Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hoping for a little guidance, please.

I am a heli/plane pilot with a solid skill set and am thinking that I need to give FPV racing a go. A few of the members at the club are thinking about getting a little racing league started and I think it would be a blast. I had tried my hand at FPV ~2 years ago, but had a bad experience with faulty Dom V2's and crippling video interference. I returned everything and the experience left a bad taste in my mouth, but I figure I should give it another whirl.

With the new Transport Canada Regs, I'm thinking aiming to be under the 250g mark would be ideal, so am looking at 130-150 size quads.

I am an avid sim user, and can fly FPV in the sim, (just need to dust off my skills), so will likely be able to skip a "trainer" quad and get a racer working for me rather quickly.

I use a Jeti radio and was thinking the Immersion 150 seems to be a solid contender. Seems that this would work with XBus which I believe in Jeti speak is UDI, so could use a Jeti rx and not have to use my Spektrum radio. Are there other equivalent <250g quads I should be looking at or is this my best option?

Lastly, is the camera adjustable to be pointing directly forward to start off, or is there a bit of an angle at it's lowest setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow I actually just sat down and read about this thing for the first time. It looks really well built compared to the old vortex. The old vortex was good but so so fragile....

anyways to your questions...

as far as prebuilt goes a lot of the smaller stuff is available on banggod but not many companies build them and sell them as that market is hard to nail down. I know some like Catalyst Machine works offer a building service and frankly their little 4R is pretty freaking sweet. Right at 200g on the heavy side.

As to the camera tilt... some of the pics Ive see have it tilted straight and some have it tilted back so I wanna say yes. I did as my buddy who has one and he will get back to me. The camera mount looks like it should but I dont see adjustment holes on the screws.

if you are looking to go a more custom route check out rotorbuilds.com to get some ideas. really a great website for seeing complete builds and build lists all together.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

he just got back to me and says that it tilts but not much. He also said stock camera quality is subpar and he had to replace it for something better
Old 04-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Woody View Post
Wow I actually just sat down and read about this thing for the first time. It looks really well built compared to the old vortex. The old vortex was good but so so fragile....

anyways to your questions...

as far as prebuilt goes a lot of the smaller stuff is available on banggod but not many companies build them and sell them as that market is hard to nail down. I know some like Catalyst Machine works offer a building service and frankly their little 4R is pretty freaking sweet. Right at 200g on the heavy side.

As to the camera tilt... some of the pics Ive see have it tilted straight and some have it tilted back so I wanna say yes. I did as my buddy who has one and he will get back to me. The camera mount looks like it should but I dont see adjustment holes on the screws.

if you are looking to go a more custom route check out rotorbuilds.com to get some ideas. really a great website for seeing complete builds and build lists all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Woody View Post
he just got back to me and says that it tilts but not much. He also said stock camera quality is subpar and he had to replace it for something better
Thanks for responding. Your friend has the current version? Did he say what camera he upgraded to?

I'll check out the Catalyst Machineworks model you recommended. I'm capable of building one, but after my last FPV experience, I don't want to end up in a troubleshooting situation straight away. I want to really like this, but still have a bitter taste in my mouth so a smooth re-entry would go a long way and I'm sure I'd end up building one from scratch soon enough afterwards.

I was browsing through the rotorbuilds.com site. Pretty cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in