Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Building 800 RC Helicopter

Hey all,

I'm new to these forums, and a bit new to the RC Heli world. I was hoping to get some input on an RC helicopter I'm looking at building.

I’m looking at building an RC helicopter system for both personal and professional use. I have some RC helicopter and RC plane experience, but I have never built a system from the ground up. I’ve been reading through as much material as I can to get a good grasp of the hardware/components. The intention is to eventually use the helicopter with an autopilot. I don't expect to be doing too much in the way of acrobatics (for now). For the professional side of things, I expect fairly consistent flight speeds, and altitudes with flight following a gridded style pattern.

I’m building the system with flight stability and longer flight times in mind but also able to carry a payload. The payload weight will vary from a few extra grams up to a kilogram or two (if possible). I am thinking that the Triabolo 800 heli would fit my needs well.

From here, I’ve started to select the components to go onto it but I wanted to see if anyone with more experience/understanding than me had any suggestions. I’m not sure if my selection is flight time friendly, or if I’m providing enough power, torque, etc to everything.

Right now I’m thinking of the following:

RC Kit – Triabolo 800 ()
Transmitter – Futaba 18SZ
Receiver – Futaba R7008SB (comes with transmitter)
Tail Servo - Futaba BLS274SV S.Bus2 HV Programmable Heli Tail Servo
Swashplate Servo - Futaba BLS273SV S.Bus2 HV FBL Helicopter Servo
Motor (Brushless) – Kontronik Pyro 750
ESC - KOSMIK 200 HV (not sure on the best one here)
Gyro (heading hold) – Futaba GY701
Battery (high mAh for extra flight time) – Unsure on good manufacturer and what C rating to go with atm
BEC – I understand that a lot of ESC’s have a BEC built in (or similar), so might not be necessary.

Extras:
Battery monitor –

Any input would be very welcome. If see something I’m missing let me know. I look forward to pulling the trigger and making the purchase(s)!

Thanks,
DB
DinnertimeBandit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok you have an elephant on your plate.... and there are several different ways you can digest it. I would suggest you take one bite at the time....

First of all what will you do? Camera work? Air surveillance.... land measurements.... it all comes down to requirements and desires.

800 size does not necessarily mean that the platform will carry more weight for longer times. It is a fine balance with different setups. Currently gas powered helicopters are capable of longer flights since the extra batteries mean more take off weight.

Look up bergen rc helicopters. They focus on industry as well as hobby.

Read a bit about the 4 blade head systems. They require less head speed for the same lift capacity. Triablo is geared for 3D so it spins fast to perform maneuvers.
Scale rc helicopters focus more on what you are looking for. Multi blade systems with lower head speeds carrying more weight.

If you provide more info we can surely help

Gh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Gh. The suggestions are much appreciated. It sounds like I'll need to do some more investigating!

I've responded to your pm in more detail than here.

Thanks,
DB
DinnertimeBandit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in