Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #381 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sweet. Thanks
FlyawayClyde is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #382 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ben?
Or any of us who have a new HH frameset. Has any one mounted up a set of DS821s to the 120 mounts?
I'm having a a bit of a time fitting mine in.
I can mount the servos with out any rubber grommets.
Its the fit between the case and the elevator servo.
The DS821s are to tall I think

Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #383 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hi Erik

The HH frame was designed around the DS821's so they definitely fit!
However i dont use any rubber grommets when i mount servos.

Try moving your elevator servo back in the slot a little

I will try and post some pictures of my DS821's installed a little later when i get home this evening

There will only be a small gap between the servos but thats all you need.

Cheers

Ben
Head Hunter Heli's
Borneoben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #384 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok you say they fit. I see they do without the grommetts, Though the risk of damaged gears makes me reluctant to do that.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #385 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the rubber grommets aren't going to save the gears.. if you crash, there's a VERY good chance of stripping servo gears.. that is the downside to direct to swash.. plus you WANT a very stiff secure mount for direct to swash.. that will take any unwanted slop out of the swash movement
mysticmead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #386 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ive never mounted Cyclic sevos on rubber gromets as it leaves you with a mushy feeling to the controls.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #387 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok two very good reason not to use grommets. I will mount them up then. I just allway thought you had two, and no one ever told me not to, sooooooo.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #388 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

gromets were very much needed with recips.....lots of vibes....the elec are so smooth and you don't want any play in a heli control system.

Two retired Gaui 550 hurricanes (Sold)
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #389 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ben , JB did the tsunomi hit your islands? I hope not ?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #390 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the thought Erik but we are pretty far from all that stuff.

We are very well protected fro most of those natural disaster type things as we are in th emiddel of the Pacific ring of fire. A long way away from any type seismic activity that could cause Tsunami's.

We have had some very high winds though and lots of tree were blown down around town recently but that all seems to have stopped now.

Thanks again

Ben
Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #391 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah what mike and mystic said
rubber grommets are mainly for use on nitro/gas powered helis because they help dampen the vibrations that can transmit through the frame into the servos themselves.

i'm using ds610s on mine, which are a bit oversized, and i decided to use the grommets on the aileron servos for mounting purposes... i did screw those suckers on pretty tight tho

on a side note, i basically finished the build, and as i was tightening up my tail boom clamps i accidentally put a big fat crack in my cf boom. so... now i'm going to have to rummage up an old aluminium one which i hope is not bent... can't really remember right now cause all i want to do is fly this thing!!

once i got the servos installed (which was probly the hardest part although not any harder than other helis i've built) everything else went like a breeze. haven't completely done up the head yet but so far i haven't been able to find any interactions
bobbybe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #392 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bobbye, you're back

Have they let you out on parole again
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #393 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good, good. I'am glad there has been no loss of life there. And my Prayers go out to those who have lost someone?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #394 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Hey Bobbye, you're back

Have they let you out on parole again
actually i passed my psych eval and the hospital let me out

so here's a bit of good news:

THE BUILD IS DONE!!!!

i've spent the last couple of days working on it and i'm glad to say that the build went smooth and i am ready to test fly this puppy!!!!

i was amazed at how easy it was to set up the head with ben's frames. i had to use some subtrim, but it was way less than i'm used to using in order to get the 90 degree angle between servo arm and link while at midstick and 0 pitch. once i got it all trimmed up, i noticed a couple of things:
1) in order to get +-10 degrees of pitch, i had to increase my pitch swash mix from 50% to 70% (and all is well- no binding whatsoever)
2) when i move the pitch stick up and down the paddles stay DEAD STILL
even on my old hurri, the paddles themselves would fluctuate some, to the point where i had to adjust the endpoints of the servo travel in order to reduce the effects of tipping when i punched out in flight. i have the feeling this wont be a problem with this setup as i expect it had something to do with slop in the push-pull linkages

i'll be flying it as soon as the weather gets a bit better, and after i'm done with that i'll write up a full report, including pics and descriptions of all mods/adjustments, build notes, flight characteristics, etc... i took like 50 pics so i expect it'll be long, boring, and hopefully helpful to the mounds of people that are gonna be flying these things

am i the first one that's done? hows your build going clyde?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #395 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My bulid is going just a little slower than yours I guess, as I had to order some bearings that I didnt realize I didnt have. Well now I have the frame built-up and the servos are installed now. I just need to put the boom back on and program the head. I ought to be able to spin it up on sunday if all goes well around here ( meaning my Wife doesnt find a honey do for me).

