Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Henseleit Three Dee Rigid - Build Videos

German model helicopters pioneered the sport and these days German helicopters are synonymous with thorough engineering and high quality production. Jan Henseleit helicopters set a high standard with innovative design, simplicity and elegance to produce high-end throughbreds.

The Three Dee Rigid is Jan's electric 700 initially trialled by Curtis Youngblood earlier this year and released a few weeks ago - don't go rushing down to your LHS to find one though - production is slow and thorough with an estimated 300 to be released a year !

The TDR is a FBL only heli utilising Mikado's V-Bar v4 unit which Jan states is necessary to realise the full speed potential of the TDR which has been clocked at an astonishing 185 km/hr

Using 12S lipo packs the power plant uses the Kontronic Pyro motor capable of putting out around 4kW - the power train is two stage to deliver a final gear ratio for 12S of 12.38:1 - a larger 15t pinion is available for 10S to deliver 10.7:1.

Characterised by a HUGE canopy reminiscent of an Olympic sprinter's helmet or maybe a toothless Alien the TDR adopts an aggressive stance due to it's low placed rotor head - tall frames however deliver a boom-blade clearance of 165mm - the same as my MA Stratus !

It is tautological to state that the parts are of über quality and much of the tedious work of assembly has been done by Henseleit - in addition a low parts count means that assembly is rapid and not difficult. The ease of build is offset by the care needed to set up head geometry and the gear train exactly right to deliver perfomance and prevent early failure of the high power transmission system.

I feel my build videos are pretty mundane compared to the beauty of this helicopter and I plan to go on and cover the set up of V-Bar on this heli - also simplified by a supplied preset for the TDR - hope some of my vids can enable you to taste the quality and elegance of this fabulous heli

TDR1 - Whats in the Box ! - wmv 124MB

TDR2 Rotor Head Assembly - wmv - 82MB

TDR3 - Gear & Shaft Assembly - wmv 156MB

TDR4 - Gear and Frame Assembly - wmv 124MB

TDR5 - Servo & Motor Installation - wmv 126MB.

TDR6 - Tail assembly - wmv 82mb

TDR6b - TT assembly and tail repair after crash - 67MB wmv

TDR7 - Overview of Avionics Installation - wmv - 125MB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.8.jpg
Views:	14935
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	118606  

Last edited by Jason Cole; 01-21-2020 at 09:40 AM..
Mercuriell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default The videos

Don't let the plain cardboard box fool you! - or the scrunched up German tabloid inside - the bits are all in there carefully wrapped up in German (and English!) labelled baggies

TDR1 - Whats in the Box ! - wmv 124MB

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040228.JPG
Views:	14726
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	118607  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Rotor Head

TDR2 Rotor Head Assembly - wmv - 82MB

Simplicity itself - the guts of the Rigid philosopy - two Delrin formers with large O rings in two hardnesses giving 4 different combinations.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040247.JPG
Views:	15857
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	118617  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 10-07-2009 at 05:50 AM..
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Servo & Motor Installation

TDR5 - Servo & Motor Installation - wmv 126MB

Servo installation pretty straightforward - critical point is to get the elevator servo ball-link EXACTLY in the midline - a variable spacer for the servo supplied to enable this. Vids show the Scorpion 4035-500 and Kontronic Pyro install - the Kontronic is drop in - the Scorpion required the pinion to be countersunk to accommodate the shoulder and circlip in the shaft.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040293.JPG
Views:	13244
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	120068   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040327.JPG
Views:	14981
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	120069  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 10-15-2009 at 04:16 AM..
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Gear & Frame Assembly

TDR4 - Gear and Frame Assembly - wmv 124MB

Assembly of gear shafts into upper frame and assembly of lower frame with skids and mating up the two together - starting to look like a real heli!!

Gear shaft assembly is really important with up to 4kW of power going through those gears you want to make sure there is correct backlash (allow for heat expansion and high spots on the mouldings) and lack of endfloat - the spiral cut gears will tend to put axial forces on the shafts.

Correct use of supplied 0.5/0.3/0.2mm shims enables end play adjustment whilst backlash is adjustable in the motor pinion to intermediate gear and crown gear to TT pinion take off.

Frames go together simply with nice use of silicone covered frame spacers to act as a non-slip lipo tray and clever glass reinforced plastic mouldings to mount the CF struts.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040284.JPG
Views:	14022
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	119111   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040263.JPG
Views:	14419
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	119112  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 10-10-2009 at 02:46 AM..
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

TDR6 - Tail assembly - wmv 82mb

TDR6b - TT assembly and tail repair after crash - 67MB wmv

Here we go - tail assembly - pretty straightforward - elegant, simple, tough design. The TT is a an alloy 5mm tube - supported by three bearings in X plastic blocks mounted in an 920mm x 25mm ali boom - the boom and TT in my kit came ready assembled so I have added in a vid of a crash repair rebuild of the tail boom.

