Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Flydynamics
  • 1 Post By AllanNg
  • 1 Post By mike pound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NX4 - New side frame design

In 2020 I had my first crash in a decade when an IKON 2 decided to quit on me while flipping a few meters from the ground. lost all control of the machine on the cyclic for a few seconds, and regain cyclic control very close to the planet. I had just time to shut down the engine and stabilize the heli in a relatively stable inverted hover before impacting the ground. Crash wasn't bad, a few cracks on the canopy, some servo links and horns as well as the main blades.
A huge thanks to Shogun71 for doing his mechanical magic on my bent Hattori pipe and saving it, it looks as new!!!
I flew the rest of the season and realized, in fall, both side frames were cracked just below the engine mount.
Seeing the price asked by Gaui to replace a frame (65$ per side frame), the tightness under the canopy at the front and the fact that I use a "huge" multigov pro made me think twice about how to make the side frames better for my own use.
A quick scan of a frame, a few days of thinking and I had a first version of my upcoming "upgraded" side frames.

The needs were:
- More room at the front for multigov pro
- Break away canopy mounts
- Move switch area at the back of the frame
- More play on the center skid attachment to allow it to move in crash (purely theorical)
- More room to hide wiring
- Thicker carbon (2mm instead of Gaui 1.5mm)
- More material in a couple of area where bearing blocks/servo mounts are attached
- Frame strengthener in 2mm thickness
- Wider opening for the top of the tank silicone tubing (easier to install when sliding tank in position)
- Same frame length

Drawing the modifications in Illustrator was easy (Thanks Todd!). the main problem encountered was to have all the alignments perfectly exact. the scan of any object doesn't give a perfect carbon copy, some distortions happen and some measurement, at times difficult to measure accurately, required some work.
After a bunch of check and recheck I finally had the carbon elements ready to cut.
A CNC company provided me the 2mm carbon sheets and the CNC job once the files sent to them. I was a bit worried about all this work being ruined by an expensive quote and I was extremely surprised by the price asked. For 2 side frames, 2 frames strengthener, 1 governor plate and 2 break away pieces; all in 2mm carbon I paid the same price as 1 side frame from Gaui in 1.5mm carbon!
A few day after paying my order I received the carbon elements in sealed bags and the only unknown left was the alignments.
Since I couldn't measure accurately the position of the tail gear blocks, I had decided to use slightly oblong holes to have some play in case of distortion of the scan in this particular area (despite this area being relatively centered in the frame, better plan ahead than being sorry).
I was pleasantly surprised by the fixed alignments to be very accurate and the tail gear blocks required a wee bit of adjustment to be perfect (thanks to the slightly oblong holes).
Moving the canopy a bit forward allowed a LOT of extra room at the front mainly along the lateral axis.
Everything went on like with the Gaui side frames and I had plenty of room to hide the wiring between the FBL controller (BeastX) and the multigov pro.
I know the beastX has an integrated nitro governor but I never had results as good as the multigov pro with it, that's why I had decided to stick to the multigov pro.
This little work would not have been possible without my friend Todd who helped with some technical choices and with some drawing skills.
I'm happy to be fully autonomous with carbon parts on this little helicopter I really enjoy flying.
Since the machine reassembly I modified the drawing one last time to add more material under the fan shroud and the carter of the engine to increase the rigidity of this area in crash.
Some pics for those interested. Heli is not fully finished to wire due to winter laziness!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201228_195402065.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	900285   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201231_194518576.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	745.5 KB
ID:	900287   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201231_194926415.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	900289   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201231_194402789.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	900291   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201231_194220538.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	900293  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201224_203235500~2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	900295   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210116_184510715.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	900297  

Last edited by Flydynamics; 01-18-2021 at 10:58 AM..
Flydynamics is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow that's such a cool idea, good job!

I love seeing somebody take something and going "hey, I could make this, but better for my needs". This is what we need in the hobby.
1am7h30n3 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

deleted
Old 03-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great project, glad to see innovation/improvement on an old favorite.

My gripe with the airframe is that the bung is so close to the engine that you can't get in there at all. Looks like you improved that a little?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to say this..the nx5 is the best most enjoyable, most powerful 50-55 size engine heli out there! They need to make more like it. I love mine so much.
Wurger likes this.
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

This looks awesome. Great job. Is it possible to order another set? I would love to try this, as my skills increase so does the chance that my daily flier is going to crash.
Wurger likes this.
mike pound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2021, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike pound View Post
This looks awesome. Great job. Is it possible to order another set? I would love to try this, as my skills increase so does the chance that my daily flier is going to crash.
Send me your email via PM I'll send you the files - NON COMMERCIAL USE ONLY of course.

Last edited by Flydynamics; 08-07-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Flydynamics is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in