Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OS YS check valve interchangeable or other options

Trying to research options for check valves.

Would like to find out if YS engine check valves are compatible with OS checkvalves. They look the same.

Second question- are there any other high performance check valves that might be better for the purpose of holding tank pressure for the bottom of the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think specifications for both OS & YS one-way valves were ever published - so can't say they are officially 'compatible' - but if you have run both engines, they seem to be similar in the pressure they kept in the tank. So - If I were completely stuck - I would try.

Can you clarify you second question ?

What do you mean when you say:
Quote:
for the bottom of the engine
mdu6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you call Rich at YS, he will tell you that the YS check valve is specific to YS motors.
I never talked to anyone at OS, but I bet they will tell you the same for theirs.

I have never seen / heard of a high performance 1 way check valve. i cannot image what the benefits would be.

My YS check values hold pressure indefinitely.
If the tank loses pressure quickly after the flight, I attribute that to leakage at the stopper or a split fuel line or the tank is cracked.
I have a little air pump that has a 1psi to 20psi regulator on it. If I suspect a fuel system leak, then I fill that tank with water and then pressurize it with 7psi or 8psi and look for water.
The air pump is connected to the 1-way. I will just let it sit for 20 min and see if the tank is holding.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdu6 View Post
I don't think specifications for both OS & YS one-way valves were ever published - so can't say they are officially 'compatible' - but if you have run both engines, they seem to be similar in the pressure they kept in the tank. So - If I were completely stuck - I would try.

Can you clarify you second question ?

What do you mean when you say:
Maybe not technically the bottom, but bottom relative to heli. Anyway the back plate with the nipple if you will.

Thank you for the comment. I agree they seem approximately the same pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
If you call Rich at YS, he will tell you that the YS check valve is specific to YS motors.
I never talked to anyone at OS, but I bet they will tell you the same for theirs.

I have never seen / heard of a high performance 1 way check valve. i cannot image what the benefits would be.

My YS check values hold pressure indefinitely.
If the tank loses pressure quickly after the flight, I attribute that to leakage at the stopper or a split fuel line or the tank is cracked.
I have a little air pump that has a 1psi to 20psi regulator on it. If I suspect a fuel system leak, then I fill that tank with water and then pressurize it with 7psi or 8psi and look for water.
The air pump is connected to the 1-way. I will just let it sit for 20 min and see if the tank is holding.
Good tips. Thanks.

As far as high performance I was thinking more along the lines of a well made check valve that would have a more robust construction with perhaps a precision ball spring combination and something that would not likely clog or be too sensitive.

The tiny YS And OS check valves seem sensitive to the slightest gumming or debris. The other day I noticed that even if you tighten the pieces too hard the check valve does not a want to open.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There aren't many other one-way valve makers still out there.

Perry of course use to make one and maybe others - but nothing drastically different the current OS/YS design.

That being said - they are pretty reliable - once every 2 of 3 months I just disconnect them and blow some air thru it to make sure it does not clog or left with any debris.
mdu6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I clean the valves after every flight session- they do get dirty- just use clean fuel and dont lose the littler diaphram. Its easier than replacing a piston,ring and sleeve if you get too lean.

Arclight338 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight338 View Post
I clean the valves after every flight session- they do get dirty- just use clean fuel and dont lose the littler diaphram. Its easier than replacing a piston,ring and sleeve if you get too lean.
Sounds reasonable. Do you just clean in alcohol or something.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqowen View Post
Sounds reasonable. Do you just clean in alcohol or something.
Denatured alcohol will work,but I prefer clean fuel. Any petroleum solvent or carb cleaner will attack the fuel lines and the diaphragm.

Arclight338 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight338 View Post
Denatured alcohol will work,but I prefer clean fuel. Any petroleum solvent or carb cleaner will attack the fuel lines and the diaphragm.
What about airflow sensor cleaner. I use it on a thing plastic and supposed to be safe. Expensive tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in