Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #181 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

sjm180 pinions work just fine.... 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16.. working on a setup with 3s as we speak...
bpd964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a 3S setup now, but it's in a TREX 250

I'll reiterate, Gaui should have pinions for 3S in the kit (and as spares), and not leave it's customers to figure it out on their own.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #183 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I know.. similar to the trex 250 tail issue.. oops.. my bad..

Only kidding.. it's good to laugh every once in a while..

Didn't mean to say that.. I meant, the trex 500 static issue...hmmmm

Not a pissing match.. lets get back to the issue at hand.

Last edited by bpd964; 01-10-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

good heli, overzealous crowd. i just purchased a t-rex 250. thinkin about purchasing a gaui 200. some serious quality in such a small heli. i think align was pretty quick to address the problems with the tail.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd964 View Post
I know.. similar to the trex 250 tail issue.. oops.. my bad..
It took Align less time to solve the 250's tail problem than it did for Gaui to solve the 200's soft tail shaft problem... for that is the reason why I bought a 250, because Gaui dropped the ball.

While you are working on a 3S setup for the Gaui, I'll be flying mine. (I'm just messing with you) I don't hate the Gaui, it just tested my patience too much.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #186 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location
Talking

Last edited by bpd964; 01-10-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great review of the Gaui 200 . I think you did the heli justice as your findings were pretty close to the way I felt about the power system alhtough I only have the v1 I'm not coninved that anything has changed concerning the power system . It felt mushy to me as well in comparision to the T-rex 250 when comparing both in stock form .
jujiro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #188 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklebuck View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmB0k...eature=related

this video clearly states it is a stock V2, using a gaui 2S lipo. no magic dust is mentioned.
Well considering that you cant really hear the head speed in that video because of the music, I have to say pretty much looks like the power I have but of course the pilot is better. To me this shows STOCK! Certainly not like some of the other videos you posted. Again stock is stock and it is clear some of those videos is not what I got stock! This is really starting to show now and I am glad!

bpd964, your head speed is a little higher probably due to batts! But not too far off especially in your hover and pitch pumps! THANK YOU! Now we are getting a BASE to go buy. Listening to these and the Kyle video there is clearly something different with a much larger head speed and power. I am seeing more now of people stock that are pretty darn close to my head speed!

I just pocked up my Outrage pack and will be doing the same tests with it. We shall know for sure and again thanks bpd964! I feel a lot better now and the BS is clearing

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #189 (permalink)

Holy cow! Did I join this thread at the wrong time or what? Aside from the entertaining posts I would like to thank Bob for his instructional videos on the Gaui 200. I put mine together in 2 days with only his video guidance, I'm all ready to fly it but I had a mishap charging my Gaui lipos and have to wait until at least Monday to go get new ones. My goodness, the smoke was thick. And they didn't explode. They kinda go phhhhttt. The heli feels good and I can't wait to try it out. Don't let a few get you down Bob. When I opened the box and all the little boxes I was overwhelmed. You made it simple. I'm sure there are plenty more out there like myself who appreciate your help and effort. Thanks again.
Barry
Barry99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #190 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

You are very welcome. Happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Well considering that you cant really hear the head speed in that video because of the music, I have to say pretty much looks like the power I have but of course the pilot is better. To me this shows STOCK! Certainly not like some of the other videos you posted. Again stock is stock and it is clear some of those videos is not what I got stock! This is really starting to show now and I am glad!

bpd964, your head speed is a little higher probably due to batts! But not too far off especially in your hover and pitch pumps! THANK YOU! Now we are getting a BASE to go buy. Listening to these and the Kyle video there is clearly something different with a much larger head speed and power. I am seeing more now of people stock that are pretty darn close to my head speed!

I just pocked up my Outrage pack and will be doing the same tests with it. We shall know for sure and again thanks bpd964! I feel a lot better now and the BS is clearing

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #191 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry99 View Post
Holy cow! Did I join this thread at the wrong time or what? Aside from the entertaining posts I would like to thank Bob for his instructional videos on the Gaui 200. I put mine together in 2 days with only his video guidance, I'm all ready to fly it but I had a mishap charging my Gaui lipos and have to wait until at least Monday to go get new ones. My goodness, the smoke was thick. And they didn't explode. They kinda go phhhhttt. The heli feels good and I can't wait to try it out. Don't let a few get you down Bob. When I opened the box and all the little boxes I was overwhelmed. You made it simple. I'm sure there are plenty more out there like myself who appreciate your help and effort. Thanks again.
Barry
Just curious. How are you charging your lipos?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #192 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by playfair View Post
All you need to do is drop Ray a PM and ask.
But instead, you choose to attack him and call him a liar.

The ONLY claim Ray made is that he's running a 2S, NO WHERE does he say it's "stock".
BTW, I do know he's using the Gaui ESC w/JST connectors.
WRONG. Ray said he was done with HF a couple weeks ago, I told Bob so how is sending a PM to someone who is "done" with HF going to accomplish anything? You live near Ray, ask him yourself, then ask him to run up his "stock" machine at zero degrees at 100% throttle curve and shoot the head speed with a tach. I know Gaui is working on the best bang for the buck and I believe that the motors Ray and Bob have are obviously diferent in performance. Bob has a stock out of the box machine that was sent to him by Jack. If the blades are in track at zero and he is at 100% TC, than it is what it is. If someone gets different HS, then I think the vids may help Gaui get it sorted which would be great for the end user who is into value priced helis that have the potential to give a lot of bang for the buck. That is great!!