Erik
Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #396 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybe View Post
so here's a bit of good news:

THE BUILD IS DONE!!!!

i've spent the last couple of days working on it and i'm glad to say that the build went smooth and i am ready to test fly this puppy!!!!

i was amazed at how easy it was to set up the head with ben's frames. i had to use some subtrim, but it was way less than i'm used to using in order to get the 90 degree angle between servo arm and link while at midstick and 0 pitch. once i got it all trimmed up, i noticed a couple of things:
1) in order to get +-10 degrees of pitch, i had to increase my pitch swash mix from 50% to 70% (and all is well- no binding whatsoever)
2) when i move the pitch stick up and down the paddles stay DEAD STILL
even on my old hurri, the paddles themselves would fluctuate some, to the point where i had to adjust the endpoints of the servo travel in order to reduce the effects of tipping when i punched out in flight. i have the feeling this wont be a problem with this setup as i expect it had something to do with slop in the push-pull linkages

i'll be flying it as soon as the weather gets a bit better, and after i'm done with that i'll write up a full report, including pics and descriptions of all mods/adjustments, build notes, flight characteristics, etc... i took like 50 pics so i expect it'll be long, boring, and hopefully helpful to the mounds of people that are gonna be flying these things

am i the first one that's done? hows your build going clyde?

Glad to hear it!!!

I am soooo looking forward to your build review mate, i get a reall kick out of seeing my frames sets being built by others. As long as its all going well of course!
Make sure you get your first few flights on video to share with us.

Cheers mate
Ben
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #397 (permalink)
Registered Users

should be able to take my first flight tomorrow if the weather holds up that is!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #398 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzer View Post
Glad to hear it!!!

I am soooo looking forward to your build review mate, i get a reall kick out of seeing my frames sets being built by others. As long as its all going well of course!
Make sure you get your first few flights on video to share with us.

Cheers mate
Ben
what about your "Big Balls" ?....don't you like to see people using your balls...

I think your Big Balls are great....and I love using them....my heli has never been so quiet....has always had squeaks..(the OW bearings)...my one way shafr Loves your big balls !!!

Hail to Wazzers Big balls.....and easy mesh motor mount with X brace....

Two retired Gaui 550 hurricanes (Sold)
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #399 (permalink)
Registered Users

so i took my first flight today but it was blowing about 15-20 so it was actually really hard to gauge... especially since i could hardly keep it still.

regardless, i flew the heli suuuper tough and nothing snapped or broke on the first lipo which is definitely good news!

one thing i noticed- the swash mix needs to be increased by around 15% all around (even on the aileron/elevator servos) which i believe has everything to do with the direct to swash. i actually expect this may give more presicion but i could be mistaken. it makes sense though if you think about having more servo through for the same amount of movement... something about increased resolution? somebody must know about these things better than me.

i was definitely loving the frame though for that one batt but like i said i didn't really get to fly it with any precision as it was getting blown all over the place and was the first flight, meaning i'm going to go through the head again with a fine tuned comb.

on the second flight i did notice a left/right wobble... however, it seems like there's something wrong with my head. if you look at the heli from above, it seems like the angle between the flybar and the main blade holders is NOT at 90 degrees. it's an all-metal head and i may have done something to it during the build.... anyone know what could be causing this twisting??? i noticed it before flying today but it didn't seem to effect the heli till the 2nd flight.

once i get the head dialed in and this problem fixed i'll give a real flight and report back. i'm also seeing a bit of drifting but my ball links seem a little loose (they have too much slop between the gaui links and the trex600 balls so i may go buy some 600 links too)

trim-wise- the blades were perfectly in track and the heli sounded suuuper good! no more squeaking wooohoooo
Old 10-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #400 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I guess I'll chime in here as well. I have just finshed my build, tied everything down. And fitted the canopy on just to make sure all is well and it looks great.
Now I will admit it weighs more than my Redi-Heli CHP 120* Framed bird, But that is not a fair compairision since the CHP heli use's Mini servos and I do think it uses less Carbon.
Tomorrow morning I will program the head. I'm going to bed now as I was up until 3 last night and putting this bird back together so I can fly Her this weekend. Cho'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in