Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #241 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I measured my head speed with a tach. 4000 at 0 pitch with 100% throttle with a fresh pack. 3800 in the hover.

Bob

Bob, maybe it's a good idea to measure the voltage going into the ESC. With my EP550 I had a similar problem and measured the voltage with a Eagletree datalogger. I found out that over the connector and wiring I lost almost 1V ! As HS is directly related to voltage, this might be part of your HS problem.
My next best guess is that production tolerances in motor and esc are bigger than they should be e.g. some stock EP200's will have higher HS than others....

And now for a difficult question (knowing your opinion is absolutely non biased): T250 or EP200?
Or is it a close call and just a matter of tast?

nano CPX - nano CPX BL - 2 x MCPX V1 BL - 2 x MCPX BL - 230S - MQX - Gaui 330X - 4G6V-FBL - 4G6V - cX450pro - T450pro - T500 DFC - Gaui EP550 FBL

Last edited by xs4reak; 01-24-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: typing error....
xs4reak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #242 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Koopt View Post
Bob, maybe it's a good idea to measure the voltage going into the ESC. With my EP550 I had a similar problem and measured the voltage with a Eagletree datalogger. I found out that over the connector and wiring I lost almost 1V ! As HS is directly related to voltage, this might be part of your HS problem.
My next best guess is that production tolerances in motor and esc are bigger than they should be e.g. some stock EP200's will have higher HS than others....

And now for a difficult question (knowing your opinion is absolutely non biased): T250 or EP200?
Or is it a close call and just a matter of tast?
Bob's hs sounds about right given what he's taching.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #243 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3d View Post
Bob's hs sounds about right given what he's taching.
I never said it didn't :-)

nano CPX - nano CPX BL - 2 x MCPX V1 BL - 2 x MCPX BL - 230S - MQX - Gaui 330X - 4G6V-FBL - 4G6V - cX450pro - T450pro - T500 DFC - Gaui EP550 FBL
xs4reak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #244 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could anyone post some building videos also about the FES version? I watched all Bob Videos and they are really helping and interesting. I just own a FES and would like to see overview and building steps videos form Bob Finless since his videos are awesome and would really help a lot of ppl like me.
ITALion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #245 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs down

if you pm Ray Stacy he and his son flys them.....

maybe you can get lucky and get more than a 1 word answer from him and a bunch of youtube links of his son flying them....
Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam crosby View Post

Thanks Finless for the videos of the Gaui. I know I speak for 99% of people viewing this thread appreciative of you taking the time to do this build series on the Gaui.

Agreed, thanks for the awesome videos

Dave
VerticalDave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #247 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui Tail Setup

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the great videos. If it was not for your videos, I really would not have thought that my tail was incorrectly setup.

This is my problem. Ok I set the servo arm and tail link 90 degrees to the tail boom. Then I rotate the tail hub into tail shaft threads and if I rotate it all the way into the tail shaft until the thread stops, I can never get 8 degrees of pitch with that. If I do not rotate it all the way in, then I can get the 8 degrees pitch.

What shall I do now? Isnt it incorrect and unsafe if I do not bring the tail hub all the way until the thread stops?
aksy2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #248 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do like this:
Lock the tail hub with the supplied nut flush to the end of the tail shaft.
Yepp, You most certainly will have to use locktite.
This will give You the most travel on the tail shaft.
Ha.kan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #249 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Ok if I just use the blue locktite, won't the rotational force be greater than the locktite's force causing the tail hub to start rotating freely because there is no pressure on the hub by the nut??
Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 AM   #250 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The fact the the tail hub screws on and then the lock nut, makes it so there is very little change of it unscrewing if the lock nut is tightened properly. This nut is probably the tightest thing you will tighten on the entire heli

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #251 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

That's precisely my problem. If I tighten the nut all the way in, i can never get my 8 degrees of pitch. I have to flush the nut with tail shaft and locktite it to get my pitch as what Ha.Kan mentioned in his reply. My question is: Is it save to do it in this manner?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 AM   #252 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Huh? I have no problem getting 8 degrees.... You realize that you cannot use ALL the available throw on the tail shaft that the slider can go right? If you try the fork arms can flip inside and lock up the system! With that in mind, I get 8 easy with the slider slightly towards the tail hub (like my videos show) 8 on this heli looks like very little. How are you measuring the 8?

