Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks
mmffdvrr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the videos Bob, just what a newby needs!
Highlander is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze_au
hmm.. 5th of June... still the first week i guess

Looking forward to the tail end of the bird

Sorry Blazze... may be another week but we shall see. My Wife's Mom went into the hospital a week ago and things arent going well and I just dont have the free time right now...... BUT no reason you cant use the tail videos I have already done for the SE as they are very similar.

Sorry,
Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Nothing to be sorry about Bob... hell I feel bad you said sorry.. you are doing us all a GREAT favor...

Hope the mother-in-law is back to giving you a hard time soon

and I have already checked out that vid :wink:

Arr.. you said sorry twice!!
Blaze_au is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Thanks Blaze!

Bob

P.S. I love your avitar! Matches your handle well
Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #26 (permalink)

Ok Bob, you've had two weeks to get your funding from Hollywood. Still anxiously awaiting the tail assembly and belt tension vid. :mrgreen:
zooland1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Where to find the other videos ?

These videos are fantastic, thank you for all your hard work. I've just ordered my first TRex and am very excited to get started.

You mention several other videos (soldering and ball link resizing so far, probably others to come) but I cannot find them anywhere on this forum.

Can you tell me where to look or provide some links.

Thank you again for your generosity in sharing this info,
Kenneth
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 12:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

OK, I found them. I thought "Finless videos" was about building a heli without fins!

Thanks.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
Old 06-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hi Bob,

Started my build last night and am now even more grateful, I'm sure I would have made some or all of the mistakes you identify. Even after only this first stage, I have some questions, hope it's OK to post them here. This post turned out pretty detailed and long, I tend to provide as much info and context as I can to help diagnose a problem (I'm an engineer!). Please let me know if it is too much and I'll provide less detail in the future.

1) Instruction manual (mine != yours)

The instructions for my kit (TRex 450XL in the black outer cardboard box) are different from those you used.

The cover on mine says "TRex 450 XL Instruction Manual" and it says "Part 3 Jul.2005" in the bottom left=hand corner of the rear cover. I have not (yet) seen anything to suggest that they are for a different kit from the "450XL(HDE)" that I ordered.

The build steps are differently numbered which was quite confusing at first since the diagrams you refer to are very hard to identify from the video.

HH
- Pg 4 = Steps 1-5 = Rotor housing and Flybar seesaw
- Pg 5 = Steps 6-8 = Flybar control set (cage), Flybar and Paddles
- Pg 6 = Steps 9-13 = Blade Grips, Main shaft and Washout
- Pg 7 = Steps 14-15 = Blades, Swashplate and the overall head reference diagram

That's as far as I have got in my assembly (although I am following your order) but from the manual:

HB.HF (Main Frame)
- Pg 8 = Steps 1-2 = Elevator control arm, Main frame
- Pg 9 = reference diagram
- Pg 10 = Steps 3-7 = Main gear, servos, anti-rotation arm
- Pg 11 = Landing gear

HT (Tail rotor)
- Pg 12 = Steps 1-4 = Control arm, Control set, Holder, blades
- Pg 13 = Steps 5-11 = Boom
- Pg 14 = Steps 12-15 = Canopy, attach boom, radio

I think I have it sorted so far but I wonder why it is so ? Anyway you might want to check with Align if the instructions have changed since your review and if so, put a note somewhere on this page.

2) I could grow to hate ball links.

* Resizing the eyes with the JR tool is hard (needs practice as you say in "Ball Links 101") and I ruined some (got a bagful on the way, but I won't have enough to finish the build until it comes ).

* Once I had removed the screw from the JR tool and squeezed the end a bit, I could never get the screw back in properly, I guess one side bent in more than the other so now the screw is angled and only threads in part way.

* Assembling the links is really a pain, both figuratively and in reality. Being an office worker with softie hands, my finger tips are red raw after building the head.

* I found it very hard to get most of the eyes started on the rods. It took many attempts and up to 15 minutes and dozens of attempts for some of them. In the end I just had to grip the rods in the centre with needle-nose pliers which on the tiny ones, mashed the centre of the thread.

Q) Are there any tricks to assembling the links ? How do you go about getting the eyes initially threaded onto the rods (it took me up to about 15 minutes to get some of them started) ? Do you use a pair of those butterfly-shaped link turning tools to turn them ?

:idea: If you do have any tips for initially assembly of links then perhaps "Ball Links 102" could be added to the collection.

3) Landing gear won't go togther.

