Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > Chroma Camera Drone

Chroma Camera Drone Chroma Camera Drone Multirotor Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Windows 10 with Chroma GUI

Has anyone got the Chroma GUI working with Windows 10? Mine worked fine with Windows 7, but now the Chroma won't connect, and tells me I need to update firmware?
George
George1234 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1234 View Post
Has anyone got the Chroma GUI working with Windows 10? Mine worked fine with Windows 7, but now the Chroma won't connect, and tells me I need to update firmware?
George
Nobody tried this yet?
George
Old 09-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1234 View Post
Nobody tried this yet?
George
Hi
I did now, and I can confirm that Chroma GUI does not connect using Windows 10 although in Device Manager all is fine. It worked within seconds on a Windows 8.1 Notebook.

On the Windows 10 PC I then followed the instructions on the Chroma GUI under "You may need to install a USB Driver", but also that didn't get the expected success.

I guess, as the Device Manager accepts the Driver when connecting the Chroma, the GUI having any problem to connect to the COM Port.

Dario
remix007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I asked Horizon Hobby about it, they said it doesn't work in Windows 10, and they have no idea when it will! I took another approach since all computers in our house have been updated to 10, I bought an old but refurbished laptop with a clean install of Windows 7. So I now have a dedicated computer for my Chroma.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

...strange. I posted the issue on horizons facebook side and they replied, that they didn't hear about any issue so far and will have a look at this on Tuesday....
I'm really curious about next statements...
remix007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Widows10 has some serious issues. I don't plan to try it again until the week before the free upgrade runs out. I hope HH/blade can figure it out.
PawnDMonium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

For those not wanting to buy a new computer... you can install https://www.virtualbox.org/ and then install a copy of windows 7 to that.

Either way Blade should fix this. Windows 10 is a fine OS and it's rather strange that it doesn't work on Windows 10. Seems like poor programming.

JohnCC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sure I read that the 350 GUI doesn't work with Win 10 but works fine for me.

Loving Win 10 here and you have a month after upgrade to go back to your previous version of Windows if you don't like it.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tonight was my first time trying to get Chroma to work in Windows 10 and indeed it was a failure. So I will try to get it working in VirtualBox, I see no reason it will not work there unless the USB driver cannot run virtually for whatever reason.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Blade Chroma Camera Drone GUI - Windows 10 / Surface Pro 4 (10 min 58 sec)

Watch in high definition and full screen. Don't watch it here on helifeak, the default player is too small. Skip to 8mins if you want to see it working.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have my flame retardant long handles on so I'm ready to be flamed.

Windows 10 is like vista. In that a lot of hardware and software will not work with it as of late. They meaning M$ have finally rolled out an SP to address a lot of issues. However that does not mean the hardware/software drivers and updates, vid cards and that sort of rot, for W10 are available as of yet.

If you're having problems looks like you're going to have to wait for the hardware/software suppliers to get caught up.
Or you go the route the OP went and have a dedicated computer. Newegg has refurbished HP machines. The slim form factor E8000 is what I have. That's 149.00usd but well worth it. Get the E8000 with 7 pro 64 bit.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

No flames here. What you say is the truth. I waited until Windows 10 Threshold 2 / "Service Pack 1" came out to finally upgrade my desktop. My brother's desktop has been stuck in boot loops with certain updates and it was a pain to even install when it first came out in July.

But here's been the icing on the cake. Microsoft's own products are not ready for Windows 10. That Surface Pro 4 in my video above, I'm returning it. Because I get Intel display driver crashes daily. They are just not up to par with Windows 10 yet... I am upgrading to an i7 unit with Iris graphics which might be more mature than the i5. I could also have a buggy unit, I have no clue, so I'm just returning it.

My desktop has been on Windows 10 for the past few days and seems OK, but my hardware is pretty old. It's a mixed bag. To be completely honest, it is not HH's fault that the Chroma GUI doesn't work in Windows 10; it is the USB driver they use. Until that company updates the driver or they find a workaround, they are pretty much screwed. It just doesn't want to install to Windows 10.

My solution is the best because it's free

Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the help johncc
icerat4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerat4 View Post
thanks for the help johncc
No problem. Nice to see you on here!

Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use hyper v are VMware workstation, build you a Windows 7 virtual machine and install chroma guy on it. Once you plug the chroma to the PC using the sub cable the virtual machine will see your chroma and you can update the firmware from there.

This is exactly how I updated my chroma's firmware.
dguilloryjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

VMWare Workstation is the best. It's also what I use primarily for work/my business. But my video uses virtualbox because VMWare WS is not free :/

Old 07-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been running the insider preview of windows 10 and it works perfectly with the Chroma GUI.
frankhpns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you elaborate what you mean by inside the preview window?
Thanks!
FE Boater Arcadia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2016, 03:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Chroma GUI works with Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607)!

Hi Guys,

since yesterday I have installed the new Windows 10 Update (Anniversary Update 1607).

Until yesterday Chroma GUI didn't connect to the UAV. Today I tested Chroma GUI again and it works now!

Kind Regards

Peter
FOTO-PETE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default unable to unpack the firmware

I got my Chroma to connect to w10 but when I went to update firmware, it disconnected from port and did not update, kept getting blinking red light saying port 3. I reverted back to w8 and got the GUI to connect but now I can not get the firmware to unpack. What program can unpack the firmware?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by cwal463; 08-07-2016 at 07:32 PM..
cwal463 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in