Tired of Notched Bearings? The Solution - KDE Direct Thrusted Bearing Blocks - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a receiver tray, it too was 38mm, 1mm narrower than the original.
KDE did refund when I returned it.
pgrbff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have used the thrusted bearing blocks for a few weeks and the quality is very very good.

I don't have the receiver tray, so I don't have experience with different widths.
I have all the other KDE upgrades and they fit well.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've also bought the entire KDE upgrade package and didn't notice any problems with the completed build.

Some of the sizes were off from the original parts (very minor), but I didnít need any spacers or adjustments to get them on the bird. Hell I must say with these upgrades the looks are just bad a$$. Hell it does feel like a tank, although I know better than to treat it like one.
Loki is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default the solution

My battery tray was also 1mm too narrow ,i measured it.Everything else fit good ,i would like to see it the right dimension though.I have your bottom plates on all 3 of my helis so its not like im knocking them.Maybe you just got a bad batch,because you definitely didnt loose that much from polishing.Again not knocking you but somewhat odd as all the other things i have bought have fit really well.

Last edited by helitom; 05-16-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
helitom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

It does seem a shame to produce what looks like a very well engineered product, only to have them vary in width so much.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegerator View Post

I've run a series of measurements on the bottom brackets, battery mounts, and receiver mounts and overall, there is a slight variation in width due to the polishing processes used after CNC machining to produce the high-quality finish of the KDE Direct brand. Overall, the average widths are:

Bottom Brackets: 39.0mm
Battery Mounts: 38.5mm
Receiver Mounts: 38.6mm

Overall, there is a 0.5mm discrepancy (< 0.020") difference between parts, which is far less than the tolerance throughout the carbon frames and other components. If you'd like, take measurements of the stock Align plastic components and you'll find tolerance much larger than CNC machining/polishing.
Hey Keg,
I would much prefer the critical dimensions (like those that set frame spacing) to be within 0.1mm. I would think your CNC process can certainly hold that. Polishing is nice but I'd reserve its use for cosmetic areas, not those that mate to other parts. Give me a clean sharp mating surface and tight tolerances over shiny any day.
Just my 0.2mm
raylepper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's no problem, I've already corrected the discrepancy in machining and future production runs will be held to 39.0 mm across the board to make all purchasers happy. The products will be machined to over-tolerance sizes and then polished to 39.0mm to maintain the tight tolerances and surface finish that holds the KDE Direct brand above the others.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sweeeet.
raylepper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tired of notched bearings

What can those of us that already have them do?Can we swap them once the new batch is done?That would be fine with me.Nice job by the way correcting the problem so quickly all r/c companies should learn from this,great way to treat customers!!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ijust ordered a full set for the 450 pro and the bearing and anti-rotation bracket for my 500. I had already bought the other 500 parts and they fit like a glove, makes the heli feel so solid. These are great upgrades and I thank you Kevin. My order is Mark from Long Island.
HeliNY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliNY View Post
Ijust ordered a full set for the 450 pro and the bearing and anti-rotation bracket for my 500. I had already bought the other 500 parts and they fit like a glove, makes the heli feel so solid. These are great upgrades and I thank you Kevin. My order is Mark from Long Island.
I'm glad you are enjoying the upgrades, thanks for the support of the KDE Direct brand!

Just as a quick note, my name is Patrick and I'm the owner/designer of the company. Kevin is the owner of K2 Heli, which is a different upgrade company, and he makes some great upgrades for Align helicopters as well. Most people confuse us, as Finless was kind enough to do a review video of both of our products together, in which Kevin is seen throughout the video.

Anyways, thanks for the update and enjoy the flying! I'm about to head out and get some stick time myself...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finless just made a great review video of the full TREX 500 Aluminum Upgrade XKit, which contains all the KDE Direct upgrades including the Thrusted Bearing Blocks. I've received many questions on the proper install and purpose of the thrust bearings in the blocks, and Bob does a great job answering these questions for you! Check it out at:

Thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=141298

Direct: http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...ame=kde500.wmv

The series reviews his build of the TREX 500 Nitro and more exciting videos are to come in the near future.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tired of notched bearings

you never answered my question about the battery trays that where to narrow.will you swap those of us that dont like the narrow width for the new correct width ones?again great response on the issue.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Helitom,

I apologize for missing the question. I cannot offer a direct swap for the trays, as I'm continually making changes to all parts each month (based on customer feedback) to make all upgrades as perfect as I can, and I can't afford to swap parts each time this occurs. Align and others follow the same guideline, as evident in all the -01, -02 parts released over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helitom View Post
you never answered my question about the battery trays that where to narrow.will you swap those of us that dont like the narrow width for the new correct width ones?again great response on the issue.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Patrick, I sent you a PM asking about making thrusted bearing blocks for the RotorWorkz HFX frames.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bearings fall out

I just purchased a set of the thrusted bearing blocks for the -500. I assembled and greased the thrust bearings per the instructions on KDE's website. I did not use any loctite on the outer race of the axial bearings as per the instructions. However, when either of the bearing blocks are turned facing downward, the radial (and consequently the thrust) bearings fall out of the bearing block.

What is up with this? I contacted Patrick and was told that the design is such that the radial bearing can float in the housing. That sounds reasonable so that with the spacer mating the inner race of the radial bearing against the thrust bearing, there should be no load between the inner and outer race of the radial bearing. I can see that this should lead to increased bearing life. What I am seeing is that the radial bearing is spinning in the bearing block when the motor is run. In addition, it has already galled (scratched) the inside of the bearing block. The spinning outer race can't lead to increased bearing life.

With the use of the spacer between the thrust bearing and the radial bearing, if one was used to isolate the opposite edge of the inner race against the main gear and the collet on the upper bearing block, then the bearings could be a very slight interference fit (heat up the aluminum block and put the radial bearing in the freezer) so they could be assembled and there would be no spinning of the outer race of the radial bearing.

Am I missing something here? As it stands now, I have gone back to the original Align bearing blocks.

Last edited by rcflyerheli; 05-20-2010 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: typo
rcflyerheli is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default blocks

I actually just very carefully welded the race to the block, perfect fit now! Totally kidding. My bearings were tight enough that just the tiny bit of grease on them held it in place unless it was bumped pretty hard on the bench before the shaft went in. While I was re-assembling the rest of the heli I just ran a zip tie through both blocks and out the side to keep it all in there. Maybe you just got a bad set of blocks? My bearings weren't a "tight" fit, they will come out if I whack the block or push the shaft through too quickly.
matthewspokane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been very tempted to replace the bearing blocks on my stock 500, but the machining tolerances on erly KDE parts were not the best, I sent the parts I bought back. I would have hoped that the machining had improved by now.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

No wacking required here. All I have to do is face the bearing block down and the bearings fall out.
rcflyerheli is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

tired a set of these , in 500 , way better than the kit ones very good fit & smooth running , easy fit & as rcflyerheli said thay just fall out if needed .

jim
jimheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.