fly in fwd flight comfortably, but I have a job and two kids. The amount of time & energy I have available is limited. It depends on your age, time, and natural hand-eye coordination.

Just remember, when you think you are comfortable on the sim, you are not as good as you think. Not because your hand-eye coordination isn't right. When flying in the real world crashing costs $$ and time.

To help make the sim prepare you for the real world, hook the crash detection to a cattle prod and then you'll have a more realistic setup.

RIP Compass
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Its not easy. It took me months of practice before I could fly in fwd flight comfortably, but I have a job and two kids. The amount of time & energy I have available is limited. It depends on your age, time, and natural hand-eye coordination.

Just remember, when you think you are comfortable on the sim, you are not as good as you think. Not because your hand-eye coordination isn't right. When flying in the real world crashing costs $$ and time.

To help make the sim prepare you for the real world, hook the crash detection to a cattle prod and then you'll have a more realistic setup.

What does this mean ? How would I do this ? Sorry I'm new to all of this and am still learning !
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was kind of joking about the cattle prod. what I mean is that the simulation does not simulate how your nerves will be when those blades are spinning and all your money and time is a split second away from being a big mess. many people get nervous and tense up and like a deer in headlights make a wrong decision.

RIP Compass

Last edited by electronjunkie; 04-03-2012 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Speeech to text homonym errors
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I was kind of joking about the cattle prod. what I mean is that the simulation does not simulate how your nerves will see when does blades are spinning and all your money in time is a split second away from being a big mess. many people get nervous and tense up and like a deer in headlights make a wrong decision
I see ! I guess it'll take alot of practice , practice , practice !
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I've just been practicing on tail-in hovering in the training section, I just got down to a small boundary, obviously still have an occasionally "over the boundary mistake." My question is when do I know that I've accomplished tail-in hovering? So, I can move on to nose-in then side-in.
Thanks for the replies!
Mike
Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
...My question is when do I know that I've accomplished tail-in hovering? So, I can move on to nose-in then side-in.
Thanks for the replies!
Mike
There's probably many guides on the web for hover exercises. Maybe someone around here has a link?

I would change it up and practice the other orientations when you get really bored of tail-in. Then when you get the other orientations come back and try it with a 450 size and turn the wind on with gusts.

The key is when you start to get comfortable then add something that makes it more challenging like using smaller 3D helis, increase simulation speed, increase wind gusts, etc.

Then move on to slow piro hovers.

Repeat the above for inverted

RIP Compass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in