Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align DS520 instead of DS420 for tail wags ?

Hello all !

As a lot of owners, my T250 wags and has not a hard tail when hard fliing.

I have the standard DS420 for the tail. A lot of people said me to "upgrade" to a DS520 which is more powerful.

Is it the solution ?

Cheers,
Franck
Kikinou81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried lowering the BEC voltage to 5.5 volts? That sometimes helps with the wagging.
Besen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My ESC has the default parameters i.e 5.5V.

Lowering to 5.0v could help me ?

Franck
Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My default parameters on the esc was 6V . I changed mine to 5.5V

Anthony
Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the 420 isn't a bad servo.

Check how tight your belt is. If it's too snug, that'll cause tail vibration (not really "wag", it's faster than that)

beyond that, there's a bunch of "wag solution" threads on here. reading those helped me tune mine...now that tail is right where it should be.
- FBL UH-1 Huey | Thunder Tiger kit with RJX head & Skookum 720 - Current project
- JR 9303 TX
ttruttmann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hello !

I solved my problem yesterday ! I just had some thread lock on the surface of the "Colar A" !

Not enought to completely block the slider but sufficient to unsettle !

Now, my tail is solid with the DS420... which is clearly not a bad servo ;-)

I ordered a DS520 for nothing ;-(

Happy !

Cheers,
Franck
Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikinou81 View Post

I ordered a DS520 for nothing ;-(

Happy !

Cheers,
Franck
Just send it on down to me in Oz, and then it wont have been for nothing!

Glad you sorted it out, they are great fun to fly.

Peter
peterdk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
pos
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikinou81 View Post
Hello all !

As a lot of owners, my T250 wags and has not a hard tail when hard fliing.

I have the standard DS420 for the tail. A lot of people said me to "upgrade" to a DS520 which is more powerful.

Is it the solution ?

Cheers,
Franck
Hi

According to Spartan the DS420 is a better servo than DS520 (but less torque). See: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/servodb/servo.php

Do however don't know why and how they rate the servos. So the reason for a DS520 could as far as I can see only be a benefit if you want a stronger servo. Otherwise the DS420 is rated both as a better (and lighter) servo. If the torque is the reason.... add the chinese weights or swap to the new tail blade grips and continue with the DS420. A DS520 will ( I assume) also change the CGT.

/Per-Olov
pos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

1) I made my own ďchinese weightsĒ for the tail by using the nut ends of EZ Connectors and putting them through longer screws used to secure the tail blades. With the Nuts as added weight, it perfectly balanced the tennis raquet effect of the unweighted tail grips. After making adjustment, I was able to move the tail pitch slider (with or without the tail blades) easily without much force and when I let go of the pushrod, it would stay in place instead of move back to the center. The basically cures the high-torque needed to move the original tail slider due to design flaws. 2) I substituted the Align DS420 with a DS520 servo. Iím not sure if the 520 is needed after my fix above since I made the changes at the same time but the 520 definitely packs a bigger punch in terms of torque delivered to the tail slider.
As a result of the above changes, My GYRO Sensitivity which was previously at 60% is now up to 70%. I am probably also able to move it up to 75% without getting much wag but since I have changed my pinion from 15T to 16T now, I had to dial it back a little to prevent tail wag.
The Heli now feels locked in. I have yet to test full collective climb outs but I have a feeling the tail will hold this time round. Hereís to having more enjoyable flights rather than an expensive paper weight
Iíve also ordered a set of new tail grips from Align which comes with the counter weights. Iíll put them on to see if they perform as well as my mod but I doubt it since Iíve seen a video on YouTube which shows that the weights on the new tail grips are still not heavy enough to counter the tennis raquet effect. We shall seeÖ
UPDATE Ė 4 July 2009 : Iíve installed the new tail grips from Align (which comes with the larger screw heads Ė thus new allen screwdriver is needed), and true enough, the weights on them does not make a big enough difference. As such I decided to put on my mod onto the tail which seems to even improve it more. Pls refer to the pictures below to see how Iíve done it.
bookmarkmaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

bookmarkmaster: there are even newer "upgrade" Align weighted tail grips that have double the weight. Also, you didn't include the photos?
rotary65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
Hi

According to Spartan the DS420 is a better servo than DS520 (but less torque). See: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/servodb/servo.php

Do however don't know why and how they rate the servos. So the reason for a DS520 could as far as I can see only be a benefit if you want a stronger servo. Otherwise the DS420 is rated both as a better (and lighter) servo. If the torque is the reason.... add the chinese weights or swap to the new tail blade grips and continue with the DS420. A DS520 will ( I assume) also change the CGT.

/Per-Olov

It looks like the rating is based on speed.
mickeyjohnston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to move the tail pitch slider (with or without the tail blades) easily without much force and when I let go of the pushrod, it would stay in place instead of move back to the center. The basically cures the high-torque needed to move the original tail slider due to design flaws. 2) I substituted the Align DS420 with a DS520 servo. Iím not sure if the 520 is needed after my fix above since I made the changes at the same time but the 520 definitely packs a bigger punch in terms of torque delivered to the tail slider.
As a result of the above changes, My GYRO Sensitivity which was previously at 60% is now up to 70%. I am probably also able to move it up to 75% without getting much wag but since I have changed my pinion from 15T to 16T now, I had to dial it back a little to prevent tail wag.
The Heli now feels locked in. I have yet to test full collective climb outs but I have a feeling the tail will hold this time round. Hereís to having more enjoyable flights rather than an expensive paper weight
Iíve also ordered a set of new tail grips from Align which comes with the counter weights. Iíll put them on to see if they perform as well as my mod but I doubt it since Iíve seen a video on YouTube which shows that the weights on the new tail grips are still not heavy enough to counter the tennis raquet effect. We shall seeÖ
UPDATE Ė 4 July 2009 : Iíve installed the new tail grips from Align (which comes with the larger screw heads Ė thus new allen screwdriver is needed), and true enough, the weights on them does not make a big enough difference. As such I decided to put on my mod onto the tail which seems to even improve it more. Pls refer to the pictures below to see how Iíve done it.
fitflops is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in