Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > Protos 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Protos 380 tail grips.

Any know where to get aluminum grips to for the P380 tail? I cannot find that msh make any for the 380.
Anyone know of any other set doesn't have to be specifically P380 tail blades can be other maker manufacturer. I heard of people using Blade 360 tail grips on the 380 but I never tried.
My issue is with the plastic 380 tail grips for some reason seams like the bolt from the pitch slider is wearing out the grips bolt hole from use and I can no longer get it to hold tight, I'v went through 2 set so far and thinking about using glue on the bolt threads but I don't want to add any unnecessary weight and introduce vibrations from the added weight if there even is any.
Teampilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rather than look for Alu grips i would ask if any other pilots have experienced this.

It's not something I recall reading about before, and i wonder if there's a problem with your setup.

Are you having to use a lot of force to tighten the grips? What tail blades are you running?
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never heard of or seen this issue on the 380 with some thousands of flights. Not sure I really understand the problem either.

A lot of time was spent to dynamically balance and tune the 380 tail. I wouldn't mess with it.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you referring to this:

If so, take it easy screwing that in. Just seat it, don't try and torque it or in preflight keep turning it. It will turn anytime you try to force it. I feel that is what's going on.

I've built 5 of thes now all all are in service for my buddies problem free.
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
Are you referring to this:

If so, take it easy screwing that in. Just seat it, don't try and torque it or in preflight keep turning it. It will turn anytime you try to force it. I feel that is what's going on.

I've built 5 of thes now all all are in service for my buddies problem free.

Yes this is exactly the issue, Thanks for understanding.
Im not your normal pilot and fly down the field do a few flips and rolls and make a turn and it made my day.
I put this heli through continuous abuse on a daily basis and after 4-5 moths of this and occasional maintenance screwing/unscrewing the integrity of the threads are no longer there.
Nothing last forever and expicially a plastic part sooner or later it's going to fail and this is what I will avoid. Even if I had a million flights I won't go to one million and one and have a failure I can avoid.

It's no issue to purchase new plastic blade grips but according to OTS and thousands of flights I shouldn't have to. Well I don't think I'll take that chance. If Msh makes aluminum head grips, why not make tail grips as well ? Finding different grips from another model has nothing to do with changing the design of the 380. It all about having blade grips I don't have to worry to much about in flight. And without purchasing new plastic grips this is exactly what I have.
It's possible with continuous maintenance screwing / unscrewing this is the issue so using some CA on the threads would work but it more like a 1 shot deal. Do not recall if the manual recommends this.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So you haven't even flown a 380 and seen the issue but you preemptively want metal tail grips?

It's a major downgrade on this design. Takes a lot more time and expense to develop composite grips, make expensive molds and iterate on testing. I don't recommend the metal head grips either. They fly worse and are less durable..
Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
So you haven't even flown a 380 and seen the issue but you preemptively want metal tail grips?

It's a major downgrade on this design. Takes a lot more time and expense to develop composite grips, make expensive molds and iterate on testing. I don't recommend the metal head grips either. They fly worse and are less durable..
No it's more like I own a Proto's 380 and I'm looking for replacement grips other than plastic.
I'm not one of those trolls who just out of no where make a Issue out of nothing just to have something to talk about.
I remember reading about someone using Blade 360 grips but I haven't tried yet.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same tail grip design was used on Protos mini. With some changes with thrusts and spacing. Same design on the max.

Mini is 6 years in service and no issues with this.

Maybe a crash or you stripped the hole if it backed out. Or damaged or incorrect tail blades are used.

Never used it in all these years but a tiny amount of CA in the hole could work if you damaged your grips somehow.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure who knows ! at the moment I'm using Zeal 70mm I think. Let me add the tail is vibration free for months now, but I do from time to time like to disassemble the tail to clean a regresse the thrust bearings.
I believe from usual disassembly and threading and rethreading of the screws may play a part in this.
I do not recall ever questioning the design. So not sure where this is coming from.
EDIT: 68mm Zeal tail blades

Last edited by Teampilot; 03-23-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zeal tail blades can really be junk. Does the root even fit or are you forcing them in? It has a high tail ratio. Unlike the g380. Prob the root is too big. And 70 is not needed.

We spent a lot of time developing and testing the stock 68mm. Please try them.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

68mm zeal tail blades are same root as the P380 stock blades 2.6mm. No sanding or modifications needed they actually slip right in.
The stock 68mm proto blades that came with the p380 are bent like bananas, you can band them straight but after a few days they go right back to the banana form. I have hard ridiculous amount of vibrations with these blades and actually gave up on them I'v also use the 70mm switch blades 2.6mm and they work well too.
But the main reason for this thread is the screws and if CA is a good idea. Not really concerned about what tail blades I'm using.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teampilot View Post
68mm zeal tail blades are same root as the P380 stock blades 2.6mm. No sanding or modifications needed they actually slip right in.
The stock 68mm proto blades that came with the p380 are bent like bananas, you can band them straight but after a few days they go right back to the banana form. I have hard ridiculous amount of vibrations with these blades and actually gave up on them I'v also use the 70mm switch blades 2.6mm and they work well too.
But the main reason for this thread is the screws and if CA is a good idea. Not really concerned about what tail blades I'm using.
Do you have pics of your "bent" blades? I never seen this before. If they were defective out of the pack then I'm sure whoever you bought your kit from would replace them. I personally have never had an issue with the stock grips or blades, on my 380 or any of the other 4 at my local fields.

Its completely your choice if you want to try and run a part not manufactured and tested on this heli, i just cant understand why. When a part is engineered and tested over and over and over again theres a reason why the final design was decided on.

As far as the maintenance goes. how often are you pulling apart your grips? Even with regular maintenance and crashes i am still using the stock tail grips on mine. Not pointing fingers but y theory is that at one point or another these were over tightened. If it were me i would get a new set, carful not to over torque and run the stock 380 blades and see what happens.
Persistence and disposable income required
stevolution is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stock blades are great. Yes they are flexible but it flys well with them. Same as stock tail grips.

To answer your question I am not sure which other brand would fit. If you can't physically check another brand for dimensions you might just have to guesstimate which will work and likely modify the link from the grip to the slider.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would give the speed up tail pulley a try on stock blades. It works pretty darn well.

As for the inspections you're doing on the heli. How many flights do you log before you take it apart?
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in