Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The yamaha and honda of somehow equal quality. Honda just is a bit easier to get.

Great to hear you finally switched to field charging. That way you need fewer batteries. And with a 2000 Watt unit you can go for continous flying
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
The yamaha and honda of somehow equal quality. Honda just is a bit easier to get.

Great to hear you finally switched to field charging. That way you need fewer batteries. And with a 2000 Watt unit you can go for continous flying
Ingolf, I am so happy with field charging now that I would never do it another way! Now I get to be a part of the generator club. Yes the Yamaha is as nice as the Honda, and I like the fuel gauge and fuel shut off knob. Its a whole new way for me, much fewer batteries as you said too. A hard way to be convinced to buy a generator, but definitely the right way to go. Hope all is well down if Florida.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the idea of the Bat-Safe mentioned in other threads. It's the only device I've seen that has both venting and a smoke particle filter - apart from externally vented fire cabinets. I would never store or charge in an unvented fire-proof container - that's inviting an explosion if a lipo goes up inside it. Charging outdoors is the best bet of course.

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

super scary for sure! I'm gonna go through all my batteries and get rid any old ones (salty death) and sell off new ones I don't use. I don't fly often so a couple of batts is all I need.

This is getting too common place.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fan ally got my garage almost finished. They had to put kilz on all walls, bring the floor paint off, clean everything, replace several light fixtures (all had to be pulled out) replace fans, replace the double doors that the fire department chopped down and so many other things. The work table and upper cabinets are still on order. It took from June to today to get this far with the insurance company and the work. Here's a before and after picture. My car is still not repaired yet! There is still sooooo much to do to get it back to what it was, but at least the floors and walls are new again.

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	672395  
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
Old 11-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My garage is just about finished now. I am hanging more cabinets today and tomorrow I'll clean off all the smoke soot from the salvageable items (fun!). Here's a cool way to store my Helis out of the way.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	679550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3781.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	679551  
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.3572FD16-9062-4294-A1D4-3E768837110E.MOV (6.49 MB, 92 views)
Old 11-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
My garage is just about finished now. I am hanging more cabinets today and tomorrow I'll clean off all the smoke soot from the salvageable items (fun!). Here's a cool way to store my Helis out of the way.
Stunning!
Goblin500, Goblin 380KSE and 2 blade, Logo 400SE, Gaui X3, Oxy3 Cube, Standard Oxy 3, Graupner Alpha 300 3d Quad Graupner MZ12 Tx, ,Vbar Control, NEO, Mini and Full Size Vbar, Futaba, Ikon, Spartan Vortex, Castle and HW Escs, Vortex 150FPV, FatShark
Pard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holy cow. Just reading thru this thread. The fire sprinklers are an awesome idea.

Glad your house was spared and only some smoke damage.

I'm glad I store all my batteries inside metal boxes on an aluminum shelf in my temp controlled garage.

Safety first! my wife thinks i'm crazy until I show her these threads...

Good luck
-Markus
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I 1st started flying electric I was charging batteries inside a wood stove in the garage, which is ~30 ft from the house, with damper wide open. I decided that might not be enough after seeing some of the LiPO fire videos. I still charge occasionally in the house, but only when I'm close by and only with window open, and a heavy bath towel nearby (for grabbing the batteries when chucking them out the window.)
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now that six months has gone by and life is back to normal, I've found that field charging is easier than charging at home the night before. I don't have to do all the "prep" work, And once at the field, charging at either 2 or 3 C keeps me running all day. I also take fewer batteries. Yes, the generator cost some money, but there is a trade off by needeng fewer batteries. If I want to fly in my yard I put my charger on a small folding table in the driveway. Very very easy this way, and completely safe.

To be clear, IMHO, there is no 100% safe way to charge Lipos inside your home.

Thanks to all of you with your kind comments
Old 12-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Garage is finally finished! The sad part is that we are now selling the house, oh well. I've been vocal about charging batteries inside of a home ever since this happened.It's easy to stop from doing this if you make a charging case. Even if you don't buy a generator, you can charge outside your garage with a short heavy duty extension chord, just put your charger on a portable table. It's even easier than trying to make a burn proof battery charge station. Heres some pictures of the end result. it turned out way better than what I had. Fortunately I'll be taking everything with me to the new house.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	684174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0166.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	515.8 KB
ID:	684175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	684176  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in