Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

I knew this was going to turn into a mess considering the history of the Gaui folks on this site.

Seems to me Bob is correct as well . . the headspeed seems low from the start at zero pitch. It's either the ESC, battery or motor can't see how the head setup would impact headspeed by that degree.

I think what the "Gaui freaks" are missing is that Bob actually likes the heli, but thinks it could use some power out of the box. Seems pretty positive to me. Heck If I was on the fense about buying one I would have to look at the Guai. I personally see the batteries being the most likely issue, but I will reserve any judgement until Bob has had a chance to play with it . . . I would suggest others do likewise . . . or put your money where your mouth is and post your magical setup.

Lastly . . .mapleleafs . . . seriously chill out , , ,

I have a special needs child, and I still see the point Aox was trying to make . . . maybe it's a little crass but . . . . .if your skin is really that thin you should seriously consider terminating your internet connection.

Last edited by mupchu; 01-08-2009 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
mupchu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #142 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Magic is truly mystifying and often quite potent. However, the interesting thing about magic is that once you know the trick, it is no longer magic. After building/fixing hundreds of helis like Bob has, there is very little magic left. He is just looking for factual answers.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow, don't read for a few hours and you miss all the fun...

Maybe if you found some servo arms that allowed the links to be exactly at 90. I remember from the videos that they leaned in. This will cause a loss of torque right around zero pitch. 5 degrees costs you xx% of your torque, 10 degrees xx%! *

That would upset the balance between the force of the servo and the resistance of the paddles and would have a larger effect than you think.

You can get half of that torque back by re-centering the servo arm so it's 90 off of the link angle, but then you lose a lot of torque at high pitch angles when the resistance of the paddles is highest.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Somebody said a helicopter wasn't perfect. Which one is, again?

*Please pay no mind to me, I was using 2*sin(alpha) instead of 2*(1-cos(alpha)), the actual loss is only 3% for 10 degrees. You'll have to forgive me, Statics was 23 years ago and at the dottard age of 41, it's best that I pay some one else to do my math for me.
dwesnor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #144 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK I understand that but what has that got to do with the power of the heli and lower head speed?

There is plenty of torque from the servos even at the slight angle.
Have you looked at how a Trex500 sets up? They want you to have a inside angle latger then even this for a reason. Less interactions at extreme ends. I am not seeing any issues flying wise. Cyclic is plenty fast. Heli flips and rolls fine etc.... The mushy pitch it due to lower head speed. But hey... If I get the head speed up and feel it is mushy still, I will try your suggestion even if I have to make my own servo arms. These Hyperion servos didn't offer any solution in arm choices. Users that get these will have this problem. I will see what other arms are possibly compatible with these servos.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #145 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

In my experience, the outrage 2s800 25c's give my V2 a little more headspeed and snap than my Fp 2s800 20c's..

I'm thinking the batteries might be keeping you a little under with the HS.. The woodies made a difference as well..
bpd964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #146 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I agree based on seeing the other videos. My head speed is for sure lower. Going by the LHS tomorrow after work and getting a outrage pack.
The Gaui packs do not have a C rating on them but someone suggested they are only 15C.

Bob
Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #147 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I haven't tried the Gaui's for the same reason. Hope it works out and I like to run the belt a little loose on mine.. Not too much where it'll slip on a pitch pump tho..

(Gaui Hobby 2-Cell (7.4V)800 mAh Li-Po pack has 15C continuous discharge rate, weight is 45g, and dimensions are 55 x 30 x 15 mm.)
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #148 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yea I double checked the belt after the first trimming flights. Head spins free (it is a driven tail). Motor is not hot after flight nor is the pack. You can see at the end of my vid when I spool down that it is pretty darn free spinning.

When I try the outrage pack if head speed is not up, I will loosen the belt a little more.

Bob
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #149 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

... hope this works out..!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #150 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yep me too....

BTW, I am not complaining about the heli here. Not sure why everyone went off. As you see if flew fine. I just want a little more power. When I say mushy pitch that is in relation to all my larger helis and I am sure no matter what it is going to feel different due to the size.

