Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Clutch issues

Not sure if this is the right place to post - but in reading over on the RR board - I have heard there are some clutch/clutch liner reliability problems. Guys either breaking or burning up clutch.

I am in the market for a 700, but wanted to know what the story with this is?? Or anything else one should know before buying this bird,

Thanks - much appreciated,
Jeff
buster1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have had no problems with mine. I think most that are having problems are due to the clutch being out of balance, clutch shoes breaking off (I'd bet due to alignment issues), clutch liners wearing down prematurely and/or clutch liners being too thin.

I'm no expert heli mechanic... but during the build, check your clutch and liner carefully. Your clutch should fit just barely inside the clutch bell and liner meaning that you have enough liner. At that point also, you should be able to see if one clutch shoe is bent a little too far in or out.

Also... Align has stated that some frames may have been drilled incorrectly leading to improper gear mesh. As a fix, re-drill the clutch block holes allowing the to builder to move that block back or forward as needed. I would think you'd just elongate the holes by a hair to get better gear mesh and center the clutch bell over the clutch if need be.
X9303
HELINHAWAII is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 04:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Two clutches broken. I dialed indicated clutch and replaced the bell since that was not running true, didnt help..

The clutch is just too soft.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My clutch disintegrated on about the 4th flight but no problems in the subsequent 30 and I have seen one go misaligned - I agree with Mr Mel - the shoes are just too soft
Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's definately an issue with the clutch itself. I have a brand new one that I just installed and I can squeeze the shoes together with my fingers. Hopefully Quick UK or Kasama can offer a solution since Align seems happy to keep selling $20 clutches every 20 or 30 flights.
Gscott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

yes, they seem happy doing that,
I am surpised thought - so many top guys flying this heli. - I guess they have someone changing the clutches for them,
The 700 looks like a great heli., but there are just too many people mentioning they have clutch problems - this is obviously a real issue.
I will wait for a while and see if they come up with a fix before I get one,
Thanks for info.,
Jeff
Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster1 View Post
yes, they seem happy doing that,
I am surpised thought - so many top guys flying this heli. - I guess they have someone changing the clutches for them,
The 700 looks like a great heli., but there are just too many people mentioning they have clutch problems - this is obviously a real issue.
I will wait for a while and see if they come up with a fix before I get one,
Thanks for info.,
Jeff
Buster1,

What you have to remember too is that there is alot more people that haven't had issues with their clutches. The online forums are a great resource of information, but they seem to make a problem more widespeed than it is. However, I'm not saying there is not a problem.

I have 2 Trex 700's. One has over 140 flights with no issues (that kit was from a early batch), and the other has 40 or so flights with no issues with the clutch either (that kit was from the 3rd batch).

Thanks.
tcast305 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Well, that is good to hear. I am just doing some research, not trying to bash the 700 - I really want to buy one!
I just hate taking them apart, unless for routine maintenance or the dreaded crash,
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

tcast,

The problem with that analogy (it's posted all the time whenever there is a problem) is only a small fraction of 700 owners post online. If the info posted on RR is to be believed then over 1000 700n's have been sold yet the "owners thread" is just over 150. So if 150 active 700n users are actually posting online then roughly 10% are having clutch issues. That's way too many. Also, many who have had issues with their clutches assume it was something they did and was normal. Read some of the threads and notice how many will say "my clutch lasted 20 flights but I assumed it was because of my 1 hotstart".

The clutch material is too soft. No question about it. If you want to see for yourself go to your LHS and squeeze the 700 clutch. You can almost touch the shoes it's so soft. Now go try this on a Raptor, Hirobo, or JR clutch.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gscott,

I understand what you are saying, but people post more when they have problems that when everything is good. I been keeping up on RR topic on the clutch issue, I counted 9 people and thats including the "people at their field".

I haven't picked up a replacement clutch yet so I can't comment on how soft it is. Maybe a bad batch of clutches? We just went thru with that with the ball links.

Thanks.
tcast305 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

As always it's a balance of price vs quality - Align offer a good product at cut price - MA offer a superb product but at twice the cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030132.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	66734  
Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just burned out my clutch and am about to replace the clutch liner.. Does everyone just CA the new liner in place or is there a different way to get this replaced?
Stricker22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 02:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

Many people have used CA or 5 min epoxy - I like long setting epoxy as it seems less heat labile than the shorter setting stuff. JBWeld also got a following.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

JB weld quick is good if you're in a hurry.
4cyclic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyclic View Post
JB weld quick is good if you're in a hurry.
Interesting. I've always found JB weld to be of a slow-setting formula, taking at least 24 hours to completely cure. Has your experience been different?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can testify to 30 minute epoxy gives it plenty of time to setup and clean off a bit don't be in a hurry. I will take mine out and have a look I like working on it anyway.

What are the signs of a clutch failing in the air? I have never had the pleasure. Only electric motors with the pinion slipping. I would assume it to be like that with the motor going high rpm.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Luckily both of mine failed on the ground. What I noticed is the clutch will start grabbing very hard at idle. On my first one it was grabbing so bad the engine would start backward.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
Interesting. I've always found JB weld to be of a slow-setting formula, taking at least 24 hours to completely cure. Has your experience been different?
JB Weld regular and JB Weld Kwik, about 60 minutes instead of 12-24 hours.
4cyclic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyclic View Post
JB Weld regular and JB Weld Kwik, about 60 minutes instead of 12-24 hours.
Ah, cool. I wasn't familiar with the "quick" flavor.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine broke after 21 flights.
djspark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in