Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

Old 06-03-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
GGoodrum
Registered Users

Default Logo 10 Carbon with a "mid-size" Askman mount...

Here's some shots of my converted Logo 10 Carbon, which had been setup for hard 3D, with a NM 1910-1.5Y and a 12s-2100 Pro Lite setup. I'm still using the 1910-1.5Y but I switched pinions (from 15T to 20T, I think...) and instead of the three 4s-2100 packs I'm now using this with a single eMoli 8s-3000 pack. The only other change I made was swapping out the lightweight L10 3D paddles for a set of standard Raptor black paddles.

Here's a few shots we took last weekend at our field:

I love the Askman mounts. Much lighter,and less complicated than some of the others I've played with. I have three now. This one is the "mid-size". I have a larger one that will go on one of the Raptors, and a smaller one that will be used with a stretched QJ ep-8.

I'll use this Logo 10 for most of the AP stuff I'm currently doing (mostly local real estate shots for my wife's tennis buddies, most of whom are real estate brokers/agents...), but sometimes even something as small as a Logo 10 is too bug for some neighborhoods. That's where the ep-8 will work well, I think. I thought about a T-Rex, but they're just too damn small for my aging eyes. I'll mainly use the Raptor for video shoots, with a HD camcorder.

Anyway, fun stuff!

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
AZ ChopperCam
Registered Users

lookind damn good Gary! I really like the AtoA shot with the sailplane.

BTW, I got my order for my Raptor conversion from you. Got the Hacker installed last night. Should be flying epower within a week or so! I'm stoked!
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
GGoodrum
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes, I can't wait to see how that works. I'm predicting you won't ever go back to slimer-based AP.

www.tppacks.com
Old 06-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
marcuskeeler
Registered Users

That's a great rig, awesome

I have a newbie question. I'm having lessons at the moment and the buddy-wire-connected instructor says that I drop the tail too much at height. I'd love to know how you guys keep your ships on the level at extreme heights, such as in the image you show us above Gary.
Do you use those funky self levelling systems?

Great work
Marcus
Old 06-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
AZ ChopperCam
Registered Users

Hi Marcus,

can't speak for Gary as I'm not sure if he uses an auto pilot system but I don't (yet) and it comes down to just lots of practice.

Keep working with your instructor and build up your hours. Perception and orientation come with experience. Of course experience will only take you so far. For altitudes of 500'+ AGL it sure helps (if not necessary) to use an auto pilot like the AP2000i or if you have lots of $$$, the Carvec.
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
marcuskeeler
Registered Users

Does an auto pilot augment the pilots input or do you switch it in to take full hover control ?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
marcuskeeler
Registered Users

Scratch that last question, I've been digging around and learnt about what they do, and don't, do.

What do you guys think of this particular item which seems to be available through a number of dealers around the globe

http://helibits.com/customer/product...18&cat=0&page=
Old 06-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
GGoodrum
Registered Users

I'd be leary of the CoPilot. I had tried one in a Logo 10 a couple of times and in both cases there were massive glitches that locked the controls for several seconds, long enough to fly right into the ground. The problem, in my opinion, is that the basic receiver is a single conversion FM variant. I won't use anything that isn't PCM-based anymore, although I'm pretty happy so far with the Sprektrum 2.4GHz stuff.

As for stability systems, there is a widget called V-Stabi a German company developed that is basically a 3-axis computerized stabilization system that allows flybarless operation. While that is great for awesome 3D performance, you can also setup the system to be very stable, like hands off. Mikado will start selling this system in another month, or so.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 06-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
marcuskeeler
Registered Users

Hi Gary.
It's my understanding from the text that there is no receiver inside that particular unit, you utilise your own receiver.
Am I missing something?
Marcus
Old 06-04-2006, 09:16 AM   #10
MarkWebber
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Marcus

With that one, you do use your own receiver. Some that have been using it are still complaining of glitching and poor performance. Check out spartan-rc.com. They are made right in your back yard
Old 06-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
GGoodrum
Registered Users

The CoPilot has the integral FM receiver, which is too bad. The original version didn't, but it couldn't be used with a collective pitch model.

The V-Stabi system is independent of the receiver, which is the way it should be.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com