Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best pilot in your club? Bummed?

I joined a club a few months back and all it all it was an excellent decision. I've met some fantastic people who share my passion for the hobby in one way or another and we've had a lot of fun. But as the weeks passed folks commented on my flying and I watched other heli pilots fly I began to realize that even though I've been in the hobby for less than a year I'm by far and away the best heli pilot in my club.

At first I thought this was a good thing because I've been able to help many a planker on his way to heli freedom.... and hey, it's fun to show off. But the big downside, of course, is that I have no one to learn from

Before anyone thinks I'm trying to establish myself as a great pilot let me assure you that I am not. Sure, I can do the normal stuff without any trouble... big air flips, ff rolls, tick tocks, infinite rainbows, etc, but my vids pale in comparison to what I've seen on this site.

But what stuck me today was a guy telling me that my comments by his side while he was flying was the most help to his progression that he's had in months. I'm just wishing for the same.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
JR X9503 2.4Ghz Turnigy 9X with Dragonlink
Manzooka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm the only flyer in my "club".lol....

I'm definitely the best

I've never seen another heli fly other than mine.
McKrackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Honestly, I have only been at it for 1yr (June), and I can do a handful of maneuvers: Tic Tocs both Aileron and Elevator (Alot better than the former), Continuous Piro Flips (Single Stir, still trying to nail stationary double stirs on the sim cleaner), Funnels both inverted and upright, rolls, tumbles and some simple flying. I learned every one of those maneuvers on my own, with zero help from anyone except Phoenix sim (countless hours) and some tutorial video's here on HF (Especially RaZa's ).

I honestly don't think flying with others ultimately progresses your flying, unless you are really stumped about what controls are needed to do it. There are tons of helpful video's on HF, and a whole forum section dedicated to it. Getting the help from a better pilot is always a good thing and gives you that "courage" to step out of your personal boundries, but honestly if you set your mind to it and practice, you can be just as good as alot of pilot's here on HF. Just don't expect youself to be smacking 3D in less than a years time.

Practice alot, and don't make up excuses on why you are not as good as you think you should be. Use it as motivation to progress, and I promise you, you will!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Spunjah. Self taught, about 1.4years in. Learned from videos and analyzing recordings of my sim time and flights.

RF and "how to" videos for the most part. Joined the club, but didn't go all out immediately. I wanted to gauge what I was dealing with first. A couple of months down the road though I may end up being the second best. Out of maybe 15 heli guys...there's one dude who's flat out scary good. As in Szabo sort of good Older guy though and you'd never expect it. No sponsorship or anything, just likes his helis.

Few times I've gone to fun flies some pilots I've noticed will get stuck in sort of a tail in 3d mode. Whenever I get that "uneasy" feeling about an orientation/move I've always been determined to eliminate it. Took more time, but the end result is I can go smack the 600 and not worry about if I'm going to booger it up from a silly mistake.

I do enjoy helping folks out, but don't make a big deal of it. Usually just show up, fly, say hi to the guys, etc. If someone asks or looks like they're genuinely having a problem I'll go over and ask about it to see whats up.

Granted it appears that I'm definitely the one most likely to modify helis or bring new tech into the game.

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Its good you recognize your incompetence. It sucks to think youre great and never progress beyond that.
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano View Post
Its good you recognize your incompetence.
Funny... my wife tells me this all the time.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no one better than me since I am the only member in my club.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My situation is reversed
The club I fly at ,there are literally some of the top pilots in the Southern region ,
So when I was ecstatic July 4th to do my first sustained inverted honer and was patted on the back and given many praises and congratulations because I fly with some really great people
Then watch a guy after that doing piro flips, tick toc's , pirouetting loops etc. all within a very small controlled area with a 700 size bird
Going to my club is like going to a fun-fly,I literally do not need to go to fun-fly's to see the amazing stuff
Don't misunderstand though , I am absolutely thrilled with now doing inverted, and really have a benefit of such good flyers to help and push me along , keeps me from getting too lazy and stuchk in a comfort zone.
But was sure awkward at first when all I could do is forward flight and could not even hover nose in
So enjoy being TOP DOG for now,and if you are old like me , the kids will pass you up in a few months after just barely learning
Heli,Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

To the OP, maybe consider traveling to some fun flys at other clubs.

