Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can't get my throttle and pitch curves right

I was out in my yard messing around and I went into idle up mode and for some reason the pitch is not equal up or down. When I punch it up it doesn't have much but down or negative pitch it has all kinds of power. So why is it more when I go negative pitch then when I go full positive pitch?

Idle up mode:

Throttle curve

Pitch curve

Normal mode:

Throttle curve

Pitch curve

Is that good for idle up mode and normal? By the way I am using a Futaba 6EX 2.4 radio. If someone has a better setup let me know please!
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

GRAVITY
dbatman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's because of your pitch curve. In idle up, your pitch curve should usually be 0-25-50-75-100. Yours (0-40-80-90-100) only gives you a 20% pitch range between middle stick and high stick (80-..-100) but you have 80% pitch range between middle stick and low stick.

widower is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try seting the pitch with a pitch gauge dont worrie about the pitch numbers in the tranmitter. Adjust transmitter to give the pitch you want on the gauge once you set the pitch with a gauge its set for good dont mess with it. Now you only have to mess with throttle numbers. I usually set mine with a strait line of 90 across in idle up. Just make sure to match everything a mid stick so when you flip the switch to idle up the heli will not jump and motor doesnt surge on you. My pitch is usualy -11, 0 at mid, +11

Try this throttle curve
Nomal 0,inh,85,85,85
Idle up 85,85,85,85,85
If 85 is to low or to high of a head speed adjust to your likking.
The point being electric motors run there best in the power band which is around 85 to 100%. Unlike nitro motors which need a more fine tuned throttle curve like 90,75,65,75,90 and 0,45,65,75,90 for example.
Signal Company Team Chief

Last edited by smoothb10; 12-11-2008 at 01:15 AM..
smoothb10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

A flat throttle curve will mean that the headspeed changes as the pitch changes. Unless you are running a governor. It is like trying to drive up a hlill without adding throttle to you car, you will slow down. With an electric, this also increases the amp draw and heat in the motor, ESC, and pack.

Normal:
Pitch: 40 - 45 - 50- 75 - 100 (fine tune the 40 and 45 to get -2 to -3 degrees at full low stick)
Throttle: 0 - 65 - 80 - 90 - 100 You want to get the headspeed up into a reasonable range. Electrics need to be run over 80 throtlte for bst effciency.

Idle Up:
Pitch: 0 - 25 - 50- 75 - 100
Throttle: 100- 95 - 90 - 95 - 100
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hmmmm

UAV, what heli is this on?

The purpose of the dip in the idle-up throttle curve is to completely remove the possibility of an overspeed. Most hotshots will tell you to just go linear on your throttle in idle-up (100% straight across). The idea is that you're not going to be flat pitch for more than a split second any way (pitch decreases headspeed). The odds of overspeeding are minimal on most stock helicopters and it keeps your headspeed from bogging down if you make a quick collective input. I ran my helis with the stock throttle curve and definitely noticed the headspeed lag when pulling out of any type of high-G maneuver. At 100% the power is there when I need it.

Widower is right, another problem is your pitch curve. In idle-up it in most helis I am familiar with go: 0-25-50-75-100. ( my CP Pro, Blade 400s and T-Rex 500)

From there, your linkage and your swash mix should be set to give you flat pitch at 50 and + - settings that give you the correct amount of pitch for the heli you are flying.

Hope this helps.
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."
RotorJockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in