Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #741 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default "Its alive!!!"

I did it it worked got her off the ground today after a friend looked it over and told me what I needed to correct. All thats left is time behind the sticks to get better.

I got it going with all parts from HobbyKing.
Right at $200 with express shipping not a bad deal.
sik304s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #742 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik304s View Post
I did it it worked got her off the ground today after a friend looked it over and told me what I needed to correct. All thats left is time behind the sticks to get better.

I got it going with all parts from HobbyKing.
Right at $200 with express shipping not a bad deal.
Thats awesome, I am really happy that this cheap little Heli has gotten so many new flyers into the Hobby.

Just for info the new 450 Pro clone has been released, they are out of stock at present as is the norm when the new stuff comes out. I'll be doing an update when mine arrived and I now have my video gear working so I'll do some new videos as well.

Craig
Racer38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #743 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks like there is a belt and torque-tube version available. This should drive the anti-clone Align crowd right over the edge. An Align Pro kit for $70. Photos look great too.

They aren't going to be able to keep up with the demand on these. Already negative 88 on the tube version.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #744 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks like CopterX also has a pro kit out... http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=9062 It just gets better and better!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #745 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default HK450 V2 head pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
I think you'll get a very good fun to money ratio there. Let us know what you think when you get it. I would specifically like to know how much of the head is now metal compared to the all plastic V1.
Here are 2 pics I took of the head on my HK450 ver.2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	138444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	138445  
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #746 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's still hard for me to tell which parts are metal and which are plastic. Can you break it down for us?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #747 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The blade holders, fly bar cage, I think its called the sesaw(the control arms that transfer movement) are all plastic. The swashplate, washout and blade hub and button are metal.

Hope this helps a bit next time I bend the main shaft I will take better pics of individual pieces
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #748 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HK450GT kit showed up today and looks pretty good. I got the Turnigy 2836-3700 motor with it as well as a couple sets of the carbon blades. The blades look really nice and will fit the Blade 400 as well. The blades that came in the kit are the very nice white painted lightweight blades rather than the heavily painted yellow jobs that came in the earlier kits. I don't know if they are fibreglass or carbon but they are very light and solid feeling. It looks to me like all the parts in the rotor head and tail rotor are aluminum. The mixers and washout levers included. Swash is metal as well. The carbon frames look good with a few rough edges but thats a simple fix and for the money paid better than expected. I was a little concerned that the rod ends had been left out but I found them in the bag with the blade cozy. The paint job on the canopy is another pleasant surprise as it looks quite nice. Having read through the previous pages I see now where the motor fit may be a pain to fiddle with but should be doable. The belt for the tail appears to have the same markings as the one in my blade 400 so I wonder if they are all coming from the same manufacturer.????? Tail rotor assembly looks solid and the thrust bearings are there and properly installed(were when I took them apart anyway). Having just spent $60 for parts to repair my Blade 400 this is looking even better costwise. Might be a bit before I can get it flying as I still need a tail servo and I've already spent the alloted monthly amount for toys.....(there was an HK500GT in the box too). Might be time to start a new thread on these HK's.

Frank

Last edited by biffj; 02-23-2010 at 03:52 PM..
biffj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #749 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After a few years layoff I've been resurecting my old ARK X-400, I'll be doing a head rebuild using the standard head from an HKH 450 clone that's winging it's way from hong kong.
The HKH will be getting an ally head and tail rotor assemby, once it's been stripped and rebuilt.
As I don't want to strip all the controls from the X I've got most everything 'new'.
All up spend of £105 UK ( $160 US) LOL I've probably been a bit extravagant on this
Nickj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #750 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great build up, Racer38. I'm thinking of going to either the 250 or the 450, what do you think would be the better move for a beginner? I see you're also doing a cheap version of the 250 on your site, but haven't seen anything other than an intro.
dwhitney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #751 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer38 View Post
Just a Note on using the Telebee ..

It seems 90% of the problems I am having are weather related. I get it set up perfect in the house and the minute I take it out into the freezing cold the sub trim needed to cancel out the servo creep goes crazy.

This is probably an adequate Gyro, but due to it being so temper mental I wont recommend it. Mine is flying fine now but for a beginner it would be way to much to keep up with ..

As far as the rest of the electronics, all the servo's are working Great, and even the Hextronix 036 ESC is still doing fine after 15 or so flights. I am still waiting on other optional stuff I ordered. The ESC and the Gyro. Hopefully these will be a bit easier to use for a beginner.

Craig
Craig,I did same chopper.same 3 main servo's telebee gyro---NO GOOD. I bought Detron Gy48 gyro & coupled it with a .09 MS servo! SAME tail drift when I accelerate/hammer the throttle.STUMPED !!??? I have a Futaba Gy401 ready to go but heard that the Detrum was a jammin gyro , so i tried it. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong. Dying to see what your results were.
Fred---Ct
67air is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #752 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dwhitney,

I know this was directed to Racer38, but I'll throw my .02 cents in.

Bigger is better. More mass, wind effects it less, and it's more stable.

I am back to flying 450's as my brother has now joined the dark side (helis), but my 600's, and my Pantera 50, are just SO much more forgiving, but also more expensive to repair.

I would go HK450GT with good blades. Hobby City has parts, but I have been purchasing spare parts from ebay store hkpartscom (no dot) in bulk, for great prices.

Also if stripping screws become an issue, RTL fasteners has some good ones.

Get a good pair of hex drivers like the dynamite from Horizon Hobbies.

IMHO.
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425
edhall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #753 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this will be my next heli possibly after I get some time in with my Hobby People Mystery.
y2kgtp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #754 (permalink)
Registered Users

um. can anyone tell me the approximate payload for this heli?
nukaidee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #755 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hello Folks. Well, after two years of waiting and saving for a 450 class heli. I went with the HK-450GT and ordered it with electronics from hobbyking. And a DX6i is on the way. After opening the package, I'm a little intimidated on putting it together. A while back, I Dled all the Finless videos, and manuals for the SE and SA. The SE manual looks confusing and the SA comes 80% assmebled, so it doesn't explained the build. Is there a better manual to use for this 450GT ? I will be asking questions along the way I'm sure. What I need first is a manual, I'll print it out and hopefully it all goes smooth. Thanks.
Kdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #756 (permalink)
Registered Users

glad i came and saw this thread, i ordered the HK450GT as well! its on the way so hopefully i can learn before it arrives!! am currently busy with my first cp and first build, Trex 600... intimidating but fun and cant wait to get it into the air! ordered HK450 for the next build
andrewhudson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #757 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Hk-450GT looks really nice and can't wait to get it together. I hope I get answers here on this forum and may come up with some probably "silly" questions. I'm a newby. I found some videos on utube, and will use those along with a SE and SA manual. Oh, and the Finless videos.
Kdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #758 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi!

I am new to this heli scene and was wondering if flying with this head http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12611 would be easier or harder for beginner? What kind of set up would you recomend for this head assembly!

Thanks for your help!
matejmiklavc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #759 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

matejmiklavc,
I think you should stick with the 2-blade head with flybar until you get VERY comfortable with it. Flybarless and 4-blade heads add more complexity for a beginner. I haven't done any of that myself so I may be wrong. But, it's best to stick with the basics for now. For one thing, you'll be doing some crashing and it will be cheaper replacing just 2 blades, rather than 4. Also, it's much more difficult tracking more than 2 blades.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #760 (permalink)
Registered Users

Race, you really should do a Cheapest HK-600 article!!! Or have you a;ready done that and I just have not read the article far enough....
wartoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in