Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default JR G770 3D Confusion...........

First let me explain that I've spent well over 14 hours reading and watching every bit of information on setting this gyro up and I'm still confused about a few simple facts. When watching Bob's videos he explains that on his heli there was 7 degrees of pitch built into the tail with the arm at 90 degrees and I believe he stated that the Trex 600 may not be like that. It's not as we all know but yet the videos and numerous posts tell us to set the arm at 90 degrees and center the pitch slider which is zero pitch on the 600 Trex. My question on this point is how is the heli not going to spin out of control with zero pitch at center stick when powered up? Yes, I am a GY401 guy and when you set them up, you start up in rate mode and then adjust the control rod length until it holds nose straight and then flip it three times into HH mode and your done. On this gyro, as far as I can tell, that sequence is certainly not explained and I'm not about to power up my 600 Nitro to watch it spin itself into blade replacements. Obviously I'm not understanding something here and could use some much needed help. After hours of grasping the 1.44 calculations and where they apply, I'm still even foggy on setting the gain correct between end points and gyro sense, so I guess I get to look forward to going home and watching hours of videos all over again. If anyone can pm me a simplified step by step method to setting this gyro up on a DX7 I'm willing to pay for the time and information as long as it's reasonable. It just amazes me how I've built 10 helicopters in less than 8-10 hours and yet I have to spend two weeks to figure out one new brand of gyro.
Respectfully,
Ed
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You use rate mode only to set the heli up mechanically, after you get 90 degrees and full travel both sides with no binding then just go to HH mode, adjust your gain ( gyro menu ), expo ( usually around 50 ), DR ( usually around 70 ) and you are good to go... This is an excellent servo and I don't know why people seems to get in trouble with it.. I am using it in my first heli ever ( 450 SE V2 , only couple of months into RC helis ) and it's not complicated at all... Great performance...
- FUTABA 10C
CHAMO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In HH it senses when it starts to piro during spool up and then adjusts the tail blade pitch. Just trust it and spool'er up
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I never have used a rate mode setup with any gyro.... I've used rate to put the pitch slider where I want it at center rudder stick, and to set the travel limits. That's it.

If the gyro is in HH mode the heli is not going to spin out of control upon spoolup. You may have a slow drift but that's going to be the extent of it.

Did you find the long thread here about the 770? I can grab a link if you didn't know about it. It's MANY pages long.
Bill - RWMAA #1009, AMA #805853

fiveoboy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default So..............

Where exactly is Rate Mode on the G770 3D? Seriously guys, I'm willing to send a reasonable paypal payment to anyone that can walk me through the set up of a G770 3D on a Trex 600 Nitro with a DX7 Transmitter. At this point I'm seriously thinking about throwing this thing in the river and buying another 401 but I've read so much about them being so superior to the GY401 that I'm hoping somebody will share the answers with me.
Respectfully,
Ed
Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Depends on how you're setting the gain. If you're using the gear channel then one side of the channel is heading hold, the other side is rate(you switch between HH and rate with the gear switch).

Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is another fairly large thread:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...highlight=g770

Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok its not hard. I recommend you dont set-up rate mode...are you ever going to fly it on rate mode?...what's the point.
What you do, like me, plug the gain wire into to gear channel, go into your Tx to the "Input select" screen, put the Aux2 to "INH" and put the gear to "GYRO".
Now go into "GYRO SENS" menu, make sure it says "AUTO" underneath that.
Go down to where it says "RATE". make the value for postion "0" 49. So you are now in rate mode, make sure the servo horn is 90 to the servo (dont use sub-trim) now you can either move the servo up or down the boom or adjust the length of the pushrod so you have exactly 0 deg of pitch, then once you have done that put the value of position "0" up above 50 for HH mode, I have mine at 61 for my trex 500. If you want different gain settings for different flight modes you can change them with the "F.MODE" number just next to the Rate settings. I have 2% higher gain on throttle hold because the headspeed will be lower with throttle hold on.

I hope that makes sense
legine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ed, if you have the instructions for the 770 on paper. I'll help you down at the club field. I'm a futaba GY series user so I'm not familiar with the 770 but with the instructions it should be a cakewalk. After all its only a helicopter, nothing unusual to me.
BTW, you don't need to do the rate mode trim adjustments with the GY series gyros unless you plan on using rate mode in-flite.I'm sure that applies to all HH gyros. I'll show you a very easy way to set em up real fast, easy as pie, and holds the tail rock solid.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Set it up just like you would set up a 401. Watch the 401 video with the 450 as a rough guide. Use the JR paperwork examples as a guide for gain and servo arm length.

The only difference would be to max out your end points on your rudder channel. (This isn't even really necessary, but what JR recommends. It's a good idea, but it adds a little complexity) Then set D/R to ~75% to start out (if you don't use D/R to drop them back down, your piro rate will be crazy fast!). When you fly it, adjust the endpoints to make piro rates equal, and you're done.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 770 doesn't set up exactly like a 401.

But it isn't a big deal. I find that the gain numbers are much loweron the 770. So where, using end points, I might fly a 401 at 40% gain, on the 770, I am down around 15 - 20.

And the 770 likes the limit to be very high, so shorter shaft to ball distance on the servo works best.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in