Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

View Poll Results: Did you find this thread helpful?
Very Helpful 7 46.67%
Helpful 4 26.67%
Not so helpful 2 13.33%
No comment 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can I please get a very accurate figure of what rev range the Diamond 60 motor and pipe combo work or were designed to run at!
Pretty Please!
Running kme in a RJX Extreme (60) FBL Vbar, and it seems I run out of legs above 2000+ head speed! (8.5 ratio) +- 12 degrees, 8+- cyclic!
Seems to hang on more at 1850 -1900 better than any higher! Thats 16150 engine revs.
Would this be about were the pipe works best?
Thanks Rolf
Fang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have mine running well in my velocity it has a 8.6 gear ratio and running 2080 head speed with a outrage 90 pipe even running 14 degrees of pitch with edge blades it is very hard to bog the motor or even feel like it is nor running well i have tried it at 2180 and it wasn't as strong. At 1850 the motor doesn't give as nice a punch or feel as strong.

So i would think that around the 18,000 rpm mark would be the best sport to run this motor may vary with the different pipe but not by a lot. I'm going to try that pipe next and have some edge 623's to try, it is a really strong motor i'm liking it better than my 55 hyper.

Can't wait for there 110 im not going to get into a 90 sized heli until this motor comes out.
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Head Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomanmel View Post
Guys we did have some tolerance issues with the Rear bearings in some of the early models. We found that we had to have our Lathe in a climate controlled environment..
If you tightened the crank shaft down it would put some pressure on the rear bearing causing the rear bearing to fail.
If any of you have this problem please send it in we will supply you with a new crank case. You can send in the engine or just the crank we will get it back to you within 2 days.
The address is on our site.
http://www.kmeengines.com/Contact_Us.php
Thanks guys
Well this sure sheds some light on the problem I've had with my KME 60. I noticed some preload on the bearings when I initially bolted up the fan hub. But she has been an absolute MONSTER this winter when the temps were in the freezing range.

It's been running so hot this summer I had to pull it, and I noticed it was still tight. It must actually be causing the engine to run hot with the higher ambients. I couldn't get her to run cool no matter how much I richened the mixture. Thanks for the heads-up Jerome! I'll be sending you a crankcase.

Jay
Knight Flight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine loves cooler temps. outside also. Before we got into the 60s she would scream and run on anything I wanted to feed it. During the warmer weather mine did not run as strong and it would only run on 30% nitro, I never had too much of a prob. with it getting too hot so far this year just not running as good.

Jerome sent me a new case and it is doing a lot better, but I still have not gotten it to run like the colder weather. I have only was able to put a 3/4 gallon through it so far since I put the new case on, I have been having probs. with the the gov. now so just running throttle curves. I have a itch to start night flying again and that is going to be my night bird so I will be working on her this week.
SAB Buddy Egodrift Tengu 3220HS/960kV, Spirit FBL
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello All,
I am planning to buy KME 60.
Unfortunately,in my country I am able to buy two kinds of fuel: Powerful by Rapicon and Tornado.I have read that CoolPower makes the engine stain.
What fuel would you recomend?
DEMON(SPb) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think there is actually any problem with coolpower there are a lot of helis around the globe running on it without issues. So really any 30% nitro heli fuel should work well. I have been loving this engine no issues yet, and have been thinking of getting a second one for another heli.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been running coolpower 30% for a few gallons now and still can't seem to get it tuned right. It runs the best at 1.5 turns out, anything less and it leans out and actually quits. I'm running around 11 deg for pitch, bogs too easy otherwise. But, at 1.5 turns it won't rev beyond 17800 rpm. I've been trying to get it up to 18500, but no go. My Vision 50 has a 8.72 ratio which would put target HS at 2150.

This is my first nitro and I'm the only one at my field with the KME so I've been on my own thus far. To date I've replaced the ring twice, installed a new piston/sleeve/ring after another burn up at about 1.2 turns. This weekend at 1.3 turns it leaned out and quit again while just rolling on axis. Fuel lines have all been replaced twice, pickup is a lynx fuel magnet, also tried a OMI variant.

Now that I've discovered the engine I have in combination with coolpower and/or my climate in MN, definitely likes to run at 1.5+ turns out, I'm installing a new ring to bring compression back up and renew the break-in process yet again.

My pipe has a dent from the skid buckling after a hard auto from one of the inverted shutdowns, I wonder how much that affects performance...

This has been a frustrating journey. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

Starting to notice my KME 60 is running low on compression after about 20 litres of fuel ring looks good, liner looks good and the rest of the motor looks like brand new. I will just replace the ring and see how it goes. I love the power this motor makes but with the low compression it is hard to start, stalls easily at low throttle and will not idle. It sure is a temperamental thing tuning every time i go fly, where my os just starts and runs without issue.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

UPDATE for my post above. Today I decided to mess with the low mixture and what a difference that made. I opened it to just under 1 turn from 1/4 turn and I was able to drop the main down a few clicks. Now it's making GOBS of power. I now see what everyone has been talking about. It's pulling very strong. I'm running 600mm WC Mavrickks, a 40mm wider Mikado head and around 13 pitch at 2050 HS.

It would seem the low has a large influence over the entire throttle band. Is this true for all dual needle carbs?

I'm not sure why 1/4 turn is recommended for the low needle, that definitely doesn't jive with my particular engine. Maybe Jerome can shed some light? I know earlier on they had said 1 turn, then it changed to 1/4 turn. My main is now just under 1.5 turns, I'll temp it soon.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you get a nice idle?

I find with mine at just a fraction under 1/4 when you pinch the ine after a flight it runs for 5 seconds, there is a slight pause then a rev and dead. any higher and it runs on for a lot longer.

Mine only seemed to idle nicely when it was being broken in then after that once i leaned the main needle a bit it was a pain especially when cold. I also have a very narrow range where it will tune 3-4 clicks and it will either be spitting out raw fuel and struggle to make head speed and running lean but not getting hot. Swapping blades causes it to bog badly when i put on some sab 620's it needs to run right on the edge of being lean any less and it bogs and struggles to even spool up. I't has massive power though and once up to head speed will not bog down with 13 degrees of pitch. I just wish i could get it a bit more consistent. I might have to try the KME pipe and throw in a new ring.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^ Nah. It is a smooth idle, but still very rich. It doesn't come up on RPMs well until it burns out the excess fuel, then it springs to life. I had to bump up the low end point 15% just to get it to start/idle. But once airborne she's a monster, so I'll live with a less than ideal low end for now.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had to do the same.... boost up the low end and hold on to your horses. Great Motor!
RandyMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello fellow KME owners . I'm checking this part of forum after a long, loooong time.

And i have a question. So, till now, i've been running motor on approx. 17k RPM (2000 headspeed). I just recently noticed that manuals says that recomanded RPM are 19k-20k. And i sure could use some more power. So, is it ok for me to run motor on 19k RPM? Did anyone had any problems with that?
Align T-Rex 250
zosek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #194 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone tried a Cline Regulator on the KME 60 with KME Carb? I love the power but would like the tuning and fuel delivery a little more bulletproof.
flyingfitz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered Users

nevermind

Last edited by crash8384; 04-28-2012 at 04:29 AM..
crash8384 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #196 (permalink)
Registered Users

nevermind

Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

nevermind

Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Motor died again after 20 secs.? I can not get mine to run good on a gov. so I run it on curves and I have done some major over reving on it and mine is still going never had any issues other than loading up on the lower end.
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs down

nevermind

Last edited by crash8384; 04-28-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered Users

nevermind

Last edited by crash8384; 04-28-2012 at 04:31 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in