Obviously I'm a nong because I couldn't find any way to get the landing gear frames onto the skids. They are both *way* too tight. With a lot of force and wiggling I can just barely get them started on the straight end of the skid.

Q) Do you lubricate them (would that be OK, i didn't coz I was concerned it might be bad practice) or maybe heat them in some hot water (the frames that is, not the skids) ? Any other hints on what I would have thought is the simplest step of the build ?

I hope it's OK to post these questions here, if not please tell me I should post in the future.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Old 06-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Q) Are there any tricks to assembling the links ? How do you go about getting the eyes initially threaded onto the rods (it took me up to about 15 minutes to get some of them started) ? Do you use a pair of those butterfly-shaped link turning tools to turn them ?
Yep they are a pain and your fingers get sore.... What I do is take an exacto knife and stick the tip of the blade in where the rod goes lightly and turn the blade to slightly bevel the hole. This helps in starting the links.

Quote:
Q) Do you lubricate them (would that be OK, i didn't coz I was concerned it might be bad practice) or maybe heat them in some hot water (the frames that is, not the skids) ? Any other hints on what I would have thought is the simplest step of the build ?
Yes they are tight! I just twist and twist and slowly work them on. It's a pain but can be done. If you want to loosen them up only way I see to do it is make a tube out of some sand paper and go to town.

Bob
Old 06-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #31 (permalink)

Default New to hobby

I was watching your videos and they are very informative. I wanted to know what backlash is? The tools you were using your very nice so were did you get them from? Thanks
theclaw09xw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hi Bob:

How's your wife's mom? Hope all is well.

kgfly:

If you are still having landing gear issues, try putting the skids in the freezed overnight -- just the skids, mind you. Then try sliding them in the next morning. I found the fridge shrinks them just enough to make it easier.
Herleman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herleman
Hi Bob:
kgfly:

If you are still having landing gear issues, try putting the skids in the freezed overnight -- just the skids, mind you. Then try sliding them in the next morning. I found the fridge shrinks them just enough to make it easier.
Hey, great idea thanks. I had thought of warming the struts to expland them but wasn't sure if they are thermoplastic and might get bent out of shape. Didn't think of the opposite, shrink the skids!

In the end I got them on at room temperature by careful application of brute force and twisting. It was mostly a matter of my not being willing to apply enough force on my first attempts. As a newbie I'm very wary of forcing parts together. In this case, with enough twisting and pushing I got it together OK. However next time I'll definitely try the freezer idea.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Folks... many have asked for a head / servo setup vid for HDE and I am truely sorry to not deliver YET...... I have gotten many requests so I decided to do a "quicky" on HDE setup. Call it an overview with tips. I really hope this helps people looking for tips. As always PM or post and I will help and answer questions. Later I promise I will complete this series.

The videos is at the bottom of the list on the first post or get it here:
HDE Build - Servo / head setup QUICKY
Trex XL HDE Quicky servo/head setup overview (19 Megs)

ENJOY!

Bob
Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #35 (permalink)

Arrr... someone tell Bob to *STOP* saying sorry......

He is helping us out... we should be saying sorry for hurrying him...
Blaze_au is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #36 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Isn't that the truth!
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Thanks guys but really I like to help anyone I can and I DO feel sorry when I cant.... Some of the people asking me for that vid have been NOT building thier heli's waiting for me to finish..... I dont want to blame them for rushing me either as I DO understand the need......

The funny part is I want to do TONS MORE but I just cant kick them out as fast as I would like (right now anyway due to family) and in fact the last few have had some verbal mistakes I want to fix those too.......

Anyway..... Dont worry about me saying sorry.... I am just that way... Group hug OK

Bob
Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #38 (permalink)

Servo vid greatly appreciated, however, keep the tail and belt tension vid in contention. Really need it. Remember, I said keep it in mind. I can wait. Really appreciate you Bob and can't wait for you to decide to spend your next vacation in GA. .

I know from personal experience it takes a lot to get motivated after losing a loved one. I lost my dad a few years back and now my mom just finished her last treatment after losing a lung to cancer and she's not doing well. So please give yourself time and don't feel obligated. You've done so much for us already.
zooland1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #39 (permalink)

Bob:

Is there anything different or weird that we should know about before setting up the HDE throttle curves in a Fut 7CHP?
Herleman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Nope... Set them the same as the SE as you probably have a 420L motor and you will need the curves to be up there to get good head speed. If you have a 430L again keep the same curves but run the 11T pinion since the head is all plastic (and the tail) and the tail is NOT slowed down.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in