Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters - Tandem

Multi Rotor Helicopters - Tandem Multi Rotor Helicopters - Tandem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Larry,

Can you list the equipment our are going with. I'm getting ready to start ordering my stuff and would like to get other peoples opinions on these before I decide.

Mike
hoot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with mostly what Tom recommends

the scorpion 2221 -10 V2 motor ,did go with V2 as I read somewhere the V1 had problems with the bearings ?
hitec 5085 MG servos
hyperion G3 4S-2200 batteries , have had a lot of good luck with these in larger sizes.
The only thing I did different is the ESC . I went with Castle ,, but chose their ICE LITE 50 and I think this was not available at the time Tom started designing this ,,, as he was not aware of it being able to handle 4S when I talked to him

It actually will handle up to 6S batteries .. it is cheaper by 38.00 or so and weighs 8 grs less and has a 5amp BEC instead of just a 3 amp that the pheniox 45 has ...so this gives a little redundant power for the servos
The 50 also has the data logging ability that sounds good .

There is probably something that I have missed on the lite 50 that won't work out ... but Tom said he would think the V should fly right out of the box with using this equipment ... You won't have to play with the controller settings ... just load his settings tweak the direction ,, centers and such and go fly and have fun .

when you use different stuff that he has not tested ... he can't help you if you have trouble .... We run into this at Bergen R/C helicopters all the time and then the guy gets made at you cause you can't trouble shoot his bird over the phone or internet !!!!

This is something I learned early on .... stick to the companies suggestions and build .... at least the first time ,,then you have a bench mark to go ahead and try to improve it or just play around and do things different for the fun of it .

Hope this helps some .

I also found really good prices on the scorpion motor,cc lite 50 and hyperion batteries at R/C dude Hobbies out of Milwaukie , OR and very fast shipping .
My servos came from an Todd's models 37.99 instead of the 46.99 of most and I have had good luck with him shipping pretty good .
v22chap is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Larry. Did you notice the ICE Lite 50 packaging? It says not for heli. There is conflicting data. Castle website recommends the Lite 50 for 450 size helis but the package says not for helis. I called Castle today an was told I should be good with 3S. The problem is heating. It needs good airflow. I'm wondering if the full ICE 50 with the larger heat sinks will fit under the nacelle?

I hate to continue to sound a little negative on things but these are things I have found out just in the last two days.

On the servos. I do have a little concern with the 5085's. Early on when they first came out there were a bunch of them that smoked. I lost a couple and I talked to others that did also. I haven't heard about it in a year so maybe that was resolved. I was using them on my 450 helis. I switched back to the indestructible 65mg's.

This is why I asked what you were using. I may go with the same. I'm just generating some dialog.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well dang .. I had a feeling that they was not going to be enough !!! But the website didn't say nothing bad ,,, and I didn't see the packaging even after you said something about it .... until I moved the ESC out of the packaging and there it was under the place where it sets in the packaging ...
And I know the techs at CC well enough that even if it was just one of them saying don't .... I wouldn't .... these will be going back .... Thanks for the dialog and heads up ... maybe this will help others that fall into the same trap .

I will do some research on the HV 50 and see if it will fit (pretty sure it will ,but a phone call wouldn't hurt ) ... only 4 more gr shouldn't kill us and with the nacelle covering things .there maybe extra heat ... but Tom said he has flown the production bird a lot already and should have seen any problems with nacelle covers making things hotter .

As far as the servos ... we are stuck with two right off the bat in the conversion servos ,,, so I guess the cyclic servos will have to do for now ....

Did your 5085's burn doing 3- D flying or just normal type flying ???
Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually two smoked after a light crash. They worked after the crash but then burned up after I rebuilt and started setting the heli back up. I have two sets of 65mg's that have been crashed and crashed and crashed again. They are still tight and going strong.

There are reports of 5085's smoking on first power on brand new out of the box.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now you are scaring me This is one thing I hate ... crashing because something went bad ... don't mind it if I dumb thumb it ... but equipment going bad ,,at the price we pay ,, makes me mad
just doing research and it looks like the ice 50 with heatsink is only larger in length by .45 " and taller by .4 " and not as wide by .42" Seems like this should work as you can see in the pictures that it mounts under the mechanics in a wide open area and the nacelle would go way above the motor / gearing ...so it should have enough head room ... will talk to Tom and try to make up a picture of the space .
Larry
Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

finally found a pix that I could use ... you see the red circle is where the ESC mounts and the red outline of the nacelle . Looks to me like just 3/8 in length to 1/2 " deeper , should not hurt a thing when fitting in the nacelle .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV nacelle.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	180218  
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea I think I'm going with the ICE 50.... not the lite.

I haven't decided on the servos or the gyros yet.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really like the data logging being in the 50 ,,, don't really mind paying the extra for the 45 ... but that is old tech stuff to start out with ... might as well go higher tech , get more for the less money . and the extra cooling of the fins will surely help
Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Here's the list from the site.

