Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob,to be honest i watch all your vids.Just wondered if you had any planned for the future.kits or equip.
Bail Out is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can the T-rex CF kit be used for this conversion instead of the ESP kit? Just would like to due to me having the CF instead. Thanks in advance.
mini73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

the ESP kit comes with CF frames. The ESP kit is a very good value for the price, unless you don't like the servos that comes with it. You can also purchase the ESP kit without the motor and ESC from FlyHelirus.com if you prefer not to have those components. Hope this is helpful.

FlightAddict
FlightAddict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Not that I have noticed. You put the RX in the same place I did?

Bob
Hey bob, do you think the conversion kit fit on EXI 500 cf and maybe use a os 32 instead? You should have heard of the heli by now its very comon on clones of trex. Here how it look if you never seen it. http://www.xheli.com/exi500.html Let me know. I baught the heli when it was on sale for 119. Some time it was over 200 dollars. Regular price is 139.00
Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #85 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Looking at it, I honestly dont see why not! The Nitro conversion does not mod the frames much and this looks close enough that there should be no problems with using it for the conversion... Well thats my opinion anyway!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Looking at it, I honestly dont see why not! The Nitro conversion does not mod the frames much and this looks close enough that there should be no problems with using it for the conversion... Well thats my opinion anyway!

Bob
Thank you for you're honest opinion for you being a guy building name brands and being offer brand name arf for reviews. Thanks. Something to look forward for next year. Do you think you gain more performance running a 30 size engine on a 500 size heli comapre flying a 30 size heli?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

What do you guys thinking about trex 500 conversion using .18 size engine...

I like this over flyheliRus conversion since this one the engine is on the inside..

With .18 engine will it has enough power to do intermediate 3D?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trex500nitor.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	127792  
slumberjer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumberjer View Post
What do you guys thinking about trex 500 conversion using .18 size engine...

I like this over flyheliRus conversion since this one the engine is on the inside..

With .18 engine will it has enough power to do intermediate 3D?
I will say, NO!!! Why? I have a Smartech Pegasus heli which is a 500 size and uses
a 18 size engine. My pegasus is not a 3d machine, does not have the balls. So if
I install a os 18 on my pegasus, eh might have a bit more power for some 3d if you're lucky.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996579 heres my thread of the pegasus.

Anyways I will be doing a conversion on a exi 500 carbon fiber heli which the heli is sold for
139 dollars. But this might be in spring or summer.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #89 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

No way a .18 will be enough to power this. The OS .37 I am using would be as low as I would go for 3D.

Bob
Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

No way of what? I think no way it will not do 3d as good as os 37. 18 engine would be to weak for doing some strong 3d.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #91 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Thats what I said! NO WAY to the .18 sized motor!

The OS .37 I have in mine is in my opinion the smallest you should go! In fact if they could jam a .45 in this thing I would be happier!

Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

The OS .37 I have in mine is in my opinion the smallest you should go! In fact if they could jam a .45 in this thing I would be happier!

Bob
Would be nice putting a toki 40 in it. But toki isn't realible as os.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob- did you ever make an official flight report?

There isn't anything under the first post...

Mike

Hope This:
You Aren't Inverted
MKlinkerRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #94 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Hmmm.... yes I did post a video of me flying it but I guess I forgot to add it to this post. It's somewhere! I will see if I can find it.

Bob
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hmmm.... yes I did post a video of me flying it but I guess I forgot to add it to this post. It's somewhere! I will see if I can find it.

Bob
Alright Thanks Finless!

Mine should be ready for break in this week.

Mike

Hope This:
You Aren't Inverted
MKlinkerRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Bob
The smaller motors .18/.15 used on this size machine (425 mm blade heli) are not ringed heli motors like the OS 37. These smaller motors are mostly used on rc cars and are usually ABC construction. These smaller car motors produce similar power to the OS 37 but must run at a much higher rpm to do so. The practical rpm on the OS 37 is around 18K the little car motors run in excess of 40K rpm. That being said while the smaller motors produce very good power for there mass they need rebuilds much more often than ringed motors, the smaller motors are also more finincky to tune. Heres a recent video of the walkera heli that swings 425mm blades and is powered by a .15 motor, the auw of this machine is listed at 2.42 lbs.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=194232

shawn
Shawn Behrens is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #97 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Displacement is displacement and I know a none ringed interference motor can produce more power but .18 to .37... Sorry I just don't see how. Someone would have to "show me" that before I would believe it...

Bob
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

While I too am a firm believer in the "no replacement for displacement" mentality, these little car motors are quite powerful little buggers.

OS engines rates
.18 (ABC car motor) 1.8 HP @ 29k rpm
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2110.html
vs
.37 (ringed heli motor) 1.4 HP @ 18k rpm
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1945.html

Granted the walkera comes with a .15 (ABC car motor) the os .18 motors were designed to fit in the same car applications that could fit the .15 motors if memory serves me. That's why I chose the more powerful .18 motor to compare the .37 to. Another interesting aspect of the comparison is the .18 motor is 25% lighter than the .37 not to mention that car motors tend to run lighter pipes too.

Now for the downside to these ABC car motors. The ABC motors require rebuilds much more often than ringed motors. On top of that the rebuilds require new pistons, liners, and bearings which is quite expensive vs buying a ring and new rear bearing on a ringed motor. Another issue as previously mentioned these small motors tend to be more finiky to tune. In my experience the OS car motors were not that hard to tune properly compared to cheap brand xyz car motors that come with rtr models (usually this was due to the cheaper motors had junky carbs).

Both this trex 500/.37 nitro conversion and the little walkera look as though they could be fun little machines so long as you aren't expecting 90 power.

shawn
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmon View Post
The smaller motors .18/.15 used on this size machine (425 mm blade heli) are not ringed heli motors like the OS 37. These smaller motors are mostly used on rc cars and are usually ABC construction. These smaller car motors produce similar power to the OS 37 but must run at a much higher rpm to do so. The practical rpm on the OS 37 is around 18K the little car motors run in excess of 40K rpm. That being said while the smaller motors produce very good power for there mass they need rebuilds much more often than ringed motors, the smaller motors are also more finincky to tune. Heres a recent video of the walkera heli that swings 425mm blades and is powered by a .15 motor, the auw of this machine is listed at 2.42 lbs.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=194232

shawn
On smaller engine the torq is less then bigger engine so smaller engine when spinning those blade will be slower. I do have a smartech pegasus that came with a 18 size engine which is bigger heli then 500 yet
spinning same size blades. Anyways you're like comparing a os 10la which is 18,000 rpm and
a cox sure start 049 that is also 18,000 if you put both on a plane that is meant for 10 size engine, i dare you put that 049 on it, it wont have enough torq to pull in that rpm

this goes to shawn
Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With correct gearing and governor I would think the little motor motor would feel pretty good power wise. I do agree with Jim about the torque being an important part of the equation and that the .37 would deal with poor collective management better than the little motor. Keep in mind I am not suggesting this little motor would work in the trex conversion, that would be way to much to ask of it. The walkera though if you belive the specs comes in around a full pound lighter than the trex500/.37 conversion.

Sorry if I missed it early on in this thread but what is the AUW of the trex 500 with the .37 conversion?

shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in