Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCX

mCX Blade (eFlite) Micro CX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy Templates - Revised

Hi all, new to the forum and I'm learning a lot!

I just got an MCX a couple of days ago and I'm loving it. I did notice though, that when I set the swashplate level with the frame by adjusting the servo links, it had a pronounced forward flight tendency. Assuming that was caused by forward weight bias, I tried flying without the canopy to reduce weight at the front of the heli. That helped, but resulted in a very slight rearward flight bias at neutral trim. I suppose I could have lightened the tail to suit and flown without a canopy, but I like the looks of a canopy of some sort.

My LHS mentioned that a paper canopy might be much lighter and that there were plans for MCX paper canopies floating around online, but I wasn't able to find any. The only site that I found that had them appears to be down. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so in the interest of "adding lightness" I designed a few of my own.

I printed the examples below on regular printer paper, but glossy paper will allow the colors to be much more intense. The cool thing is that if one gets screwed up or I want a different look I can just change the graphics and print another one. Other benefits are that it's lighter than stock which can't hurt, and it's FREE.

Adding the paper canopy balanced out my weight issues and it flies great! No fluttering or other weirdness. I get noticeably faster forward flight with the properly adjusted swashplate. Now I'm experimenting with tail stabilizers made from paper, but it's not going nearly as well as the canopy.

I've included photos of some designs I came up with below and links to download the printable files in pdf format. Make sure to print them out at actual size with no page scaling. I cut mine out with scissors, but an x-acto would probably be the best way to go. I found that a short crease in the paper right at the tip of the nose is all it needs to hold its shape. I also moved the upper rear mount o-rings in to add a bit of a taper to the body.

Enjoy!

You can download, print, and cut out any of the designs I came up with, or use the blank template to create your own design. Here are photos and links to download the templates:

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy #1

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy #2

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy #3

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy #4

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy #5

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy #6

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy #7

Here's a blank template in pdf and jpg format. This should be able to be dropped into any image-editing program and used as a background. Or it can be printed as-is and graphics added by hand.

Printable pdf: EZ-Lite MCX Paper Canopy Blank

Last edited by Kettletrigger; 03-08-2009 at 11:18 PM..
Kettletrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got one better! A guy you posts on here and rcgroups made this post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008915
It's sized for a larger Walkera 4G3 but if your creative you can rezize them to fit! Thats what I just did this morning. When I get it put together I'll post up a pick!
Jeeperfreek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperfreek View Post
I got one better! A guy you posts on here and rcgroups made this post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008915
It's sized for a larger Walkera 4G3 but if your creative you can rezize them to fit! Thats what I just did this morning. When I get it put together I'll post up a pick!
Wow, those are awesome! Definitely a cut above the one I designed. I'd love to see if you can scale it down and make it fit the MCX.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It needs a little fine tuning but looks cool!
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/P3040381.jpg
Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you tell if it's lighter or heavier than the stock canopy?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a scale (but might by the weekend, Harbor Freight has one on sale for $10 right now!) but I'd have to guess that any wieght differance isn't much either way. I made this one from just standard paper. After I glued it with super glue its pretty strong in front but still flimsy on the sides. I'll try some card stock I have laying around and see about makeing it longer on the bottom sides so it will touch the bottom two mounts that its not touching now. Or I could just cut the nose section longer so it touches the landing gear, like a larger heli canopy would.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Moved to main post.

Last edited by Kettletrigger; 03-06-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I added a few new designs in the main post; if anyone has ideas for other designs I'd like to hear them.

Jim
Old 03-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

kettletrigger, i really like the simple design of these, how do you change the graphics,i don't work much with pdf. thanks mark
schreydog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Mark...thanks.

I added a blank version of the template in jpg format up in the main post. You should be able to drop that into any image-editing software you have and use it as a background. Hope that helps!

Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettletrigger View Post
Can you tell if it's lighter or heavier than the stock canopy?
it is heavier than the canopy comes with the mcx

but the paper one kettle trigger made is lighter

Kettletrigger can i post a pic of my heli with one of your paper canopies on it??

Last edited by Bmcx_fan; 03-08-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Bmcx_fan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

kettletrigger, thanks very much for the blank, and excuse mycomputer skills but what would be the best way to create the actual size as the .jpeg seems bigger . sorry to bother with silly ?'s thanks mark
Old 03-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcx_fan View Post
it is lighter than the canopy comes with the mcx

Kettletrigger can i post a pic of my heli with one of your paper canopies on it??
Hi Bmcx_fan,

Yes, please do!

Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreydog View Post
kettletrigger, thanks very much for the blank, and excuse mycomputer skills but what would be the best way to create the actual size as the .jpeg seems bigger . sorry to bother with silly ?'s thanks mark
Hi Mark, not a silly question at all.

1. Try downloading the jpg again. I made a mistake and originally posted it as a giant 72dpi image. It's now formatted at 300dpi and will print at actual size. At least it should.

2. If you're still having problems with the jpg, I've added a pdf of the blank template too. Try importing that into your image editing software and let me know if it goes any easier.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

here are the first batch of photos

i will get some pics of it in the air soon
and hopefully some of the other canopies

great job Kettletrigger
Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bcmx_fan,

Looks great! Have you noticed a change in how it flies, or if you're getting longer flight times?

I just updated the design of canopy #1 to better match the stock graphics in case anyone wants to stick with more of a "stock" look.

If you decide to print and make any of the other designs, please post pics!

Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

kettle trigger, thanks for the help, now i will try to give you some good info. I bought a pair of common sense batteries and they make a huge difference in flight time and performance don't bother with the tenergy's there is no comparison. I can see absolutely no reason to do any mods if tou fly this batterie eexcept possibly trying to shed some weight. now backto the proper thread, i want once again thank you and i will post pics. tanks again mark
Old 03-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
kettle trigger, thanks for the help, now i will try to give you some good info. I bought a pair of common sense batteries and they make a huge difference in flight time and performance don't bother with the tenergy's there is no comparison. I can see absolutely no reason to do any mods if tou fly this batterie eexcept possibly trying to shed some weight. now backto the proper thread, i want once again thank you and i will post pics. tanks again mark
this is not about reducing weight it is about looks now kettletrigger i am going to fly now since it is raining
Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcx_fan View Post
this is not about reducing weight it is about looks now kettletrigger i am going to fly now since it is raining
bmx fan, i was just trying to give back a little tid bit to kettle trigger and did return to the thread and i in tend to post some pics as well sorry mark
Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
bmx fan, i was just trying to give back a little tid bit to kettle trigger and did return to the thread and i in tend to post some pics as well sorry mark
who is mark i am Ian

Tags
canopy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in