V22 Osprey ARF - 7 channel outdoor TILT ROTOR VTOL:

• including RM-5085MG conversion servos
  • V22 controller
  • full scale version with complete mechanics
  • spinners
  • full FRP painted and decaled scale parts
  • Electronic wiring
  • Windows PC programming software
  • USB PC interface
  • user manual
  • accessories included
Specifications (BOLD marked items are included):
Main Motors: 2x 2800KV 2222 brushless outrunner
ESC: 2x 40A brushless HV with governor mode
Battery: 2x 4S1P 2200mAh 30C LIPO
Gyro: 3x AVCS – Heading Hold Gyro
Transmitter: 7ch digital, 90° swashplate program, proportional aux channel for tilt
Rotor diameter: 25.3 in / 645mm Length: 38.6 in / 980mm
Height: helicopter: 12.6in / 320mm, airplane: 7.1in / 180mm
Weight: standard profile version 5.5lbs / 2.5kg take off weight
Servo: 4x Rotormast 5085MG cyclic, 2x Rotormast 5085MG tilt
Controller: Rotormast V-22 controller
Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for posting that and making me read it again.... as I just noticed ... he wants us using a 40 "HV " ,,,, I hadn't noticed the HV part before ,,, and was comparing it to the pheniox 45 standard !!!! am I bad ,,, or just too old to see the text
Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea but in the what's needed page he says Castle Creations 45. I don't think we need an HV as the ICE 50 can more than handle the 4S.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes ,, as that is what he said about the lite .... I am going to shoot him another email ... have not been able to hook up by phone ... probably out of town or something .
I would like to know for sure this time what he is or is not using ,,, if it is just a standard 45 ,,then the 50 should be fine .
Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My ICE's are on the way.
Batteries are too.

Still need to decide on servos and gyros.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

He is using the standard 45 with a BEC and said he would change the listed parts so no one else gets confused ... as the HV was suppose to mean the batteries ... he is using 35 C 4 S Turnigy 2200 MAH (which in my book still are not HV == but then when you are running 2- 6 S 6500 MAH on one bird it would look like normal voltage ).
My Ice 50's are on the way also
Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hope technical support will be better once they get some breathing room. I haven't been able to get questions answered.

So far here is where I am...

Bought:

(2 )Castle ICE50 ESC's
(4) Blue LiPo 4-Cell 2200mAh 2200mAh-4S1P

To Buy:

Either HS-85MG's or HS-5085MG's. Is the digital one important. I didn't have good luck with a set of HS-5065's on a Trex450 a while back.

What gyros ? Ones that have the external gain settings on the face of the gyro like the 401?
The reason I ask is the newer ones, gain is changed from the radio or external programmer/laptop. You would need three channels for the three gyros? Or does the controller handle it some way?

Mike Hrischuk Order #6

Last edited by hoot; 09-20-2010 at 10:25 AM..
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hoot
I hope you had a typo ... he suggest 5085's not 5065's ,, if you are thinking of 5065's then maybe that is the solution .

Why
85' torque is 50 at 4.8 .. dual ball bearings ,17 secs. speed

65 's are 22 at 4.8 ,, top bearing and karbonite gears ,.14 sec speed
So if you do it may throw off his contorller calculations and it may not transition well ... this would be my only worry . But as far as needing the digital for the ECCPM ,,, it is not needed as it is all mechanical from the servo to the swash and mixing is done in the controller .

Gyro's ,, I believe they are fine tuned in the controller program for their gain settings ....

He must be packing ,,,as I to am getting no responce to emails either

I would go with the 401's as that is what his program is written for ...here again if you use something different ,,he can't help you trouble shoot it if you are having problems .... even though the program can be changed to handle anything ... it might take a long time to find the right combination .
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea I fixed the typo. Meant 85's.

On the gyros, website says in two different places

Gyro: 3x AVCS – Heading Hold Gyro
3 gyros, high quality SMM, like 401 or similar

That's a lot of choices.

How are we supposed to know anything different? I'm starting to sound like I'm complaining. I think I'll wait till I receive it and wait till all of the questions get answered without having to go by second hand info. I do appreciate all of your help. Keep it coming!

Mike
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea ,, it makes it hard being a new kit builder as he don't have the advantage of already testing many setups . There are a lot of 401 like gyro's out there ,,but I suspect that any of them with the " high quaility" SMM technology will work ... but might need different settings in the control unit to make it fly smooth ... I was just trying to say it should fly right the first time if a guy went with all his recommendations .... but I also know that is not true ... as no two birds setup with the same equipment ,by the same guy will ever fly the same .... I had a friend that flew FAI with MA stuff and we had this experience ...we worked many hours at the field together trying to get them to feel the same and they wouldn't ,, he even tried to get it so he didn't have to change tx programs on the two ... and that really didn't work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in