Bob
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #151 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I understand what you are getting at and not sure why it went as far as it did, but, I wanted to wait until the smoke cleared before commenting.. I even deleted a few post that I wrote because I wasn't sure the coast was clear..

Anyway, I agree about the difference in the "pop" and pitch.. The difference is like night & day when you are indoors.. But, outside, unless you soup it up, it's not going to be close to the same feel as a bigger bird.. As you said, no matter what, it's going to feel different..
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #152 (permalink)

Default Grateful for Finless Bob

Finless Bob -

Now would be a great time to tell you that I appreciate your videos for the pure educational experience that they provide someone new to the hobby like me. Just being able to stop rewind....recheck in the middle of the build ....helps out a bunch! I have been able to thouroughly go through my recently purchased used heli and without your assist I would be "screwed" since my LHS sucks!

Just a friendly reminder ....for everyone person that complains .........there are 4 people like me who are grateful.

Thanks Redbul88
Redbull88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #153 (permalink)
Aox
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs View Post
and AOX be ashamed of yourself for making that "special olympics" comment, that was outright disgusting and just shows how shallow of a person you are......i should say more but i am not going to.
I'm not ashamed, I have nothing against developmentally disabled kids or people. I worked for several years at a YMCA camp that supported special needs kids. I know who I am, and I am damn proud of who I am, and I'm sorry my crass comment offended you, but if you can't accept the duality of language, and the accept the fact that I was trying to make a point, trying to provide some "slap in the face hard diplomacy" with the vernacular and slang that's accepted by most sub-30 Internet crowd, then life is really going to rub you raw over the next 20-80, depending on your age. So don't be gay. You do know I pulled that from an image that's been widely circulated around arguing forums since the late 90's, right?

Anyway, let's get back to helis. We're arguing on the internet, and I already spoke my piece about that.

-Aox

P.S. I voted No on Prop 8, so don't go there either.
AMA #902257 - Team Mysterious Raccoon (Yoyo)
Helifreak, Yoyofreak, Network/Systems Engineer, Musician, Deadhead
~~~~~~ Aox - The "A" is Silent! ~~~~~~
Aox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wurger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wouldn't the first thing be to try a larger motor pinion?

Tim.
Toolman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #156 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I think the key here is a "stock" OOTB setup. Or as close to stock as you can get..
Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aox View Post
I'm not ashamed, I have nothing against developmentally disabled kids or people. I worked for several years at a YMCA camp that supported special needs kids. I know who I am, and I am damn proud of who I am, and I'm sorry my crass comment offended you, but if you can't accept the duality of language, and the accept the fact that I was trying to make a point, trying to provide some "slap in the face hard diplomacy"

-Aox
fair enough, i understand you comment and well it makes total sense, just think it was a wrong thing to say....

all is good, im not mad at you and i hope your not mad at me.back to heli's now

Bob
maybe you should just through in one of those z5150 or similar and an Outrage 25C so everyone will stop complaining, and all be happy.....lol.....
Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gaui videos

Hi all,

When I started RC-helis, I hear in many comments, that is is close to impossible to learn it without the help of an experienced flier from a local club. Well, probably ? Bob doesn't realise the amount of "newbies" he is helping out all over the world . The videos from Mr. White "Finless" are "top notch" and deserve respect. I'm not an experienced pilot (yet) and until now my RC heli knowledge is coming almost 100% from Helifreak.

Bob, just my way of saying thank you for all the info supplied and giving me acces to this wonderfull hobby. IMHO, I found the GAUI videos very interesting and the flying was very decent. ( I only whish to fly like this ) The "out of the box" comments looked honest and to the point. That this bird has more potential is clear and I'm pretty confident we'll find out soon, how...

I hope , I may enjoy many more build videos, tips and tricks, ....

An honest "THANKS" ! from Belgium,

Kurt
Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #159 (permalink)

+1
Hollo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see 3 problems with the lipo:

1. Gaui lipo, not sure it's up to par.
2. Brand new pack, lipos do not have full power until it has been cycled some.
3. It was probably cold out, lipos are weak when cold.

Can't believe noone's mentioned this yet. (or maybe I just missed it.)
rcboosted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in