Stop making assumptions please. In this case you are way off base, if I need to quote Ray exactly when he said he was done, I can do that, go ahead and ask him.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #193 (permalink)

Default the battery chargers fault?

Well, at the risk of revealing what an idiot I can be, and with my electrical experience I offer no other excuse. I shortcut. When I was going to permanently solder a jumper to the battery charger I cut the twisted wires - without detatching the batteries and about 1/10th of a second later we had lots of smoke. The insulation melted so fast I had many many shorts and much heat. Threw batteries in bathroom sink very quickly and slammed the door shut. Those babies aren't 'AA's are they?
I'm a brand new rookie to this hobby but am dedicated for the long term.
Barry99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #194 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Wow man. Consider yourself lucky. Please read up a little more on lipos and be careful. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry99 View Post
Well, at the risk of revealing what an idiot I can be, and with my electrical experience I offer no other excuse. I shortcut. When I was going to permanently solder a jumper to the battery charger I cut the twisted wires - without detatching the batteries and about 1/10th of a second later we had lots of smoke. The insulation melted so fast I had many many shorts and much heat. Threw batteries in bathroom sink very quickly and slammed the door shut. Those babies aren't 'AA's are they?
I'm a brand new rookie to this hobby but am dedicated for the long term.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrivers View Post
It took Align less time to solve the 250's tail problem than it did for Gaui to solve the 200's soft tail shaft problem... for that is the reason why I bought a 250, because Gaui dropped the ball.

While you are working on a 3S setup for the Gaui, I'll be flying mine. (I'm just messing with you) I don't hate the Gaui, it just tested my patience too much.
To be fair, Align had theirs on the street in the US before the Gaui got here (albeit in limited quantities). Both fixed the problem for free. So good on 'em!
dwesnor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #196 (permalink)

i know that stock gaui motors with stock pinions and gaui 2s batteries can tach alot more headspeed than what bob's is. i'm am not saying it is something bob did wrong, but something is not right. his headspeed seems low to me. that's it. maybe micro deans on the motor wires? who knows, it could be a number of things.
unklebuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I dont know if this has been asked already, but how is the esc setup? is it still in heli/govenor mode (I saw the esc setup vid where you setup in Gov mode)? maybe that's why the headspeed is a little fishy.

Or maybe the esc is acting up (I know it's new but...you never know). I have been dealing with an issue where I cannot get anymore headspeed above 90.5% on the th curve, the motor just wont spin any faster (I have the 12A, esc on mine too). I'm not sure if it's an esc issue in my case tho. What I do know is that with my idle 1 high point maxing at 80, and doing the stick calibration on the esc in normal mode (linear 0 to 100) my throttle was maxing at 80 no matter what flight mode I was in, even if I moved the th points above that after calibration. The headspeed would just top out and any clicks above 80 in my tx had no effect. Then when I made my idle curve 100 flat and re calibrated in normal, I got it up to 90.5, no change in headspeed above that in any mode.

I'm still missing some available throttle, but the point is that changing the idle curves affected the outcome of my esc stick calibration in normal mode.

I figure that with your Pull Bob, maybe you can get another esc to test, same one and all so it's still an out of the box like setup.
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #198 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen View Post
I dont know if this has been asked already, but how is the esc setup? is it still in heli/govenor mode (I saw the esc setup vid where you setup in Gov mode)? maybe that's why the headspeed is a little fishy.

I MADE A VERBAL MISTAKE in my video. I SAID gov mode but in fact set it up STOCK IN NON-GOV MODE!

Quote:
i know that stock gaui motors with stock pinions and gaui 2s batteries can tach alot more headspeed than what bob's is. i'm am not saying it is something bob did wrong, but something is not right. his headspeed seems low to me. that's it. maybe micro deans on the motor wires? who knows, it could be a number of things.
Based on others now showing STOCK head speeds.... In the end you got a SNOW job on what you think is stock over the videos you like to watch as stock which are CLEARLY NOT STOCK! USERS are now showing consistently that the vids your showing as stock for the V2... IS NOT... THEY are showing REAL world and are pretty consistant with what I get.

I knew the truth would come out... It's unfolding now....

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #199 (permalink)

i give up people...
unklebuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

There seems to be a lot of attitude & posturing on this thread and less Physics!

The only way to get more head speed out of a given Electrical power system is to increase the number of teeth on the motor pinion. This will of course increase the current draw & shorten the flight time, assuming the motor/speedo can take it.

I can’t see how changing a pinion can be classed as not STOCK, that just part of setup!

You can’t expect a 2S to have the same power as a 3S pack, as you have 1/3 rd less energy to play with. You either use it up quicker, or accept a slower headspeed.

Tim.
Toolman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in