Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

another possibility is that the V1's might be a bit lighter than the V2, so all the video's were v1's

my weight is 274 grams all up weight. (early v1 with the plastic mast holders, with the light canopy and wooden blades)

i know with the old canopy on mine it flys like a pig, weight is a huge factor here.

if this is the case, Bob is right, it needs more motor, just like the Trex 450 with the 430L motor, it was a dog too.

still a hoot to fly !!
Trex 450 SE hs5065mg's, 9257, scorp -8, mini Vbar
Trex 450 SA grey metal in a MD500E fuse hs65mg's, 2100, 3100, scorp -8
azdan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #162 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Packs was cycled 5 times and the other pack 3 times. Honestly made no difference that I felt.

Yes my fiberglass canopy is HEAVY feeling but my first hover for trimming I did not have the canopy on but I also didnt fly it around either, just hovered. I just got the new canopy and tail shafts so we shall see.

I bet I am going to get suprised when I pickup the outrage pack today!

On another note I wonder what ESC people were using in those vids? The ESC can also make a big difference. My previous Gaui ESC on my 550 was not up to the job and I got more power out of stock motor using a Castle or Align.
Is everyone else using the Gaui ESC or someting else?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #163 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Bob, lower the pinion a couple teeth and slap a 3s in it and be done with it. (then I guess it won't be "stock" anymore).

Let me try it, you can try my 250 (I promise I won't crash it).

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #164 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am going to stick with stock for now but you know long term I will probably power up if I really want more power. I am not a stick banger but as you know I like to fly big and to do large well rounded power loops, etc, and you gotta have the power! The loops you see in my vid is all she would give. They were good but I wanted more which is why I commented on that.

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #165 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted View Post
I see 3 problems with the lipo:

1. Gaui lipo, not sure it's up to par.
2. Brand new pack, lipos do not have full power until it has been cycled some.
3. It was probably cold out, lipos are weak when cold.

Can't believe noone's mentioned this yet. (or maybe I just missed it.)

How do we even know it's stock? Has anyone questioned the pilot? We could be chasing our tails here..
The video in question doesn't say stock anywhere.. unless I am missing something..
bpd964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #166 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Which video? My video? I think everyone knows my video is right out of the box right?

My question on the others ones is:
Battery?
ESC?
Motor?
Pinion?

Now I also wonder about the battery to ESC connector possibly limiting current? I never cared for those JST connectors myself. So would also like to know if they switch to mini deans or something?

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #167 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

No, the video with the high headspeed that Kyle was flying.. I'm just wondering if you are trying to match that with a stock setup without even knowing if in fact that video is stock or not..
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #168 (permalink)

has anyone bothered to ask ray or kyle?
unklebuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #169 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am not trying to match that just trying to get the ANSWERS.... All the people started pounding on me saying it's a setup problem because my head speed doesnt sound like Kyle's or the others in those video. I don't know if they are stock out of the box like mine or not, but people are insisting they are so now I want to know why mine does not have that kind head speed.
TRUST that I am going to go through everything until I find out. If I cant get that head speed without changing my out of the box config (pinion or whatever), then there is some funny business going on out there.

I just got word that Kyle's vid was using gaui batteries. If that is true what about the rest? Pinion, motor, ESC, etc?

When I get my Outrage batts I am going to do full test videos with a KEY factor of showing 100% flat idle up on the ground at 0 pitch. This way there is no BS setup comments. 0 pitch is 0 pitch and head speed is head speed. If I cant get that kind of head speed then at that point I am going to just take this heli and send it back and be done with it. I am not going to play games anymore with miss-information. I am sure you can understand that.

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #170 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Understood... Sounds very fair to me..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
. If I cant get that kind of head speed then at that point I am going to just take this heli and send it back and be done with it. I am not going to play games anymore with miss-information. I am sure you can understand that.

Bob

Whats the point in that? i thought you said it was fun? heck get the 5150 motor and have fun with it.... isn't that whats its all about???
Trex 450 SE hs5065mg's, 9257, scorp -8, mini Vbar
Trex 450 SA grey metal in a MD500E fuse hs65mg's, 2100, 3100, scorp -8
azdan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just got word that Kyle's vid was using gaui batteries. If that is true what about the rest? Pinion, motor, ESC, etc? TRUST that I am going to go through everything until I find out.
All you need to do is drop Ray a PM and ask.
But instead, you choose to attack him and call him a liar.

