Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #181 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Lighten up littlepiston. Bob does these videos for free and shares them for free. He doesn't owe you, me or anyone any obligation to do any particular videos.

I built my HDE with the help of Bob's videos, everything you need is there if you watch the stock TRex videos as well as the HDE ones and use a little initiative. If you have specific problems with the build then post clear questions on helifreak and you will get answers from the many helpful and knowledgable people on here.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #182 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
witch is the best motor for the t-rex 450 on tp PL2100 and cc 35 all out power
Well my experience has been the CC controlers and Align motors dont work well together... Setting the CC to high timing seems to damage the 430L and mid timing is a very low head speed in my opinion.

Anyway post this question over int he Trex forum and I am sure you will get lots of answers with good other motor choices...

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

awww hell i aint complaning i was trying to find the reson why it was half done,, and i have no problems building helis .. the only problem i have is keeping them together :mrgreen: <---- did i mention i like this smilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Lighten up littlepiston. Bob does these videos for free and shares them for free. He doesn't owe you, me or anyone any obligation to do any particular videos.

I built my HDE with the help of Bob's videos, everything you need is there if you watch the stock TRex videos as well as the HDE ones and use a little initiative. If you have specific problems with the build then post clear questions on helifreak and you will get answers from the many helpful and knowledgable people on here.
littlepiston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 12:14 AM   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Bob,

Started my build last night and am now even more grateful, I'm sure I would have made some or all of the mistakes you identify. Even after only this first stage, I have some questions, hope it's OK to post them here. This post turned out pretty detailed and long, I tend to provide as much info and context as I can to help diagnose a problem (I'm an engineer!). Please let me know if it is too much and I'll provide less detail in the future.

1) Instruction manual (mine != yours)

The instructions for my kit (TRex 450XL in the black outer cardboard box) are different from those you used.

The cover on mine says "TRex 450 XL Instruction Manual" and it says "Part 3 Jul.2005" in the bottom left=hand corner of the rear cover. I have not (yet) seen anything to suggest that they are for a different kit from the "450XL(HDE)" that I ordered.

The build steps are differently numbered which was quite confusing at first since the diagrams you refer to are very hard to identify from the video.

HH
- Pg 4 = Steps 1-5 = Rotor housing and Flybar seesaw
- Pg 5 = Steps 6-8 = Flybar control set (cage), Flybar and Paddles
- Pg 6 = Steps 9-13 = Blade Grips, Main shaft and Washout
- Pg 7 = Steps 14-15 = Blades, Swashplate and the overall head reference diagram

That's as far as I have got in my assembly (although I am following your order) but from the manual:

HB.HF (Main Frame)
- Pg 8 = Steps 1-2 = Elevator control arm, Main frame
- Pg 9 = reference diagram
- Pg 10 = Steps 3-7 = Main gear, servos, anti-rotation arm
- Pg 11 = Landing gear

HT (Tail rotor)
- Pg 12 = Steps 1-4 = Control arm, Control set, Holder, blades
- Pg 13 = Steps 5-11 = Boom
- Pg 14 = Steps 12-15 = Canopy, attach boom, radio

I think I have it sorted so far but I wonder why it is so ? Anyway you might want to check with Align if the instructions have changed since your review and if so, put a note somewhere on this page.

2) I could grow to hate ball links.

* Resizing the eyes with the JR tool is hard (needs practice as you say in "Ball Links 101") and I ruined some (got a bagful on the way, but I won't have enough to finish the build until it comes ).

* Once I had removed the screw from the JR tool and squeezed the end a bit, I could never get the screw back in properly, I guess one side bent in more than the other so now the screw is angled and only threads in part way.

* Assembling the links is really a pain, both figuratively and in reality. Being an office worker with softie hands, my finger tips are red raw after building the head.

* I found it very hard to get most of the eyes started on the rods. It took many attempts and up to 15 minutes and dozens of attempts for some of them. In the end I just had to grip the rods in the centre with needle-nose pliers which on the tiny ones, mashed the centre of the thread.

Q) Are there any tricks to assembling the links ? How do you go about getting the eyes initially threaded onto the rods (it took me up to about 15 minutes to get some of them started) ? Do you use a pair of those butterfly-shaped link turning tools to turn them ?

:idea: If you do have any tips for initially assembly of links then perhaps "Ball Links 102" could be added to the collection.

3) Landing gear won't go togther.

