Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OnTheSnap
  • 1 Post By alyon187

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Would you recommend a trex800

I have a friend who is sport flyer/big air and he wants a big heli. He is debating between the trex 800 or the Protos 770. Would you recommend the Trex 800 Pro DFC? I fly Goblins so I have no opinion on the matter. I have a few questions:
1. How is the fit and finish?
2. Are the directions and build easy?
3. Any upgrades needed?
4. Can you fly on 12s 5000mah packs?

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Spencerkey; 12-12-2016 at 10:12 AM..
Spencerkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The only helicopter I have that didn't come as a RTF or BNF was a T-Rex 800E, so I can't compare how other builds are in comparison. With that said:

1. How is the fit and finish?

Mostly flawless. Everything fits just fine, the only problem was that the torque tube was a little bit too short (same with spares I bought later), so I'd strongly recommend to make sure it can't slip out of the bevel gears. Everything else was perfect.

2. Are the directions and build easy?

Well, building a helicopter naturally isn't easy, but the directions were clear and accurate.

3. Any upgrades needed?

Nope.

4. Can you fly on 12s 5000mah packs?

Yes.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. I may get the Trex 800 too. I've looked at a few threads and it seems like a decent heli. I can share packs and seems like a perfect sport flyer. I would buy one without the electronics and put a HW 160 ESC and maybe Xpert R2 servos or KST X servos with a iKon FBL.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recommend the 800 pro dfc. mine run perfectly . most realible heli of my fleet . I run it on 12s 5000ah heli was little bit tail heavy but 2-3 try to perfectly balance the battery and good to go. mine is praticaly stock. it a 3gx kit with bl800h servo , upgrade I put ar7200bx, helioption canopy quick release and aluminium rear tail case lock (just for safety don't like the oem plastic one)
Old 12-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome. The aluminum rear case lock is what upgraded part? Is it the kde direct tail boom support mount?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One more thing: the T-Rex 800 comes with 780 mm blades. Since I didn't buy that ship to be modest, I bought the 800 mm blades which are not only longer, but also have a larger chord size. I read somewhere that hovering is more difficult with the 800 blades, but boy, the sound of these blades is just awesome. Not a necessary upgrade for sure, but something to keep in mind in case you... ahem... need to replace the blades anyways .
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. I've read the stock blades are decent and the 800 do make the heli a tad sensitive. I'll stick with stock and maybe upgrade later. But 800 blades have to be huge!!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.helioption.com/store/inde...cPath=63_69_70 that what I put on mine except the tail control link. kde and align 700 tail fin wound't fit already try. 700 boom 21mm 800 is 24mm
Old 12-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Protos Max V2 or Evoluzione has a ton more power carrying capability with a complete belt system, no gears (no problem to upgrade later to a 50xx 14s monster setup), far more robust tail mechanics, a lot more gear ratio flexibility, butt saving Gorilla gear option, optional integrated power bus to make wiring a snap, and most importantly a head geometry and dampening system that gives it a huge RPM range.

I have a 770 setup that I have run with a 4530 12s, 4535 12s, and now it has a monster 50xx-460kV Tareq, on 14s.

Yes I'm biased. But hey it's my 2c. The T800 is really trying to stretch into 800 blades. Where the Protos was designed ground up to support up to 800 blades. With 700, 770, 800 boom options.

Also the platform continues to evolve and you will continue to see it lead the industry in terms of airframe innovations.

On 780 blades 50xx 14s mixed headspeed (1350, 1950):
Protos Evoluzione 770 Yellow Mixed Headspeed (6 min 21 sec)
K2Freak likes this.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll only comment on the blade size...
I had a Trex 700.. that I stretched to 800 size and I fitter the Spinblades (allblack) 800 size blades... they have wider core and are in general terms... more robust...
It flew AWESOME...

now I only fly scale so hovering with two of these blades was cool... all until I fitted the 4 blade main head... then it turned into pure fun...

Can't go wrong with 800 size...

gh
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going to go with the Trex 800. I would have gone with the Protos but I don't need a IKon (I have a few laying around). Also it doesn't come with blades. The Trex 800 with blades and motor (no electronics) will be about $1150. Since I lack the 3D skills this will be my big sport flying boat.

My setup:
Trex 800 w/ motor and blades
HW 160
KST X20 servos
IKon
Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have never had a Trex 800 but know several that do and have flown one also. I do have an 800 class heli myself presently and I really like it but if I was to just go out and buy one today the Trex would be at the top of the list with the Synergy 766 . The difference being is that the Synergy is a great heli but costs a bunch more to get going. Yes it has a beefier gear train ect but I have no use for huge power and the stock power plant in the Trex 800 is very strong. I like TT and gears and have zero use for a belt coming off my motor. I like the simple strong drive trains in the Trex and Synergy so they would be my choices.I have flown the Trex 780 mains a bunch on my first 800 ship and they fly and auto very nice. Cannot go wrong with the Trex 800 Pro.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Edit; my buddy talked me into the Protos Max V2. I flew it and was amazed. Not much more than the T800 and for a few hundred dollars more I have a great heli, great HF support and I can expand it later to a 770 or 800. You can't go wrong with that.

Last edited by Spencerkey; 12-23-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Spencerkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I woukd def go w the max. Protos, especially the evos, are sexy and i love the dual belt system it uses. My g380 has the same belt setup and its super smooth/ quiet.
K2Freak likes this.
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've own Trex800Pro for 3.5 years and this summer is 4 season that I'm flying.
I push this heli quite hard, done 160 flights, have 3 crashes, 2 of them was my fault, and last one was due to the torque tube failure (since I haven't changed since the last crash).
One thing that needs to be changed is head dampers, because they worn out after 50 flights. I changed mine to Lynx ones and don't have any issues.
Also I use MSH Brain (with governor) for fbl unit and it flyies incredibly great. Feels very light, agile and very powerfull.
I run 2250 rpm, 12s 5200 60C Align packs (incredible packs, 130 cycles ang still going strong). And I get 3:50 min of 3D flight.
Very happy with this helicopter
Old 12-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerClown View Post
I've own Trex800Pro for 3.5 years and this summer is 4 season that I'm flying.
I push this heli quite hard, done 160 flights, have 3 crashes, 2 of them was my fault, and last one was due to the torque tube failure (since I haven't changed since the last crash).
One thing that needs to be changed is head dampers, because they worn out after 50 flights. I changed mine to Lynx ones and don't have any issues.
Also I use MSH Brain (with governor) for fbl unit and it flyies incredibly great. Feels very light, agile and very powerfull.
I run 2250 rpm, 12s 5200 60C Align packs (incredible packs, 130 cycles ang still going strong). And I get 3:50 min of 3D flight.
Very happy with this helicopter
wow! 2250rpm in a trex800pro
Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I usedd to have the Trex, now I have the Protos. The Max is a superior machine in so many ways... Alex (OTS) nailed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in