Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My new DX7 arrived broken! Pics

Got it USPS yesterday, and excited, I unpacked and fiddled with it before work. I noticed when moving it around, it sounded like a little screw or something rolling around inside the case. I carefully removed the back cover, per the manual, to investigate. Besides, I wanted to reduce tension on the throttle adjustment anyway.

Once apart, I dumped out a little piece of broken plastic. Looking around, I found that it came from the side of the battery compartment, on the back cover. It appears that the box was dropped HARD, causing the pack to slam into the side of the compartment, and breaking the side loose, and a piece came off.

Well, this may not be a big deal, as you have to look inside the batt compartment to notice, and a little CA seemed to sure everything up that was loose, but how do I know something else isn't, or won't become, electronically jinxed because of this hard drop! I charged it and it turns on, but I really won't know if its sound until I build the heli, which may be a month or two down the road. Plus, it could be fine for a while, and later decide to take a dump. Besides, when I pay that much money for something, I don't want to see broken pieces!

I am not blaming Spektrum for this, nor the dealer, really. More than likely, USPS pulled an Ace Ventura on it during delivery. But, the box doesn't show any sign of damage.

Its just my luck, I guess. I'll probably have to live with it. I will, email or call Horizon about it, and see what they can do.

-CopTrex 450 SEv2 -Align 430XL, 35X, CC 10A, HS-65MG, GY401, S9257, AR6100e, Zippy-H 2200mAh

Last edited by Jimbo45; 02-25-2009 at 12:19 AM..
Jimbo45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Call Horizon they will take care of you.
they are very good about things like this.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

That really blows. Being that you're a month or two out from flying anyway, I'd do like Ceevee said and call Horizon for an exchange. No reason for that to be broken right out of the box and no reason for you to have to accept it in that condition.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Call Horizon. Do NOT email.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Call Horizon. Do NOT email.
Will do. Wonder if I could just take it there...I am less than 50 miles away! Might be a better turn around time!
-CopTrex 450 SEv2 -Align 430XL, 35X, CC 10A, HS-65MG, GY401, S9257, AR6100e, Zippy-H 2200mAh
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Called Horizon this morning. They indicated that the case would need replacement. The service rep was understanding, and agreed that it needed to be examined and tested before being put into use. They are going to email a call tag to me, tomorrow, to return it for service. Kudos, so far, for Spektrum's service and employees!

He said turn around time is typically 7-10 days. That's not bad. But with the bird on the way, I will be getting anxious to start building!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmmm......

I called yesterday morning about this, and didn't get the call tag emailed by the end of the day, so called again at that time. Was told it was be emailed first thing in the morning, today. Well, here it is the end of the business day, and no call tag. This sucks.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Check your SPAM folder, Jim.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Check your SPAM folder, Jim.
Good call, I tried that, too. I called them again tonight to ask about it. The rep looked up my request, and they had my email, and first name wrong. He was funny, and kind of sighed a lot. I got the feeling there was an ID of the previous rep, that took my info on the account, and this guy was tired of correcting his mistakes. At any rate, he corrected my info (I phoenetically spelled it this time), and said the tag would be re issued in a day or so.

Man, I know I don't really need the radio at this point in the build, but I want it back a fixed...the thing is soooo neat. Its my first computer TX, and I am looking forward to learning all about it.

I will reply to this thread with updates.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got one broken in the mail too. However, mine came brand new from ebay, and the seller (ebay store) sent it with no extra packaging, just the cardboard Spektrum box turned inside out. It took *forever* to get resolved, and the guy just sent me the case back off of another new TX. So now my serial numbers are probably inconsistent.

Aside from the lame packing, I think Spektrum should pack a little foam in the battery compartment because that battery can really move in there! I can see how dropping it from a pretty low height would cause the battery to crack the case. I now keep a piece of foam stuffed in one end of the compartment, along with the binding plug
ferret30 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret30 View Post
I got one broken in the mail too. However, mine came brand new from ebay, and the seller (ebay store) sent it with no extra packaging, just the cardboard Spektrum box turned inside out. It took *forever* to get resolved, and the guy just sent me the case back off of another new TX. So now my serial numbers are probably inconsistent.