Obviously I'm a nong because I couldn't find any way to get the landing gear frames onto the skids. They are both *way* too tight. With a lot of force and wiggling I can just barely get them started on the straight end of the skid.

Q) Do you lubricate them (would that be OK, i didn't coz I was concerned it might be bad practice) or maybe heat them in some hot water (the frames that is, not the skids) ? Any other hints on what I would have thought is the simplest step of the build ?

I hope it's OK to post these questions here, if not please tell me I should post in the future.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Bob, I got my 450XL for X-MAS from my wife since she thought I needed a hobby to keep my mind occupied on something useful and fun--boy was she right... Its challenging and your videos are a must as I thought about so many what IF's until I found your site and videos. So thanks a whole bunch for your time as this hobby is catching me by storm!
Wobblr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #185 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Your WELCOME! Merry Christmas

Bob
Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #186 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hey Wobblr,

Welcome to your new addiction, you are gonna have a ball

Not sure why you quoted my ancient post but in case you have some of the same questions here are some brief answers:

1) Yes the manual has changed from when Bob did the video, but with a little patience you can identify the steps and which diagrams go with which step in Bob's video.

2) The trick to starting the ball links is:

- Gentle countersink the opening in the end of the plastic eye by spinning the tip of your hobby knife around a couple of times
- Use one of the self tapping screws to tap the start of a thread in the flared end. Just one to one and half turns of the screw should be enough

Now the eye should thread easily onto the link rod. I usually hold the rods in the centre with needle nose pliers. I have had so much practice that now I find it quick and easy and never get raw fingers any more :wink:

3) Whatever works. I think I had a particularly tight set in the first kit. You can pop the aluminium skids in the freezer to shrink them while you put the plastic struts in some hot water. Or you can just persist with wiggling and wriggling and rotating and they will go on in the end. They are firm enough that I don't bother with CA to hold them in place.

Hope that is some help and good luck with your new toy.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Electronics Positioning

Hi Bob,

I am in the midst of building my 450XL. I got some queries on the placement of the electronics and hoped that you can help me...

1) Battery
The only way to mount the battery is at the bottom right? Unlike SE model, where the bateery is mounted on the top. Hence where would the battery connector be pointing? forward or aft? What would be your recommendation?

2) ESC
Where would be the best place to mount it?
SE models are simple as they are mounted on at the front of the bird. But XL model does not allow as that area is occupied by the battery. In addition, consideration has to be taken for the heat sink, which got to have good airflow. Any recommendation on where to mount the ESC?

3) Receiver
Most people mount their receiver at the rear end of the frame, which prevents interference with the motor. Is this a good idea? or is there a better position?

4) Gyro
Seen some videos that people mount their gyro at the bottom instead at the top rear of the bird. This is due to the fear of the paddle striking it in the event of a crash. Any comments? Or how would you recommend to mount it at the bottom?

DO you have a picture of your heli so that I can visualise it?

Thanks a million for all your help!
vinljp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #188 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

vinljp,

1) Yes, in the HDE/CDE the battery is mounted on the tray at the front, usually with the power leads pointing forwards but it just depends on how you do you cabling.

2) The ESC is usually mounted on the outside of the frame

3) Yes, power electronics at the front, Rx/gyro at the back

4) Yes, below the boom. Rick's mount is very popular. See here:
https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=13156

Photos - I have just one in my gallery that will give you some idea. NOTE it was from the beginning of my TRex journey and I have learned some things since then. One is NEVER fly the "fibre" blades unless you want a boom strike and your heli destroyed: https://www.helifreak.com/album_show...p?pic_id=15306
Old 03-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Rotor Query

Would like to check with you whether if I were to hold/ restrict rotation (by hand) on my tail rotor, will I be able to turn my main rotor?

Currently, I could turn the main rotor while restricting my tail rotor.

Is this normal? Or there is some problem with my tail rotor gear set?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vinljp,

Yes you can turn the tail rotor and make the mains spin, just turn the tail so the blades spin UP into the main rotor. When it's all new you have to adjust it to not bind. I found after several flights things loosened up considerably.
Jermo
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jermo,

Actually what I meant was that if I were to restrict rotation (by hand) on either the mains or the tail hold, will I be able to rotate the other?