To Heli Ed, they may be amazing pilots now but they all went through the excitement of first sustained inverted hover too which is why they are giving you the pat on the back.
gothicbunny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

gothicbunny
They got the biggest kick out of me laughing and giggling like a school girl with excitement
They all said they remembered when they made huge strides and how much joy it brought them and could totally relate to me being sooo excited
I really do have some awesome people where I fly ,
To the OP ,
I forgot to tell you, that I can't even believe that I have people asking me for help and such.I feel so inadequate for sure , but am enjoying passing along what little I have learned so far
I agree with gothicbunny , may be worth a travel a few times to be around some advanced pilots
Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Ed, every time I see you fly you are improving. I'm glad to be in the same club with you and you are an awesome guy to be around, always quick to jump in and help another pilot if they need it.

One thing I have noticed where we fly, is that no matter how skilled a pilot is, we always have our peers supporting us and helping in any way possible to move us in the direction we want to strive to meet. It isn't about competition or who is the better pilot, it is about helping each other reach our individual goals.

On a side note... Now that I have my 700 governed down to a reasonable headspeed, would ya'll quit running for the fence when I spool up
rovpilot26 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovpilot26 View Post
Ed, every time I see you fly you are improving. I'm glad to be in the same club with you and you are an awesome guy to be around, always quick to jump in and help another pilot if they need it.

One thing I have noticed where we fly, is that no matter how skilled a pilot is, we always have our peers supporting us and helping in any way possible to move us in the direction we want to strive to meet. It isn't about competition or who is the better pilot, it is about helping each other reach our individual goals.

On a side note... Now that I have my 700 governed down to a reasonable headspeed, would ya'll quit running for the fence when I spool up
Brian am at your kind words
What is reasonable head speed to you now ?? ,, (Less than warp 2 Scottie )
Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

With you, John, Mark, and Rob running for cover every time I spool up... It takes the fun out of "Hey ya'll watch this!"

Just sayin'
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If I'm not mistaken, didn't you tell me not too long ago that my 700's feathering shaft really didn't like me much.

I am glad to be in a club where everyone looks out for each other and it's more like a family (although sometimes dysfunctional) and the guys push each other to grow instead of competing to be "top dog"

To the OP, even guys who don't fly at the same level that you are at can help and contribute to your growth. Don't make the mistake of believing you can't learn from someone who doesn't fly the same way that you do. Everyone learns at a pace that they are comfortable with, and words of encouragement do wonders for helping someone grow with their flying.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "small club"

It's just me and my buddy pictured in my club and I can outfly him any day of the week. He isn't much of a partner - falls asleep at the drop of a hat - never know where to find him - and he once drug my MXPX away and hid it under the couch! ( to chew on at a more convenient time I assume )

He's been at it over two years and has never progressed beyond "mall helis".... He is adept at climbing tall trees and knocking misguided helis back down to earth though....

Me - I've been at it for over two years as well and most anyone that can stand erect and hold a radio can teach me something! Nobody can teach me to have more fun at it though as I have that mastered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01147.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	332352   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01163.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	332353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01145.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	332354  

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
blade-man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Simply love cats !!!!......

To the original post starter....... , as a plank flyer for more than 30 yrs , oreintation come to me as second nature , for me in heli's to do 3D is "naturall"
Try some precision flying , then you will know ..... , you are not the "Cats wiskers"

BTW she look to me to be a Polydactyl cat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat

Last edited by burntclutch; 07-15-2012 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: more info
burntclutch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntclutch View Post
Try some precision flying , then you will know ..... , you are not the "Cats wiskers"
I think you missed the point of my post. I'm already well aware of how much of a beginner I am.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Cool

" I began to realize that even though I've been in the hobby for less than a year I'm by far and away the best heli pilot in my club. "

Pink Floyd said it ...... ( and everyday the papperboy bring more)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntclutch View Post
"

Pink Floyd said it ...... ( and everyday the papperboy bring more)
Again, point was missed. I'm not saying I'm a good pilot by any stretch. Only saying that my club is pretty much a plank club and those who do fly helis only do so casually and don't have all that much interest in advancing beyond the basics. I'm just bummed I don't have anyone to learn from in person. Sheesh folks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in