Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pyro hover tips

Hey guys, do you have any tips for mastering pyro hovers. I'm slowly progressing but I feel like there is more to them! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
lukeristau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do a hover going from tail in to right side in to nose in to left side in back to tail in , pauseing at every orientation for a second. Tail in, pause, turn, right side in, pause, turn to nose in... ect.

If you need to practice practice a simple tail in hover. Then nose in. then side and side. When you can hover all four try to combine them into a slow piro. Do inverted too. Both directions. You will naturally get more confident with the four hover positions and know what to do when the next orientation is coming up depending on clockwise or sounterslockwise, inv. or not.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

You will find there is one really tough transition in a piro and that is when going from side on to nose in. The way I found to overcome that was to practice the four orientations in different locations. The key location being off to the right in front. That is the nasty point on right turning piro's. From there motion is key. So I move down a line in front from left to right in each of the four orientations. Then I move in a line away and towards again in all four orientations. And then the same but offset to the left and right. A version of this that has been subscribed to is to do square circuits. Also did that in all four orientations.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try Tail in to all 8s and funnels. It's stickied in this forum for good reason. It's the reason I'm a decent flier today. Going to make me into a great flier by the end.
Kaolith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeristau View Post
Hey guys, do you have any tips for mastering pyro hovers. I'm slowly progressing but I feel like there is more to them! Thanks
Lots to them.

Being comfortable and in control in ALL orientations.

Being able to fly around piroing - up and down the field. Centering the heli wherever you want it. (you do fly in wind, holding a piro in the wind is the same as a moving piro in calm conditions)

LOTS of practice (sim and IRL are your friend).

Start at a speed you can control, then slowly increase speed.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

4 point hovers. once you can hover tail in for a minute, move to tai left, hover a minute, move to nose in, hover for a minute, move back to tail in and repeat both times keeping in a tight spot.

Now put some trim on your rudder so you do 1 piro per minute and keep the heli on the spot. if you start to wonder out of your area reset. once you get good you can hold this for 10 minutes.

its boring but if you want perfection you have to persist
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post

Now put some trim on your rudder so you do 1 piro per minute and keep the heli on the spot.
I think this is a good idea. I just got into helis well a few months now and practice everyday and have never thought about this one. ill be trying this. ive been doing it all by hand and its rough
Mainboom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainboom View Post
I think this is a good idea. I just got into helis well a few months now and practice everyday and have never thought about this one. ill be trying this. ive been doing it all by hand and its rough
its boring. but stick with it ideally once you get good you should be able to do 10 minutes without going outside of the area.

using rudder trim makes it easier to practice, tryi holding a slow piro for more than a minute......

its part of the from funnels to all 8's trainging
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2017, 02:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
its boring. but stick with it ideally once you get good you should be able to do 10 minutes without going outside of the area.

using rudder trim makes it easier to practice, tryi holding a slow piro for more than a minute......

its part of the from funnels to all 8's trainging
Orientation is a heli basic. It's worth the time to get right (even if it's boring).

I have never heard an advanced pilot say "I wish I spent less time on the basics".
Old 06-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, this stationary pirouetting is a must: both directions and also inverted.

It's a b.... and confusing sometimes, but at the moment it's a must every last two minutes of every training flight.
apper001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used the TAIL for all my orientation, as I had a bitch of a time truly seeing the tip of the nose from any distance.

In Normal Up-Right Piro Hover = Tail is pointed direction I need to Tilt the Rotor Disc / Make the Heli Go? => Right Stick Down for a split-second and Tail Down in that direction

In Inverted Piro Hover = Tail is pointed the direction I need to Tilt the Rotor Disc / Make the Heli Go? => Right Stick Forward for a split-second & Tail Down in the direction.

I never started using Aileron until a lot later in the game for very fine adjustments. When you are first learning, you need one thing that can save you fast & reliably, then add to that skill with ailerons as you get more reliably stable & safe.

Additional TIP 1
(unless you knew this already) = Turn down your FBL Tail Rotation or your Tail DR so at full stick, your rotation rate is no more that 360 deg/sec or less. Trying to learn Piro Hover for the first time in a Heli that is spinning at 520 degrees / second is maddening & futile.
Additional TIP 2 = Learning to "nudge" or bump the right stick for a split second instead of pushing it down for 1.5 seconds in a big key in small corrections & learning these. If you replay your errors, you will probably notice that Over-Correction is what is killing you, not so much not knowing which way to move the sticks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in