Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC

Spartan RC Spartan RC - Quark, DS760 Gyros and other Spartan RC Electronics Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #101 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
* Servo tester - Was already in my list.

* Deadband test - Was not in my list because the DataPod can't do it automatically. It does not have built in current measurement ability and thus it can't see when the motor starts to draw power. I suppose it could be done manually by modulating the pulse between two positions and manually increasing the gap until the motor starts to buzz.
There are two programmable pins offering the following:

* Digital input or output on both pins
* Programmable pull-ups or pull-downs on both pins
* RS232 transmit, receive or bi-directional on both pins
* Hardware I2C bus master or slave
* Hardware PWM capture or generation on both pins
* Hardware event (time capture) on both pins
* Interrupt from either pin
* Hardware/switched loop-back from one pin to the other
* Aprox 500mA power from USB switchable under software control

-Angelos
Yeah a deadband measurement of both the Tx/Rx and servos would be great, would allow ppl to adjust the deadband setttings of the gyros and FBL units. A simple up/down counter that oscillates between the two steps is more than enough. As soon as the user sees the servo moving they just read the value off the screen.

A future upgrade could include an I2C based ADC that reads a hall sensor for current measurements. Being able to measure servo speed and current consumption is always something of interest.

Back to the latency measurement What if part of the latency test was to connect a servo to push a microswitch (interrupt based), this would measure the latency of the servo, a very crude de-embedding.
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My intention is to measure time from stick movement to change on the RX output.
So the interesting bit will be getting an electrical indication of stick movement ahead of the mixing logic etc. Using the PWM (input or output could be used, but thinking about it, output would be easier as you could use a standard SIM cable to 3.5mm jack adaptor) you'll at least be able to measure the transmission and rx latency.

Quote:
The DataPod can read SP, SBUS, Spekrum sat and produce a signal suitable to be fed to the sim's dongle.
Ah, I thought you meant to use the USB signal, but if you plan to convert, say, Spektrum sat to PWM, that would be cool.

Quote:
Here are the hardware capabilities... it may inspire new ideas. There are two programmable pins offering the following:

* Digital input or output on both pins
* Programmable pull-ups or pull-downs on both pins
* RS232 transmit, receive or bi-directional on both pins
* Hardware I2C bus master or slave
* Hardware PWM capture or generation on both pins
* Hardware event (time capture) on both pins
* Interrupt from either pin
* Hardware/switched loop-back from one pin to the other
* Aprox 500mA power from USB switchable under software control
So in essence, you can, in quite a flexible manner:
  • Monitor
  • Control
  • Display

How about logging?

I've been thinking about the extra functionality you could add to your and governor products. Logging would enable you to record RPM (ie governor performance) over a flight. Only you will know the details of your gyro control algorithms, but is there anything that the gyro could report about it's operation that would aid perfect setup? For example, would you be able to report information about vibration experienced during a flight. Once vibration and other sources of noise are fixed, the gyro knows exactly what the heli is doing, but may not be setup correctly to control it; so would you be able to have a mode where, for example, you fly with the DataPod attached, perform some full speed piros and hard stops in both directions, and have the DataPod report back what adjustments it thinks are needed to match what it has observed in the dynamic response of the heli as a whole? This would help with things like setting the ball position on the servo arm as well as tweaking all the programmable options. You may even be able to diagnose servos on their way out.

Steve
Blackout 330/OpenPilot Revo with FatShark 600mW VTX, Futaba 8FG 2.4GHz
Steve Evans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about monitoring jitter in individual servo connections? Clearly you'd expect the PWM signal to a servo to change, but if a heli is suffering from electric issues (ESC noise, static etc) you may be able to detect that as single PWM cycle anomalies.

Logging functionality in the DataPod has lots of possibilities, especially with the ability to bolt on an assortment of I2C attached instrumentation!

Steve
Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #104 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Has anyone else noticed the DataPod advertising here on HF yet
Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Connection cables are included but not pictured.

-Angelos
Hi Angelos,

With reference to connection type 'B' shown above, this looks like you wouldn't need an SLX adaptor to connect to the Quark, which is good on one hand, but this looks like you'll need to unplug the gain (red) plug from the rx in order to plug in the DataPod. I guess one could install two extention leads from rx and Quark gain, and connect them with a bridging link when the DataPod is not in use. Would I be correct in thinking that if you still used the SLX, you could leave that on the heli and just plug in the DataPod to that with a single lead or would you need two still?

I may have misunderstood the functionality of the SLX adaptor, but is that meant to be installed permanently, and does it interrupt the connection from rx to Quark gain when a USB adaptor (or the DataPod) is plugged in?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

> Would I be correct in thinking that if you still used the SLX, you could leave that on the heli and just plug in the DataPod to that with a single lead or would you need two still?

Theoretically it is possible but it will need to be coded in the DataPod software as an alternative way to connect to the Quark.

> I may have misunderstood the functionality of the SLX adaptor, but is that meant to be installed permanently, and does it interrupt the connection from rx to Quark gain when a USB adaptor (or the DataPod) is plugged in?

It could be intalled permanenly; we recommend that it is left only the heli while you are testing different settings and removed at the end of the day. Yes it interrupts the connection from the RX when it sees data from the Flash-Link side. Returns to the RX after a couple seconds of innactivity. Also it combines the TXD and RXD lines of the Flash-Link to a bi-directional signal towards the gyro.

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a (might be stupid) question, since the datapod could be used to upgrade & config quark/ds760, does this mean it deprecates the old Flash-Link plus the slx adaptor?

I'm considering buy the datapod and sell the Flash-Link

and... did anyone mentioned that the transparent case looks way better than the black one!

Last edited by ChibiHeli; 09-21-2010 at 07:24 AM..
ChibiHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes the DataPod is in effect the new version of the FlashLink. However the PC software needs to be updated to work with the DataPod so don't rush to sell you FlahLink before you confirm everything works as before.

-Angelos

Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

thx for the reply, fingers crossed
ChibiHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh Dear!!!!!

Perhaps a rethink on the name?

Steve
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm...most of my helis are pod and boom construction.

Honestly this sort of garbage (link above) is rediculous. Just because they flood the global market with their products therefore making the word well known as reference gives them no right to claim ownership of a generic word: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pod

Anyway...maybe not worth the hassle for the sake of three letters.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All Apple has achieved is give Sector Labs lots of free media publicity. I hope they ask us to stop using the word "pod" too.

-Angelos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in