I had a tip over on my T-Rex today , and I thought I felt that I have lost tail control

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you hold either from moving then you should not be able to turn the other un-restricted unless there's a belt or one-way bearing issue.
Jermo
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #193 (permalink)

Default Newbie Question - E-Sky HeadLock gyre and Spektrum DX6 Radio

First of all, I just dont understand how these Forums work and how to post a question with using the 'Reply' function.

That said, I hace completed and installed all the necessary bits on my 450XL HDE, but cant figure how to 'Setup and correctly trim/tune' my E-Sky Gyro with my Spektrum DX6. If necessary, please redirect me and this message to the appropriate Topic or whatever it's called.

Thanks, GrayEagle

PS. What's with the Posted dates? eg. the next post by Jermo shows as posted : e34Saturday585904 !!! Also the button for "SpelCheck" has some wierd characters after it!!!!
GrayEagle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #194 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

GrayEagle,

I offer two suggestions to help you. The first is a detailed DX6/TRex setup guide. It is for the 450SE but a lot of the information is relevant (although not the CCPM portion): http://www.digimemphoto.com/guides/backguide.htm

Second, some advice on piezo gyro setup:

Setting up a piezo gyro
=======================
You might want to take a look at this link with generic instructions about setting up HH gyros: http://www.natew.com/rcheli/frame_ma...H#why.behavior

While the gyro model and heli model may not be the same as yours, I think the theory of operation will be and hence the setup steps should be the same. Indeed, I think these instructions are probably valid for all the HH gyros that do not have on-board travel adjustments.

The summary points are:

1) In HH you should initially have 100% ATVs as this controls your piro rate, not your travel endpoints. Once your tail is all setup and holding, if you want more or less piro rate in either direction then you can adjust your rudder ATVs to achieve that outcome.

2) Since there is no endpoint control on the gyro, you have to rely on getting the right control arm radius to prevent binding. You may have to drill an extra hole in your servo arm at just the right position.

3) Once your rudder trim is set during flight testing in HH mode, with a good gyro
you shouldn't need to change it again.

---------
Then there is this alternative: http://www.x400tuning.com/aligngyro.htm

I think this set of instructions is specifically for the Align/Telebee gyro and has a different point of view regarding the order of Tx and mechnical setup. Now you'll have to choose which one makes the most sense to you.

Finally, take a look at the Finless video on setting up the Align/Telebee gyro on this page: https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=17482

========
Not sure why things look odd on your PC ? The posted date shows like this on my pc: Sat May 05, 2007 9:19 am
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
GrayEagle,

I offer two suggestions to help you . . ......

Not sure why things look odd on your PC ? The posted date shows like this on my pc: Sat May 05, 2007 9:19 am
Hi Kgfly - thanks for your detailed response. I've only just opened your post (9 pm Mon 7 may), and am looking forward to reading the details at the links you provided. AS to the dates, as I say, the members joining dates come through just fine, and so did the posted date a week or so ago, but something happened since and for example your response date appears as e51Saturday161501 and of course mine is equally obscure. I notice the Options (on the left of the window as I type this) are HTML OFF, BBCode ON, and Smilies ON , and the word spelcheck in the button below appears as follows: SPELCHEK and two characters: an A with a little 'hat' and TM in tiny letters !!! ??? Might there be a Bulletin Board Techie who could throw a little light on this - in the meantime I'll try to find a way to fiddle around with Options to set HTML ON, etc

Thanks again, GrayEagle
GrayEagle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #196 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I have HTML off, BBCode on, Smilies on. The SpelChekA(tm) is as you describe it, that's just the trademark of the spell checker software used by this BBoard. No idea about the weird dates.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #197 (permalink)

Default Bobs videos

Hi Bob, fantastic work sir!
winkle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #198 (permalink)

Default How many videos ?

Hi Bob, how are you doing ?

I'm novice in the hobby. I have a T-Rex 450 but I had to pay for my instructor to set up it for me because I was afraid of setting up something wrong. I downloaded your videos today and now I hope to learn how to set up or change some parts when necessary. My doubt is the following: how many videos you published, in the total. I downloaded 8 videos. Are they all ?

Thanks,

Maurício
mmota is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #199 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hi Maurico, Welcome to Helifreak

Bob has made many videos. For the TRex 450 I recommend you review all the ones in both the HDE section (there are 8 of these) and SE section (there are 20 of these) as there is lots to be learned from them all. A couple have been made obsolete by improvements in the Align products (eg the two about the SE tail hub).

Happy flying with your TRex.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #200 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Thanks for helping out kgfly! You the man

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in