Aside from the lame packing, I think Spektrum should pack a little foam in the battery compartment because that battery can really move in there! I can see how dropping it from a pretty low height would cause the battery to crack the case. I now keep a piece of foam stuffed in one end of the compartment, along with the binding plug
We must have bought from the same guy! That is how mine was shipped. Yep, I plan on putting some padding in there too, when I get it back. Good call on putting the bind plug back there.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still no call tag as promised, on three phone calls so far. I realize they are busy with the DX6 recall, and am trying to be patient. If I don't have it by Monday, I'm calling again, with a new attitude.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

No kidding!!! How hard is it to email a call tag? Most places (Progressive Insurance for instance) will email or fax you something right then and there while you're on the phone with them.........Horizon should be able to do the same. Maybe you could politely demand to stay on the phone with them until you receive the email. Or ask to speak with an office manager.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
We must have bought from the same guy! That is how mine was shipped. Yep, I plan on putting some padding in there too, when I get it back. Good call on putting the bind plug back there.
Was it rchobbyexperts? Why wouldn't someone (especially an authorized dealer) take the time to double box a $200+ radio?! I usually keep packaging around for expensive stuff, but the box was trashed.

You're probably lucky you sent it back to Horizon instead of dealing with the seller. It took over a month to get my problem straightened out, and the replacement case even had a crack in it. But it wasn't nearly as bad, so I just glued it.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Ferret,

Problem is he can't get a call tag from Horizon so he's still stuck with it.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Right. I'm saying that even with the delay so far, he's still probably better off than dealing with the seller if it's the same guy I bought from, and it sounds like it could be.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, thats where I got it.

I called Horizon again, about two hours ago (sigh). There were 64 calls ahead of me, and luckily they have a call back feature, which I received about an hour later.

They called me back and I explained my situation for the third time. The first call was on 2-25, and was promised a call tag on the 26th. This rep could detect my frustration, and I'm not sure if he was doing this out of spite, but he seriously sounded like he was on heavy painkillers, or had Tourettes syndrome. He was very hard to understand. After looking up my request and information, he called me Jason, like the second guy I talked to did, last week. My name is not Jason. He put me on hold for a while, and came back and told me it had been sent on the 26th, and I reminded him that as I told them last week, they had my email address totally wrong from the first call, and that tag had apparently went to an address, not even remotely close to mine.

He checked and they do have my email correct at this time, and said he would send a message to the administrator, who is in charge of emailing the call tags. He said to look for it in the next two days, just like the rep told me on Friday morning.

I guess I have no choice but to wait a few more days, and hope it shows up in my email. I understand how busy they must be with returns and call tags, in the middle of the DX6i recall, and I tried to keep this in mind, and I was as courteous as I could be.

I will need this TX before too long, so I can zero my servos on my heli build. I planned on ordering the servos and RX this week. This delay is just not necessary, and there is no telling how backed up they are fixing the DX6i's, so who knows when I will get it back. But, if they make it right in the end, I guess that is all I can ask for.

I will let you all know how it plays out...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
I will let you all know how it plays out...
It's ridiculous that you can't buy parts (like the rear case) because they don't want you to mess with it, even though they show you how to switch the throttle ratcheting piece from air to heli! If they would have just sent me a new case back for $20, on my own dime, I would have done it and the problem would have been solved!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got the call tag today. I will drop it off at UPS tomorrow morning. I can't imagine that it will get it back in less than two weeks, considering how busy they must be. Time will tell, and I will post when I get it back.

This is crumby timing too, I just got some more parts in for the build today, and have three more orders on the way. Oh well, maybe it is good to delay the purchase of the servos, gyro, batteries, and charger, so the account won't notice it as bad in several increments! $$$$$$$$$
Old 03-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

get ups involved. they might have insurance on it also. you might reep the benefits from both parties
neilg. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in