Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage RC > Outrage 550

Outrage 550 Outrage 550 Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Advice on on board regulator for ino-lab servos

I am currently doing my 550 build and I will be using ino-lab 760MG servos. I heard these servos draw a lot of amps. The question is which on boards regulator to use with these? will an align 6A regulator work running on 2S? Can anybody from team outrage who tested the heli with the ino-labs chime in on this matter? Thanks for any info.
damyxz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the 760HBs using the Scorpion ESC with it's internal 4A BEC. I also measured the current draw from them in a T-Rex 600 doing full 3D, the peak draw was 3.8A, average was a lot lower.
trextuning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, the Align 6A reg with a small 2S rx pack will work.
Foxden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered one of the Hobby Wing so called 8a UBEC's(voltage regulator) when I ordered the Western Robotics BEC for my Outrage.
Unlike the Align unit that uses only 2S packs for power, this will self detect and use either 2s or 3S supply power
It has a remote switch and led voltage indicators much like the Align unit. I have no experience with Hobby Wing stuff but have read a few good stuff/good bang for the buck..reviews about it.
I dont know what Ill test it on yet..which ever heli Im pissed at at the time
Rated at 8A cont -15A burst rating using either 2S or 3S lipo power.
For the price I thought it was worth a look http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=5211
Jamesppp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the advice guys I have a 6A align regulator laying around here somewhere. I'll also try that hobbywing UBEC. I like hobby wing ESC's, I use them on my smaller helis but the soft start is not really as good as align's.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use the Hobbywing 100HV ESC and the 8A BEC on my 8S Knight 600E
No problems thus far , soft , on that big heli is fine

lotus7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got the servos yesterday and I set it up on an eagle tree data recorder. 3 X ino-lab DS 760MG, 1 X ino-lab 760HB, logictech 2100t gyro, align 6A regulator and berg 7p receiver. The servos are not mounted on the heli or any of the electronics(no load) the eagle tree reads peak current at 5.6 A and peak power consumed at 9 watts. I said, wow a really hungry system. Note that the servos are not loaded whatsoever and the test is made by rapidly moving the sticks around at the same time. I think I will go with the hobby wing UBEC or a turnigy regulator rated at 15 A.(hobby city)
Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Told ya they were hungry little buggers
Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah but they are fast though...quite impressive.
OK for the next question...would a 1400mAh li-po pack be enough for at least 2 - 5 min flights? or do I need a bigger pack?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

interesting the 760MGs must pull a load more than 760HBs then as I can't get the whole radio system above 4A in the air. I know Phil Lennert has 760MGs in his 550 and he's doing full 3D just using the Scorpion internal 4A BEC.

I will do some more tests on the 760HBs but I've already done two logged flights through them in a T-Rex 600.

Just to check, I reran a static test on the 760HBs, peak was 3.7A with the sticks all being moved as fast as my fingers would go. I had always assumed that the 760HBs were just plastic geared versions of the 760MG......that doesn't seem to stack up on these results.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Iam using a pefect regualtor@ 6.5 volts on a 2s lipo

So far it has been flawless and iam @ 40 flights
BobbySmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ash, Bobby;

It's interesting, we had the Ino Labs servo's DS760MG in ours with the very same setup we've been running, HV85 CCBEC, 6S 5000, speckrum 7 ch rec. we sat with everything installed in the heli ready to fly as we were getting ready for IRCHA, and we could not get our system to brown out, tried with Myself, Steven, and SteveL all on the sticks for 15 minutes, however Charley got his to brown out so as a precaution we changed them out to JR 8417's

WE PLAN TO USE THE INO LABS in the Outrage 50 Nitro prototype when it is ready, as Bobby said he is running them with a regulator and ZERO problems, it seems to be a hit or miss depending on your setup, but someone put the MG serov's on a datalogger and they are pulling some amps, and I believe that was on a bench with no linkages of load.

All were saying is BE CAREFULL, we have had them BROWN OUT, the JR8417's have been flying perfectly for hundreds of flights between all the Team pilots I don't think we've had a servo fail yet, and we are all using different BEC's
Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree Clyde, if you have the facility then test the load on your individual setup and then spec your regulator accordingly. I've not managed to recreate the brown out condition on these servos and oh boy have I tried...... either Charley had a dodgy servo in there somewhere or we are missing something.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The bench test set up I did was an align fully charged 7.2 V 1100mAH battery connected to an eagle tree datalogger and the eagletree is connected to an align 6A regulator. 3 ino-lab 760MG's were connected in the receiver(berg 7P) with a logictech 2100t gyro with an ino-lab 760HB servo. All of these are powered by the align regulator. I moved both sticks rapidly at the same time and I noticed that the indicator lights on the align regulator would go from green ( full charge) to dim red. It may be that my power source is weak(2years old) but still the eagletree did show the numbers. Anyway, I will be using the hobbywing 15A rated UBEC and I might design a board to enable separate servo power routing from the receiver. I think a 20C 1350 mAh outrage pack will do the trick.
Another question(might belong to another thread though), I have noticed that the hobbywing 80A HV is recommended, I have a hobbywing 100A laying around(pentium), I have heard that these are good ESC's but I have trouble programming the soft start function with the smaller HW ESC's, How is the softstart on the 80A HV(I have never attempted to use the 100A yet)? Thanks for iny info.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

interesting, I think the numbers may be skewing here as the servos are just like any other motor, they need a certain level of power and as you reduce voltage amps will increase.

I would recommend trying this test with a good power source just to verify that what we are seeing here (high amps) isn't just the effect of a low voltage condition.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree, good idea
Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

I have about $250k worth of test gear handing around, send me your O550 and i shall test
Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Capi, I can't get close enough to Steven's every time I get within a foot it bells and whistles go off, it's like I have to pry it away from him
Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How do you get a screen capture of the eagle tree graph so I can post it? I think the amps were high because the align regulator only out puts about 5.5-5.8V. I will try again with the same equipment but different batts. OK, I changed the batt to 2S 2500mAh pack and I got different #s. Same setup, different battery. Starting voltage for the battery is 7.94V and the highest amp drawn is 4.83A and the lowest pack voltage is 6.84V. A total of 33 watts are used during the test.
I wonder why I got different readings....
Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

You can export the graphs as jpg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.