The tail is a bit unusual in that the rotor blades go contrary to most common practice ie clockwise rather than anticlockwise viewed end-on.

Got my tail gearbox upside down in some of the video so just make sure your tail spindle shaft pokes out the opposite side to the mounting holes for the vertical fin - I do mention this in the vid but couldn't bear to breakdown the whole assembly and re-film

Also note I set up my tail grips with trailing edge control as the hex indents on the grips would suggest and I have had good flights with this - however the manual does show leading edge control so I would suggest you do as Jan recommends

In flight the tail quite sensitive to gyro gain - too little and it wags to much and it hunts - the sweet spot is very much HS sensitive and critical to within ~4% - I'll detail my flight settings later

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040300.JPG
Views:	13010
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	120919  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 11-28-2009 at 06:29 PM..
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

TDR7 - Overview of Avionics Installation - wmv - 125MB

After a few flights a little overview of the ESC /V-Bar and Rx installation with a peek at the fracture points showed up by too hard autos !!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040309.JPG
Views:	11814
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	122618  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 11-01-2009 at 04:00 AM..
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

Default Gear Shafts

TDR3 - Gear & Shaft Assembly - wmv 156MB

Having an intermediate gear makes a bit more work - needless to say the gears are beautifully machined - essential in the power train to setup with some backlash to allow for expansion when heated in use and prevent binding.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040256.JPG
Views:	14452
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	118774  

Last edited by Mercuriell; 10-09-2009 at 09:41 PM..
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Outstanding!!! Never thought I'd see build videos on this heli. I'm on the waiting list for mine. If I'm lucky, I might see it by the start of next years flying season. Looking forward to following your progress and thanks for sharing. Are you going to use the Pyro motor and 80 or 120HV Jive? What about batteries?
whytlotus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytlotus View Post
Outstanding!!! Never thought I'd see build videos on this heli. I'm on the waiting list for mine. If I'm lucky, I might see it by the start of next years flying season. Looking forward to following your progress and thanks for sharing. Are you going to use the Pyro motor and 80 or 120HV Jive? What about batteries?
I'm waiting for the Pyro - have a Scorpion 4035 pro tem but Jan says it's more likely to strip gears - also doesn't take M4 mount bolts and you have to countersink the pinion to get it to fit over the shoulder on the Scorpion shaft.

Gonna use a heatsinked Jive HV80 and initially two 6S 4000 Hobby City packs though I have some DB Lipo 4300 12S stick packs on order
Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome heli John! Is it yours?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

The rodent is on board, let's get this thing started
Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright! How much does the kit cost?? Does the motor come with it?? I have tried to get on the waiting list but to no avail! I want one!
Dogdocphil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdocphil View Post
Alright! How much does the kit cost?? Does the motor come with it?? I have tried to get on the waiting list but to no avail! I want one!
I just sent Jan an email and about a week later he replied and said I was on the list. Motor doesn't come with kit which I believe is currently 1260 euros with Mikado/ Henseleit version v-bar. 888 euros just for the kit.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
I'm waiting for the Pyro - have a Scorpion 4035 pro tem but Jan says it's more likely to strip gears - also doesn't take M4 mount bolts and you have to countersink the pinion to get it to fit over the shoulder on the Scorpion shaft.

Gonna use a heatsinked Jive HV80 and initially two 6S 4000 Hobby City packs though I have some DB Lipo 4300 12S stick packs on order
So what size main blades are those? Were they included or an add on? Thought I read somewhere that Jan includes a heatsink, or sells one for the Jive. Haven't heard of DB batteries..where did you order them from? I am going with Desire Power 12s 35c 4500mah sticks. I think they are making 45c 12s sticks @ 4000 mah as well. The 35c / 4500mah's were $253.00 a piece. Very reasonable, I thought.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great John! Impressive heli and vids so far.

What I like over all are you oven gloves, ever since your Trex 600 vids. Where can I get those?
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks great! Lucky man
helicraze is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

jealous here.....
Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytlotus View Post
So what size main blades are those? Were they included or an add on? Thought I read somewhere that Jan includes a heatsink, or sells one for the Jive. Haven't heard of DB batteries..where did you order them from? I am going with Desire Power 12s 35c 4500mah sticks. I think they are making 45c 12s sticks @ 4000 mah as well. The 35c / 4500mah's were $253.00 a piece. Very reasonable, I thought.
I bought the blades with the kit - they are white 710s and they look like SABs to me though they have no ID marks on other than RIGID ! There was a heatsink included which I epoxied onto the Jive. Typo there I meant DN batteries - the Desire cells are very attractively priced and I have heard some good reports.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I found the vids, just watching it now.

Thanks

Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobbyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in