Bob
Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #253 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui 200 Tail Setup

Hi Bob,

Ok a photo would probably tell a thousand words.

Photo 1 - Tail without hub

Photo 2 - Tail with hub and link at 90 degrees.

Is this about right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Without Tail Hub.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	85966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub + 90 degrees.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	85967  
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #254 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Looks good to me!

Bob
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #255 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Bob.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #256 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob,

Ok me went back and tried flying.

If you see my photo 2 (+8 pitch), when the tail blade spins it actual throws air towards the tail boom that is to the left. Hence the tail is forced to the right causing the head to spin to the left. When adjusted the links to get -8 pitch in the tail, I achieved a hover point but the link is not 90 degrees. I can't achieve the hover point settings if i follow the manuals.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #257 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a similar issue that you described when I did my setup. Go back and set your servo arm 90 and your tail pitch lever arm 90 to the boom. With these set, loosen the jam nut at the tail hub and unscrew it so the outside part of the nut is flush with the end of the tail rotor output shaft. Now hold the shaft so it does not rotate (this is a little tricky, do not damage shaft while holding) and unscrew the tail hub so it moves toward the jam nut. Thread lock the tail hub and jam nut on the output shaft and tighten the jam nut against the hub. When I did this, the tail rotor pitch changed in the correct direction so that tail swings left on spool up and hover. I did my other adjustments( gain, left and right ATV) and achieved a solid tail. This will get your set up closer and then adjust as needed to tune in so tail is steady at hover. I am not sure why one GAUI would differ in tail pitch from another GAUI except output shaft lengths may differ. I have several output shafts as spares and the lengths and threaded portions on the shafts are all the same. Not sure what is the root cause.
This technique worked on mine, hope this helps yours..
ldrom46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #258 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Bro...If I follow your method, I believe I will get the same results,.. as your problem is similiar to mine. Ok I will try it out.

By the way, I will be using the blue coloured non-permanent thread lock. Will that be sufficient to hold the hub in place?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #259 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail shaft hub and nut threadlock

I would expect that the blue threadlock is probably OK. I did use the purple as this is what most seem to be using. Remember too that the tail hub and nut get tightened against each other to form a lock of sorts.
It's a good idea to pre-flight check for any loosening of the hardware in this and all critical areas in the heli.
ldrom46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #260 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrom46 View Post
I had a similar issue that you described when I did my setup. Go back and set your servo arm 90 and your tail pitch lever arm 90 to the boom. With these set, loosen the jam nut at the tail hub and unscrew it so the outside part of the nut is flush with the end of the tail rotor output shaft. Now hold the shaft so it does not rotate (this is a little tricky, do not damage shaft while holding) and unscrew the tail hub so it moves toward the jam nut. Thread lock the tail hub and jam nut on the output shaft and tighten the jam nut against the hub. When I did this, the tail rotor pitch changed in the correct direction so that tail swings left on spool up and hover. I did my other adjustments( gain, left and right ATV) and achieved a solid tail. This will get your set up closer and then adjust as needed to tune in so tail is steady at hover. I am not sure why one GAUI would differ in tail pitch from another GAUI except output shaft lengths may differ. I have several output shafts as spares and the lengths and threaded portions on the shafts are all the same. Not sure what is the root cause.
This technique worked on mine, hope this helps yours..

This Technique works awesome. I also added another nut on the inside and sandwiched the hub between the 2 nuts.

**When you start to be in complete control reflexes are not a requirement.**
s0laris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in