The ONLY claim Ray made is that he's running a 2S, NO WHERE does he say it's "stock".
BTW, I do know he's using the Gaui ESC w/JST connectors.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #173 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am not calling Ray a Liar. The others here who are stating these facts is who I am going to show the FACTS to. If Ray wants to chime in here and state HIS facts he clearly can. Getting told by folks here that his is Stock etc is who I am questioning. If his is not or is, and he wants to tell people that, I don't have a problem...

But what is clear here is the USERS here believe it is, are telling me I am full of BS, and that is where I am going to show my FACTS. Until then everything else is pure speculation. I am not going to continue to take people like Unklebuck posting videos of Kyle's heli or other videos, which have NO data facts in them, saying "SEE thiers is stock, you have a setup problem".

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #174 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

I could make a vid of my v2 in a small area of my livingroom showing headspeed and a bunch of pitch pumps and piros. The only difference other than stock is my fp 2s800 20c or my outrage 2s800 25c's.. I also have axe cp landing gear. Other than that, 4800kv stock motor, 15t pinion, 18amp stock esc (belt drive).

If anyone wants to see a poor quality vid of that, let me know, it'll only take 5 minutes..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #175 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmB0k...eature=related

this video clearly states it is a stock V2, using a gaui 2S lipo. no magic dust is mentioned.
unklebuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #176 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Why not! To eliminate "setup issues" shoot an on the ground idle up 0 pitch head speed vid. We can all hear the diffference I think unless it is real close. Then go into a hover so we can hear any head speed changes (like you hear in my video). After that if you want to show pitch pumps and such feel free.

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #177 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

ok

spool up only.. 100% no pitch/mid stick..
Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #178 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Very small space and low lighting so sorry about that.. I need to bring my pitch down to about +9.. it has more snap with a little less pitch..

I am intentionally moving around to show the cyclic and pitch. It's too windy outside so the livingroom was all I could do..

100% throttle
small flybar weights and short flybar rod
fp 2s800 20c
no expo
Gu-210 gyro
Hs45's
I removed the jrDS290 and now I am running futaba 3153 on tail

Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

my stock V1 sounds just like this Vid from bpd964. and I beleive I have a much higher head speed then the Finless Vid. I know they changed the gears in the V2 which may change the sound but don't think they changed the ratio???
I am running a V1 with stock 4800kv motor stock Gaui esc 100%no gov. stock gearing. and Gaui 800mah 2s. although hard to see much in the corner of the room, sound is better and small pitch pumps look better. but could be difference in camera Mics. but if you notice in the first floor vid, it starts out sounding like the Finless Vid then bumps up to a screaming headspeed. I was remembering my first flights on Mine were dissapointing and I went thru the Esc again and got it much better, I think I only changed to Gov Off though and I did reset the throttle endpoints at the same time as well.
but anyway I am happy with my V1 and Thanks Finless for taking the Abuse and giving your time again. I can only imagine how frustrated you must get trying to lend a helping hand!
concept1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
As for the batteries. I was sent 2 Gaui batts. I doubt both are bad.
I bought six Gaui batteries, and they all sucked. No power, hot after hovering, let alone anything aggressive. All of them went bad after 20 flights or so. I have 2S Outrage packs, and while they were very strong, after about 2 mins, they were severly lacking.

The Gaui's biggest flaw is that it needs to be a 3S machine, but it's geared wrong, and Gaui doesn't even offer a pinion to make it safe on 3S. The thing is an absolute rocket on 3S, though the heat from the esc, and mechanical issues concerned me. I had the V1, and shelved it because it was too problematic and wearing out. The V2 looks like it solved 90% of the issues I had with the V1, except for the tail grip/hub design, and presumably, all the slop in the washout base and arms (if they're the same parts).

Gaui, how about tossing a couple extra pinions in the box so people can choose to run 3S?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in